GGM Victor "Sonny" Gascon

Discussion in 'Seminars, Camps, Events & Tournaments' started by 14 Kempo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Grandmaster

... head of Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu will be leading a seminar in San Diego, California on Saturday, July 12th at 1:30 PM at West Coast Martial Arts Academy in 4S Ranch.

Sijo Sonny Gascon is the person responsible for bringing Shaolin Kempo from Hawaii to the mainland United States. Kempo, as we know it today, consists of 1 thru 6 katas, 1 thru 5 pinans and combinations 1 thru 26. If this is the basis of your style, then it is a descent of Sijo Sonny Gascon.

Sijo Gascon will be at West Coast Martial Arts Academy in 4S Ranch. The seminar will be on the history and development of the art of Shaolin Kempo and Hawaiian kempo. Sijo will talk about the differences of the two styles and the meaning of kempo as well as the modifications to the system over the past years.

Please don't miss this opportunity. Again, the seminar date is Saturday, July 12th at 1:30 PM. Hear the history seminar by Sijo Sonny Gascon. Then at 2:30 PM, there will be the pyshical seminar headed by Giuseppe Aliotta 6th Degree Black under Sijo Gascon. Also scheduled to be in attendance is Professor Mike Rash, 9th degree under Sijo Gascon. Giuseppe Aliotta has trainied in the art of Shaolin Kempo under Stepthen B. Demasco for over 18 years and is one of the highest ranks ever promoted by Grandmaster Stephen B. Demasco

Who: Sijo Sonny Gascon
    When: Saturday, July 12th
    Time: 1:30 PM
    Where: West Coast Martial Arts Academy, 19890-B Thornmint Road, San Diego, CA 92127
    Google Map

2. MJS

MJS Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Sounds like its going to be a good time. If I was closer, I'd love to go.

3. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Grandmaster

Well, things seemed to have gone well. The seminar got started a bit late, OK, an hour and a half late ... sorry folks. There was a group of green, brown and black belts either being recognized or testing in the presence of Sijo Gascon. From what I have been told, he was very happy with the result.

As for the seminar itself, those I had a chance to speak to afterwards, said they had a wonderful time. Sijo spent about an hour talking about the history of our art, from its inception. Unfortunately I was tied up with video and missed quite a lot of what was actually said.

SiGung Bradford Namahoe, Fullerton, CA, was in attendance and put on a physical seminar immediately following, showing four or five techniques off of punches and grabs. Also, Sifu Giuseppe Aliotta added a few Hawaiian Kempo movements prior to the end of the "show" Unfortunately Professor Mike Rash was unable to attend.

4. DavidCC

DavidCC Master of Arts

If you had Namahoe, you didn't need Rash :) Sifu Namahoe is very impressive. he did a palm break of 5 bricks for us that was really cool, and showed us some FMA style knife defenses when they came to our shcool back in 04.

We did record a DVD of an extensive interview with Gascon if you are interested in the history it can be orderd at http://www.kempokarate.com/geary_collection.cfm

5. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Grandmaster

No knife defenses were shown, but there were a few short and to the point techniques shown, by SiGung Namahoe, off punches and grabs.

6. Danjo

Danjo Master Black Belt

So did Sonny show anything?

7. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Grandmaster

No, as alluded to in the OP, GM Gascon spoke on the history of KGS ...

... and as mentioned in a follow-up post, others did the physical seminar ...

8. Danjo

Danjo Master Black Belt

Hmmm... Well, the reason I asked is that we have all wondered for a long time what the original Karazenpo stuff looked like, and I have yet to meet anyone that has seen Sonny demonstrate any. I know Sonny's old now, but I've got video of Sijo Emperado demonstrating Kajukenbo techniques even after he was confined to a wheelchair. Oh well, thanks for the reply.

9. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Grandmaster

You're in the O.C., you could look up Professor Rash in the Laguna area, or SiGung Namahoe in Fullerton. I'm sure they would be able to show some of the original stuff, as taught by GM Gascon. Locations

10. Danjo

Danjo Master Black Belt

I've seen Brad and Mike do their stuff, as well as their students. If that's original Karazenpo, then there IS no original Karazenpo. I was hoping that someone had actually seen Sonny demonstrate something. Like I said, thanks anyway.

11. RevIV

RevIV Black Belt

Danjo - MJS moved this part of the thread over to Kempo - I have a small question there.

12. KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE Brown Belt

Hi folks!
    I saw this post on another thread and thought I'd address it here first.
    I, for one, have seen Sijo Gascon move and have been taught techniques by him. I have also seen him demonstrate techniques on others [Prof. Rash and others]. I have seen him demonstrate techniques that are a direct correlation to kenpo karate/Shaolin Kempo techniques that I was taught in the past, as well as direct correllation to certain American Kenpo techniques i've learned as well. I have placed video clips on youtube to confirm that.
    I can personally assure you,danjo, and anyone else that Victor Gascon still has a good grasp of the style he created. He is simply happy that people are still carrying on the art of of his lineage in some form and/or fashion. That is the wonderful positive message he brings with him everywhere he goes.
    I hope that I was of some service,
    KENPOJOE
    Massachusetts co-vice president
    Karazenpo Goshinjutsu

13. Hand Sword

Hand Sword Grandmaster

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
    I feel horrible about such a late response to a sad event. I only heard about it a day ago and checked. Rest In Peace GGM Gascon.

HILARION VICTOR ?SONNY GAS? VILORIA GASCON « Honolulu Hawaii Obituaries - Hawaii Newspaper Obituaries
    HILARION VICTOR SONNY GAS VILORIA GASCON Age 80, of Pearl City, HI, passed away December 6, 2013 in Pearl City. Born March 6, 1933 in Honolulu, HI. He went to be with our Heavenly Father peacefully at home. Born in Pu’uloa, he was the founder of Karazenpo-Go- Shinjutsu and a retired Operating Engineers Local Union 3 as a business agent. A decorated Air Force veteran of the Korean War. Grandmaster Gascon is survived by wife, Frances Gascon; sons, Victor Gascon, Hilarion Gascon II, Bryan (Tara) Simpliciano; daughters, Angela (Joseph) Gahan, Colleen (Derek) Yuen; grandchildren: Victor III, Hilarion III, Daven, Taylor, Chase, Sky, Kaylee, Haylee, Rayne, Sage; great- granddaughter, Chloe Ann Gascon; 4 sisters, 1 brother, and numerous nephews & nieces. Visitation 5:00 p.m. Sunday (Jan 12) at Mililani Mortuary Mauka Chapel; Memorial Service 6:15 p.m."

14. tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    May he rest in peace123