Getting involved

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
From personal experiences at work, it would strongly depend on the situation. If it's an argument, just let them hash it out. If you suspect there might be more involvement, call 911. Like it was said earlier, you don't know what might happen, and I sure don't want to get in the middle of anything.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are about getting involved as a 3rd party in a confrontation? If there were two people in a verbal altercation, what would you do as a bystander? Get involved, call the police, do nothing, etc.? Once you state what you'd do, I'd also be interested in hearing why.

This does not have to be limited to just a verbal altercation. The possibilities are endless.

It's a lose, lose situation regardless of what you do. Like the others have said, keep cell ready to dial 911, get to safety yourself, protect your children etc.

However, sometimes you can intervene. Years ago I was a receptionist/sales assistant at a spa store on weekends and two older men, co-workers but full salesman (my superiors) had an argument that was becoming physical. I begged them, taking full advantage of my youth, not to "go outside". Since neither really wanted to, but neither was willing to back down, my "terror" gave both of them a way out. They weren't backing down from each other - they were keeping a "kid" from getting spooked.

On the other hand, when I was at a McDonald's with my 12 year old niece and a very loud and explosive argument began between a customer (jerk) and a manager (not a jerk, but clearly out of his depth), I quickly got her and myself out of there. My first priority and responsibility was her safety. I even made her leave her food, which she wasn't happy with, but 90% of effective self-defence is simply a willingness to leave quickly even if it means abandoning your "stuff", allowing yourself to lose an argument (not having to get the last word), or looking like a "chicken" (who really cares?).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:
Let them visually be aware that you are there.

This makes such a big difference! A standard technique for dispersing a large crowd is...taking pictures. It bothers peopel in a crowd to see someone snapping their picture. They think, Will I get in trouble later? It works.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
On the other hand, when I was at a McDonald's with my 12 year old niece and a very loud and explosive argument began between a customer (jerk) and a manager (not a jerk, but clearly out of his depth), I quickly got her and myself out of there. My first priority and responsibility was her safety. I even made her leave her food, which she wasn't happy with, but 90% of effective self-defence is simply a willingness to leave quickly even if it means abandoning your "stuff", allowing yourself to lose an argument (not having to get the last word), or looking like a "chicken" (who really cares?).

Lots of great sense in both your stories--parents all the time give kids a way out by saying "Blame the fact that you can't do X on me"--but this one especially displays the kind of common sense self-defense that, frankly, obviates the need for martial arts training. It's always tempting to watch something like this--but so much smarter to leave.

Latest Discussions