Getting Certified As A Women's Instructor?!

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Claire3kr, May 10, 2018.

1. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

That is the thing with martial arts with pretty much any other thing (driving, medicine, fitness, weights) you need qualifications but with martial arts even with boxing etc anyone can really rent a space and start a class. Okay they need insurance, first aid, child protection and all that stuff but for actual martial arts teaching you don't need anything.

An example I always use for that is Bruce lee he was teaching out of his university days after starting there with not even knowing the full wing Chun ciriculamm, no one who really knew him to give character references and and had a criminal record in Hong Kong for violence and yet he taught in a university and eventually ran his own places.

2. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

These days though potential students know so much more and expect qualifications, Bruce Lee wouldn't be able to do that now all these years later. Life moves on, people's expectations and knowledge are so much greater now.

3. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Top Poster Of Month

Wouldn't that be listed under 'relevant experience'?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    The same thing I always say about martial art ranks applies equally to certifications. In order to know what they mean (or if they mean anything) you need to know the following:

Who issued the certification?
    What standards did they apply for issuing the certification?
    What qualifications do they have for judging those standards?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Some do. Most know less than they think they do - they’ve seen some, but don’t have the experience to make the appropriate generalizations and distinctions when looking at something related.

6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

It's because they don't know anything they expect qualifications and certificates though. Turning up as Bruce Lee did with nothing won't wash these days.

7. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Maybe a difference there and here. I can’t recall a prospective student asking for any of that before joining. Some have asked for what the art is and some history of it. Some eventually (after joining) ask how long I’ve trained or some such. I actually get more of the latter from folks curious about my training, with no interest in training, themselves.

8. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    How much do you think they know about you before they start training though, with social media, word of mouth etc I will bet they already know quite a lot about you and your training, quite a scary amount I expect.

9. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Not that much about anything pertinent to the topic. I don't have a huge presence on social media, unless they already know MT. They could find out a moderate amount about my business background if they so desired by visiting LinkedIn and my business sites. They can find out about my vacations and animals and even some of my family members (by visiting the Hobbit's Facebook postings). And if they visit the site, they see what I say my background is, but most prospective students haven't been to the site before I meet them, so that hasn't answered any questions.

10. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Well I did mean the martial arts part hence why they were coming to you! You must be advertising even if you think you aren't otherwise you'd have no students. :)

11. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I’ve advertised the program, to almost no effect (mostly Groupon). Nearly all students come from short intro seminars. That advertisement doesn’t include anything about me but my name, maybe the name of the art, and a short description of the seminar.

12. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

People talk, they chat and that's how people know more about others than you think! Gossip is amazing for a lot of reasons lol.

13. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    The questions they ask make it pretty clear they don’t have that information. If they don’t know the name of the art, they haven’t researched my credentials even at the website. Same goes for them not knowing we are self-defense focused, and other info. They seem to mostly come in blind - knowing only what was on the flyer (and having forgotten most of that).

14. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

You teach idiots then? :D:D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Not sure which part you are referring to, but a teacher or a school handing out certificates, should go well beyond "... it can't take terribly much."

IMHO, one should go beyond simple fisticuffs in teaching self defense, whether men or women, elderly persons, or children. If the OP decides to accept that challenge, she should seek advice from other martial artists in her area, and from the many threads here at MT on self defense and teaching self defense. From all she already may know, or learns from other source, she has to decide what it needed and what she can comfortably teach.

Among other things, class time should cover how not to be a victim; awareness, not freezing up, fleeing as an option, and how to appear very confident. Also how to learn to react quickly and not stand around with your mouth open. Note Dirty Dogs anecdote. He obviously has more experience in diving, and in responding to dangerous and life threatening situations. The accompanying certified person obviously did not. I bet it was never covered in the certification class. It should have been.

16. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

If so he was lucky. I always had the feeling my students had an idiot for a teacher. :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Martial D

Martial D Master of Arts

I was referring to the title of 'womans self defense instructor'

In my experience, mostly what they are selling is a false sense of security based on a big pile of bunko techniques, ideas and strategies. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most of the target market doesn't know the difference, and there is 0 quality control.

18. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Well, that I don't have the experience to really know much about different places. I know there was a women's self defense course taught at the beginning of every school year at a university I worked at, put on by a local club that apparently specialized in teaching women. I went there to see it and ask if I could be of any existence. I was ignored for a while, then an instructor came over and without asking anything about who I was or any qualifications I might have had, made it plain I wasn't welcome. They probably taught well, but I don't really don't know.

19. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

Well, if you learn to be of existence in the future, they may learn to accept you more readily.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Thanks, good catch. Maybe that is why I was ignored. :D

• Agree Agree x 1