George Lovio

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
His site says he teaches Chan Wah Shun style Wing Chun. Can anyone corroborate this?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Link? Never heard of him. Very skeptical that anyone is teaching CWS Wing Chun. But it would be cool if they were!

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to LovioWingChun

The sticky hands looks good to me, as well as some of the mook jong work. I'm only skeptical of the "Chan Wah Shun" claim. I mean almost all of Wing Chun is "Chan Wah Shun", as Yip Man learnt his Wing Chun from him.

I personally don't know why people think "non Yip Man stuff" is better. I'm sure other styles have very nice forms and cool weapons but I'm personally happy with my very simple, yip man, wing chun.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I personally don't know why people think "non Yip Man stuff" is better. I'm sure other styles have very nice forms and cool weapons but I'm personally happy with my very simple, yip man, wing chun.

...but ...but everybody knows about Yip Man WC ...so you gotta find something more secret and special. The really good stuff is always the most hard to find and secret. Like what the old hermit who lives out in the woods knows. Or the drunk hobo who is secretly a MASTER!!!

What's a matta you? Didn't you ever watch a real Chinese kung fu movie? ;)

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to LovioWingChun

The sticky hands looks good to me, as well as some of the mook jong work. I'm only skeptical of the "Chan Wah Shun" claim. I mean almost all of Wing Chun is "Chan Wah Shun", as Yip Man learnt his Wing Chun from him.

-------------------------------------------
Chan Wah son did not teach his own son

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always wondered about, but never looked into, contemporaries of Ip Man. With how many lineages have come from him, you would think we would hear more about other people who were his peers...but I personally never have.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to LovioWingChun

The sticky hands looks good to me, as well as some of the mook jong work. I'm only skeptical of the "Chan Wah Shun" claim. I .

Thanks for the link! Yeah, I'm still skeptical as well. The website says this:

From Chan Wa Shun the system was eventually taught to Hen Shi Tin who taught it to George Lovio, who is an instructor of Wing Chun in southern California.

To me "was eventually taught to X" implies that X was not a direct student of CWS and there is another generation or two missing from the family tree. Which seems kind of fishy. Also the use of the rolling platform for Chi Sau that we are all so familiar with likely does not date back to CWS's day. Leung Jan didn't teach this in Ku Lo village. It likely was a development based on a cooperative effort between the "3 tigers of Foshan".....Ip Man, Yuen Kay Shan, and Yiu Choi...and maybe Ng Chun So. But lots of groups picked up on this quickly...including Weng Chun! So it could have been added to their curriculum as well.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have always wondered about, but never looked into, contemporaries of Ip Man. With how many lineages have come from him, you would think we would hear more about other people who were his peers...but I personally never have.

I have met a few and it is interesting. You can't discount the fact that post-Bruce Lee, association with Yip Man became marketable, so we have heard about and know of a lot of people teaching under that banner. I think a lot of other branches of not only Wing Chun, but hundreds of little village systems that we've never heard of have just disappeared. Others, are still being quietly practiced and passed down, but they're not posting on YouTube or MartialTalk about it. Of the things that survived, I think it's more commonly found in SE Asia than Europe and the Americas.

People like the direct ties to Yip Man because they want "traditional" and "authentic", but traditionally, these systems weren't taught openly, to anyone, for profit.

I'm a Yip Man guy and I'm proud of that, so it's not disrespect, but I think we have to maintain some perspective on the fact that there is other Wing Chun out there and it's lack of mainstream popularity or proliferation isn't an indication of it's validity.

Don't know about the guy the OP was inquiring about. I suggest contacting him directly.

Reactions: KPM

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have met a few and it is interesting. You can't discount the fact that post-Bruce Lee, association with Yip Man became marketable, so we have heard about and know of a lot of people teaching under that banner. I think a lot of other branches of not only Wing Chun, but hundreds of little village systems that we've never heard of have just disappeared. Others, are still being quietly practiced and passed down, but they're not posting on YouTube or MartialTalk about it. Of the things that survived, I think it's more commonly found in SE Asia than Europe and the Americas.

People like the direct ties to Yip Man because they want "traditional" and "authentic", but traditionally, these systems weren't taught openly, to anyone, for profit.

I'm a Yip Man guy and I'm proud of that, so it's not disrespect, but I think we have to maintain some perspective on the fact that there is other Wing Chun out there and it's lack of mainstream popularity or proliferation isn't an indication of it's validity.

Don't know about the guy the OP was inquiring about. I suggest contacting him directly.

You are right, and that is definitely not what I was doing. (I just want to be clear on that.) All I meant is I am interested to see more than just Ip Man, even though I am in that line. (Ip Man > Leung Sheung, and then a couple more steps down the line you have me.)

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Yeah, I'm still skeptical as well. The website says this:

From Chan Wa Shun the system was eventually taught to Hen Shi Tin who taught it to George Lovio, who is an instructor of Wing Chun in southern California.

To me "was eventually taught to X" implies that X was not a direct student of CWS and there is another generation or two missing from the family tree. Which seems kind of fishy. Also the use of the rolling platform for Chi Sau that we are all so familiar with likely does not date back to CWS's day. Leung Jan didn't teach this in Ku Lo village. It likely was a development based on a cooperative effort between the "3 tigers of Foshan".....Ip Man, Yuen Kay Shan, and Yiu Choi...and maybe Ng Chun So. But lots of groups picked up on this quickly...including Weng Chun! So it could have been added to their curriculum as well.
-----------------------------
Partly true partly not. Ip Man is the main factor in developing good chi sao, single , double and lop What Leung Jan taught a few villagers upon retirement in gulao village was some san sik drills. The kulo people since then have just imitations of Ip Man materials.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Partly true partly not. Ip Man is the main factor in developing good chi sao, single , double and lop What Leung Jan taught a few villagers upon retirement in gulao village was some san sik drills. The kulo people since then video wachers and much of wing chun have just look see do imitations of Ip Man materials.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Partly true partly not. Ip Man is the main factor in developing good chi sao, single , double and lop What Leung Jan taught a few villagers upon retirement in gulao village was some san sik drills. The kulo people since then have just imitations of Ip Man materials.

Here we go again! :rolleyes: It doesn't matter how many times I correct you and point out how wrong you are, every time Ku Lo Wing Chun is mentioned you say the same thing.

Wasn't there some kind of rule about not slandering other people's lineages??

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I should say I know Ng Mui Wing Chun the original because if you trace back my liniage to about 8 generations back, I'm sure it'll be Ng Mui. I mean forget about my Sifu, or my Sigung, let me skip over those and just go back 8 generations. Hahahahaha.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Georg Lovio website said:
Created by the Buddhist monks of Siu Lam (Shaolin), its original purpose was to facilitate the assassination of officials of the Ching or Manchu Dynasty

First time I've heard this theory. I have to say that I find the idea of WC being designed for assassination to be ...unlikely.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Where does this guy lovio teach at?

Latest Discussions