"Fundamentals" versus "Basics"

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Basics? Nope, Fundamentals

A short little article discussing the difference between those terms. While I don't agree 100% in that many martial arts do have methods that are more advanced, there are parts that I do agree with in that fundamentals, properly used, can probably get you by the overwhelming majority of the time.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A short little article discussing the difference between those terms. While I don't agree 100% in that many martial arts do have methods that are more advanced, there are parts that I do agree with in that fundamentals, properly used, can probably get you by the overwhelming majority of the time.
Sounds perfectly logical, but I won't be changing my language just yet. We just say advanced application of the basics, and call it good. :D

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whenever I'm standing in front of Paul, I use whatever terminology he wants me too, cuz he is bigger than me! Good thing he has a teddy bear side to counter his grizzly bear.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm with you on this, but I think its a perspective glass half empty glass half full issue. Those who have been doing MA for a few years have reached elevated rank, quite rightly want to think of them self's as advanced and beginners as learning basic. When the truth is they are 90 % of the time using the same basic moves in a more advanced way

I think there is a point two or three belts in where you have learned all you will ever need from a self defence/ sparing point of view. And every think after that is learning to better apply it. Additional matterial after that is arts for arts sake. Which is not a bad thing, it is most certainly more advanced but practically with out purpose

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm with you on this, but I think its a perspective glass half empty glass half full issue. Those who have been doing MA for a few years have reached elevated rank, quite rightly want to think of them self's as advanced and beginners as learning basic. When the truth is they are 90 % of the time using the same basic moves in a more advanced way

I think there is a point two or three belts in where you have learned all you will ever need from a self defence/ sparing point of view. And every think after that is learning to better apply it. Additional matterial after that is arts for arts sake. Which is not a bad thing, it is most certainly more advanced but practically with out purpose

Agreed, but only to a point, though I suspect that this is largely based upon what Martial Art one does.

In GJJ for example, if you are at a solid place, Blue Belt material will take you a long way, even in high level competition let alone self-defense. Heck, Roger Gracie, who is one of the best competitors ever, uses primarily Blue Belt stuff, he just does it really freaking well.

In the other art I study, Pekiti Tirsia, there are legitimate advanced methods, due to considerations of timing and weapon manipulation based upon the tactic that is being employed. The first few methods of doce methodos, which is the foundation of the system are about being behind in timing, the next are about being equal in timing, and then about using the manipulation of the weapon to get you ahead of timing (Florete, etc.). Then the advanced systems deal with some other things that are beyond the scope of this discussion.

I will certainly agree with you in that the material contained in the first couple of ranks in most systems ought to contain enough to allow you to protect yourself against the average person.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've got this set of stuff reserved for black belts to work on and look at if they "want to do so," which we sort of call the "Advanced" stuff.

Thing is, it's the same stuff learned in the colored belt ranks, when they're oming up... just coming at it from a different perspective. It is not advanced at all. Folks are always saying... "This is just like the other one, right?" and the answer is, "Sure is."

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It's a good point.

How would you relate that to bunkai. Specifically oyo vs surface level understanding?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a good point.

How would you relate that to bunkai. Specifically oyo vs surface level understanding?
I think bunkai is bunkham, in that kata moves are either clearly identifiable or they could be absolutely any thing, anyone can I say I think its this or that and no one can say yes it is or no it isnt