Girls, what's under your gi?

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that the skin tight feel is somehow wrong, but is better stuff under a vest than anything else I have tried, especially as summer really rolls in.

imitation_vanilla

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I highly recommend a short-sleeved Nike Pro top. It's long enough to tuck under the waistband of your gi pants; well-ventilated; your shoulders are covered, so they don't stick to the mat if you have no-gi class; while wearing a gi, it prevents chafing under your arms; very comfortable, and it has a high neck, so you feel covered! It's pricey, but if you practice often it's worth it.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wear nothing under my gi and I'm at least close to a B. Sorry I couldn't help it.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is with all these thread necros today? This thread is 13 years old for crying out loud!

halie18

White Belt
Reaction score
HI! Where I train, most men don't wear a t-shirt. With the women there is the group of "t-shirt wearers" and the other of "sports bra wearers" (which I belong to). As I have heard the gi is the traditional japanese MALE underwear. And imagine that wearing a kimono (as a female) you do not have much freedom of moving. I tried a seven layered kimono. I wasn't almost able to walk. So Aikidoka (male as well as female) wear male clothing.
I think that makes the difference.
When I started in Tae Kwon Do first and put my gi on for the first time, in this dojo only men (there were no advanced women) had gi's (with nothing under). So I tried this, too. And I spent most of the time adjusting my gi. Otherwise it would have been a nice technique (only working with male partners) as previously suggested.......

Since then I always wear something under my gi. And I reduced it to the min: a very comfortable upliftedlingerie sports bra. That's my philosophy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
16 years later you can now of course get rash vests pretty much anywhere in almost any design that work like a charm under a gi.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have female students that wear a bjj rashguard/ spandex style shirt under their karate gi. They are wicking so they breathe well and don't get too hot.

Latest Discussions