Giving back to HKD

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It’s been my aim for many years to teach my students to become better than me thus strengthening the future of HKD. I see many teachers (of many styles) who want to always be one step ahead of their best student even to the point of holding them back on purpose.

I also wish to stay one step ahead through continued training & perfecting the skills I’ve been taught but not at the risk of holding back a student as I feel my greatest gift to the art would be adding another practitioner of high standards. I know this could come across as being egotistic but I don’t consider myself the best, an expert or anywhere near perfect. Even a life time of training wouldn’t make me perfect.

My question is what would or are some of the goals / gifts to the art that my fellow HKD brothers & sisters are working towards or achieved.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good thread,Spud.

One way I look at it is "I want to teach myself out of my job."

The only thing I can do to try and further our own particular Hapkido is to ensure that every student has a firm grasp on Kebonsu and the three principles.

I feel that there will always be somebody bigger,faster,and stronger..maybe even someone with more gawd-given talent,and that's fine. I am on my path and they are on theirs. It is my job to get them started on that path with as firm of footing as possible.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know I have heard my pop say "If they did bad, then I have failed them." Look at it at that perspective. When I taught a kids judo class I felt the same way. If a kid performed like a numbskull, I didn't necessarily blame him or her. Nope I would blame myself, at least partially.

Latest Discussions