Getting into Fencing (Kids).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do the people who fence in college and national/intl. competitions get involved with the sport as kids? I see oriental martial arts schools everywhere but I've never seen a fencing school/club for kids. Is it only rich kids at private schools who fence, like in the movies?

P

Pakhet

My daughter was recently hooked up through a friend at school to an evening fencing class held in the basement of a local church. Since she's been interested for awhile I've been researching and our local community college also has a weekly beginning fencing class that accepts teenagers. The cost for either class is pretty minimal, about $10 a week.

Lisa

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think my 12 year old son would like some variant of it--be it fencing, kendo, or what-have-you--but I can't find any near us.

P

Pakhet

have you looked for fencing instructors through your local SCA? I believe that's where my Aunt started (she's been fencing forever) and there're chapters about everywhere...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that there used to be a fenceing instructer in a small N.C. town of KIng. Never even knew he exsisted till I acidently met his wife one day . He was at the local YMCA in Winston-Salem..
The y's and local youth/Boys/Girls clubs are good places to check.
Strange but if they advertise in the phone book they are usualy expensive but if they dont advertise prices are not to bad

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking sport fencing so no I didn't think of this but I suppose they might know where to go. There's a local college club but that's no help--they just train with one another, not local instructors.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
There's a local college club but that's no help--they just train with one another, not local instructors.

I have found that if you speak with these college students , they will have contacts to instructors in the area.

I have found a fencing master in the SCA, but he only teaches "play fencing". Look on the net for classical fencing texts.

Thanks
jeremy bays

T

thatoneguy

well here is a way to find a place any where near you

go to http://www.usfencing.org/
then click on the Internet Links on the far left side
then click clubs and divisions and then you can figure out the rest

D

Despairbear

Originally posted by Samurai

I have found a fencing master in the SCA, but he only teaches "play fencing". Look on the net for classical fencing texts.

What do you mean by "play fencing"?

Despair Bear

Latest Discussions