Getting in Fighting Shape... for Summer

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
About the steak thing, is that just because you phased-out of the more rare cooking style, or that you developed a taste for a bit of bark (bark is the char on the outside of the meat when it's grilled/broiled)?

I like my steaks best medium, with just a bit of way too hot for a few seconds to give it a bit of the bark. Never did really do rare.
I used to like it as rare as possible, Pittsburgh was my favorite - seared outside, almost raw on the inside. I'd get the grill to almost 600 degrees, throw the steak on for about 3 minutes, flip it for another 3, and eat it. Times vary depending on thickness, but the inside was pretty much purple.

I still like the outside seared. I go about 500 degrees for about 6 minutes on each side, again depending on thickness. I only add a little fresh ground black pepper. Medium rare is where I'm at now. 20 years ago I would've said it was over cooked.

Edit: always keep the grill cover down, only opening it to flip it once. Then obviously opening it to get the food in and out. I always pre-heat. I used to do wood or occasionally charcoal, but I've gotten lazy in my old age of 41 and converted to propane.

Latest Discussions