Gi size

jayjudomma

White Belt
Reaction score
hi I'm new here . iv done martial arts for a few years now but due to a serious injury i couldn't train got lazy and put on a fair bit of weight . I'm 135kg and only 5ft8 so need to drop some body fat . anyway iv started training in Judo and Jujitsu . and need to buy a Gi what as the wider fit and does anybody know if a 180cm judo Gi would be wide enough thank you for all replies in advance . OSU

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hi I'm new here . iv done martial arts for a few years now but due to a serious injury i couldn't train got lazy and put on a fair bit of weight . I'm 135kg and only 5ft8 so need to drop some body fat . anyway iv started training in Judo and Jujitsu . and need to buy a Gi what as the wider fit and does anybody know if a 180cm judo Gi would be wide enough thank you for all replies in advance . OSU

but nobody know how wide you are? When i was buying a suit a got a tape measure and measured my self, round the chest and inside leg, perhaps that where you should start, or go somewhere and try one on, is another plan

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This varies widely by gi brand, and sometimes by model within a brand (I have a size 3 and size 5, and both fit). Your best bet is to ask your instructor. He/she has probably spent a lot of time helping people select appropriate dogi, and can probably tell you which size you need in their favorite brand/model.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never understand why people ask this kind of question here since your instructor sees you he'd know best.

Best of luck and welcome

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This varies widely by gi brand, and sometimes by model within a brand (I have a size 3 and size 5, and both fit). Your best bet is to ask your instructor. He/she has probably spent a lot of time helping people select appropriate dogi, and can probably tell you which size you need in their favorite brand/model.

Yeah, ask your instructor. I can't imagine he wouldn't have told you. Or if you are in a club type setting, that one of the leaders hasn't told you what is best.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, ask your instructor. I can't imagine he wouldn't have told you. Or if you are in a club type setting, that one of the leaders hasn't told you what is best.
I know some clubs, and even some schools, welcome a wide range of uniforms, so there may not be a standard. But the folks there are much more likely to be able to help out, especially if there are any other big folks in the group - they can help find something that fits well. What fits my body type would be a poor fit for the OP, regardless of size.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
but nobody know how wide you are? When i was buying a suit a got a tape measure and measured my self, round the chest and inside leg, perhaps that where you should start, or go somewhere and try one on, is another plan

Yeah I have a large upper body so my the gi jacket is sort of snug while the pants are the right fit. Size charts don't apply to everyone.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen a few size charts that seem to apply to nobody, at all, IB.

Wow that so sounds like a very counter productive chart lol. Taken the gi jacket off after a training session is a real struggle. The sweat makes it cling more and it's just a pain that sometimes I just leave it on until it dries.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that so sounds like a very counter productive chart lol. Taken the gi jacket off after a training session is a real struggle. The sweat makes it cling more and it's just a pain that sometimes I just leave it on until it dries.
I seem to remember one chart specifying size 5 was for people up to 6 feet tall (maybe it was 6' 1") and up to 130 pounds. Who the heck is that???