Gi Question

C

CED

Dear Forum Members,

sorry to bug you guys with this basic question, but i am not a student of Ninjutsu. i was flipping through the book "The Mystic Arts of the Ninja" by Stephen K. Hayes, and on the Acknowledgment page there is a picture of Mr. Hayes with his wife and instructor Grandmaster Hatsumi. I noticed that on both Mr. Hayes' gi and Grandmaster Hatsumi's gi there are several Japanese words or letters written on them. Mr. Hayes seems to have them on the outside flap of his gi and some on his belt. Grandmaster Hatsumi also has them on the outside flap but also on his chest and left shoulder. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum might know what these mean and or represent?

again, sorry for the "basic" question.

Thanks

CED

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know I have seen several pics of Hayes with the "Nin" logo on his GI.

Nin means, well, sorta, Perserverance...

The Kanji are Blade and Heart.

Dunno if thats what you saw, tho...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
sounds about right.

Might I ask why you are digging up threads that are 3 or 4 years old to post one liner responses? You have 10 posts so far, try making some quality ones, in current threads. We don't bite, honest! Go to the meet and greet section, make an introduction, then kick back and enjoy the forum and people.

bljohnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hard to say since I have not seen the pics you are talking about. Most likely they are the kanji for ninjutsu or the kanji for Bujinkan. The Bujinkan is the association that Sensei Hatsumi started that is made up of the nine schools he is master of. He teaches all nine schools as one art that he calls the Bujinkan. to learn more try going to http://westtennesseebujinkan.weebly.com

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hard to say since I have not seen the pics you are talking about. Most likely they are the kanji for ninjutsu or the kanji for Bujinkan. The Bujinkan is the association that Sensei Hatsumi started that is made up of the nine schools he is master of. He teaches all nine schools as one art that he calls the Bujinkan. to learn more try going to http://westtennesseebujinkan.weebly.com

Hi Mate, a quick heads up, might want to check the date of a thread before replying to it. You've necro'd about 3-4 threads from about 2007, with quite specific answers, which doesn't really contribute anything, as the people asking those questions either got an answer or left long ago.
So keep an eye out for that in future ;)
For the record though, the art Hatsumi teaches is called Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (BBT), just Bujinkan typically refers to the organization itself. And I wouldn't quite say he teaches all nine schools as one, but that's another kettle of fish.

Sanke on the move.

Latest Discussions