Give 50,000 volts for Christmas

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had heard about it. I had read about it. Yesterday, while driving in suburban Maine, I heard my first radio commercial for this thing.

http://www.taser.com/products/consumers/pages/c2.aspx

And, for just $300.00 dollars, you're loved one can become part of the escalating circle of violence. It's non-lethal, right? Well, mostly. Hey, it's even available in fashion colors, like Pink, and Blue.

The TASER C2 is our newest product designed for personal protection. Utilizing the same technology as our proven law enforcement models, the C2 has incredible take down power.

The TASER C2 is a self-defense electronic control device. Electronic Control Devices (ECDs) use propelled wires or direct contact to conduct energy to affect the sensory and motor functions of the nervous system. The TASER C2 uses a replaceable cartridge, containing compressed nitrogen, to deploy two small probes that are attached to the TASER C2 by insulated conductive wires with a maximum length of 15 feet (4.5 meters). The TASER C2 transmits electrical pulses along the wires and into the body affecting the sensory and motor functions of the peripheral nervous system. The energy can penetrate up to two cumulative inches of clothing.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. Nothing wrong with giving people a way to defend themselves against violence.

Jeff

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would buy and carry it if i had the money. But i would have the brains to use it only in situations where my life was being threatened. Its no different then carrying a gun except with this i would be less likely to kill the person while still giving me time to get away. However yes, the person may die but they have a better chance of surviving that then a bullet.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For good people with self-defense sense, it could be great. A person who mightn't have it in them to shoot another human being even in self-defense might be willing to zap one.

But...there are so many things that could go wrong, and so many ways it could be abused/misapplied. I do have some concerns.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
And, for just $300.00 dollars, you're loved one can become part of the escalating circle of violence. It's non-lethal, right? Well, mostly. Hey, it's even available in fashion colors, like Pink, and Blue.

"Escalating circle of violence", what is the difference in training a loved one martial arts to hurt/injure your attacker to get away safely and using a taser to ensure that both people are unharmed?

Now let's get some actual facts straight about the taser....

1) NO ONE has ever died from being tasered alone. Every case that has been looked into there was a precipitating cause from preexisting health issues. The high stress of the situation contributed to their death. NOT being tasered. Look at the medical research on it, and how it actually works and not the media hype.

2) 50,000 is the potential energy used to jump from point of contact through clothing or other barrier. The voltage to the body itself is only 5,000 volts. In case your wondering, a static charge from carpet delivers 30,000 volts into the body, while the Van Degraff Generators used at kid's museums to get their hair to stand up is 1,000,000 volts. So volts has nothing to do with anything, it is the amperes that cause harm. The taser uses .0034 amps, which is less energy than it takes to light a small christmas light bulb on your tree.

I see it as a very good gift idea for a responsible person to help give them some time to escape safely without causing permanent injury to the subject (If you have been tasered you know that when the five seconds is up there is no more pain. It is over, it's not like a muscle strike that keeps hurting afterwards or pepper spray that stays for a long time).

Check you local laws though, as of 05/06 (my last instructors manual I have) 43 states allowed the taser to be used for civilian use while DC, HI, MA, MI, NJ, NY, RI, and WI restrict it for civilian use.

Latest Discussions