Gi Recommendations?

slideyfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
This forum seems rather quiet, so might as well ask the usual question - what gi would you recommend, and why? Speaking personally, the next one I plan to buy is a Vulkan because it's lightweight: although I don't have to drop much weight for competition (should be finally getting round to one next month), would still help. ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to wonder how well the Vulcan will hold up with a light weave and all. My experience with light weaves is that they lasted about two to three months and that is pricey for only that length of time. Atama has always been okay for me and I also like the Swain S Series. I try to stay away from anything that is single weaved.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some guys at my school are very happy with their vulcan gis. They've held up nicely.

The most popular gi at our school is the Koral, and I have just inherited a nice hand-me-down Koral from a friend and love it. I can't afford them new though.

My favorite gi at the moment, though, is my gold weave Sirius Gi. Right price and high quality. This is a nice sturdy gi (I got the heavier gold weave, but they also make a lighter gold weave version). What is nice is that after a month of washing it hasn't shrunk length wise. I'm long and lean, so my biggest problem with gis is shrinking length wise. I also like the one piece construction of the jacket better than the ones with skirts. Anyway, I found it in the clearance section of the Sirius Athletic website for ~$85, so ended up a little less than $100 delivered to my door.

I also own a couple of Atama gis, one single weave, and one gold weave. These gis hold up nicely, but I don't particularly like the cut of the gis. They stay long like the Sirius, but just never seem to fit quite right. It's looser all the way around, especially in the sleaves, and seems to have more lapels. If you like using your gi to attack others (sleaves and lapels) Atama is good for that stuff, but it also allows them to use it against you. Also, when I was shopping around last for gis I noticed that prices on Atamas have gone up since I bought them.

So, I think my next gi purchase will be another Sirius. I also have to praise the Koral too, but I think even if I had the money I would stick with Sirius.

temagami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That last post on Atama Gi's is encouraging. Thanks! I actually like a loose fitting Gi - ya see, we're not always grappling. We do a lot of standing techniques as well as standing joint locks. I hate a Gi which comes out of your belt as soon as you raise your hands. In fact, my worry is that the front of the Gi is not long enough - I'm looking at the Atama Mundial. Does anyone have this Gi? I'm also looking for a decent price. If I put my hands up above my head - would this Gi come out of the belt?

Also, how heave is the Mundial - I like a durable Gi but I'm not looking to wear Armour.

Someone told me thheir Atama Gi shrunk 5 inches; someone else said it didn't shrink at all.... hmmmmmm

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'll stick with my Ouano's. For the price they seem to offer fairly consistent quality and reliability. My more expensive gi's (Koral) didn't outlast them so I have to ask why would I pay more?

Ultimately, however, each gi has a particular feel and fit. You have to find one that suits you. Big guys like the korals because they tend to be roomier, same with atama. The Howards are really stiff and thick, which I'm not crazy about. My KF fighter gi's shrunk to a ridiculous extent so that I couldn't even wear them anymore.

OP
slideyfoot

slideyfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
So far, I've found I'm most comfortable in my Padilla & Sons gold-weave. Looks like they're back in stock, so hopefully that will still be the case when I next need to buy another gi.

Great customer service, good fit, and damn cheap (cost me less than £60 despite having it shipped to the UK). Very good review here, which is what got me interested in them in the first place.

temagami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I jsut ordered an Atama Mundial from a store in California - allowed me to pay through paypal and gave me a 13% discount (which is the shipping). I'll let you all know what it's like when I get it. I'm still concerned about the length of the skirt (I like them a little longer) but I did order a size up. I order and A4 and I'm 5"11 207lbs. So hopefully it'll have some extra room in it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was bought a Vitamins and Minerals one from Brazil which is great but expensive. We had a problem getting good affordable Gi's so my instructor has had some designed and made for us which are proving very popular. We're selling them for £50 (about $100?) which is cheap for the UK. Touch wood they are selling well.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't you just hate picking out a new Gi? The best one I ever had was sewn by an old Sensi of mine, he did it as a side-line, too bad I grew out of it years ago.

temagami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I got my Atama in the mail. It's awesome! But I'm sending it back. :rolleyes:
This Gi is perfect - the Mundial has all kind of reinforcements and the cut is great. The pants are the most comfortable I've ever tried on. However, watch the sizes!!

I'm 5'11 and 207 so I picked: 6'0-6'4 200-250lbs. That fit perfectly. However it JUST fit perfectly. The Gi is made of 100% cotton - thick; they are not pre-shrunk. So, if it shrinks even 1" then it's too small for me.

Now, I want this thing to last a LONG time; so I'm going to have to send it back, pay a bunch of shipping, and go for the A5. The A5 is also 6.0 - 6'4 but it's 225-275lbs - so I'm assuming the arms and skirt are a bit longer.

[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial][/FONT]

temagami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You know... If I could find a manufacturer to make a Gi to my specifications; I could sell them in droves!! Everyone I've talked to has the same complaints about cut - and to hear the women at the gym... whoo! There are very few Gi's out there to accommodate them.

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I got my Atama in the mail. It's awesome! But I'm sending it back. :rolleyes:
This Gi is perfect - the Mundial has all kind of reinforcements and the cut is great. The pants are the most comfortable I've ever tried on. However, watch the sizes!!

I'm 5'11 and 207 so I picked: 6'0-6'4 200-250lbs. That fit perfectly. However it JUST fit perfectly. The Gi is made of 100% cotton - thick; they are not pre-shrunk. So, if it shrinks even 1" then it's too small for me.

Now, I want this thing to last a LONG time; so I'm going to have to send it back, pay a bunch of shipping, and go for the A5. The A5 is also 6.0 - 6'4 but it's 225-275lbs - so I'm assuming the arms and skirt are a bit longer.
That's kind of weird. I'm not a whole lot smaller than you (5'10", 190lbs.), and the A3 fits me just great. Wearing an A5 would be like wearing a tent.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know... If I could find a manufacturer to make a Gi to my specifications; I could sell them in droves!! Everyone I've talked to has the same complaints about cut - and to hear the women at the gym... whoo! There are very few Gi's out there to accommodate them.

Have a chat with my instructor, he has all the contacts for manufacturers in Pakistan and can help you :wink2:.
As I said before ours are very good, having had them made for us but they would need a slight change for the US market..... the Union flag would have to be replaced by your flag!
Send me a PM if you think you could be interested for real!

temagami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I got it from a place called "North American Brazilian Jiu_jitsu Store"

http://nabjjf.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=49

You have an A3 and it's big? Is it a Mundial? Perhaps that's the size difference.

What's really funny is that the height for the A4 and the A5 is the same!! I talked to a gym owner who deal Atama and he said his shrunk 5 inches!! (I don't know if i believe that)

Latest Discussions