Fundamental pillars of self-defense?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Self-defense should have in addition to the methodology to develop situational awareness, the ability to harness that awareness and to make it common sense and natural to avoid those places and situations that if not avoided might result in a self-defense situation. That self-defense begins with study of the self. Learning to understand how fear affects our bodies systems, learning to understand and recognize when we are succumbing to the fight, flight, or freeze response and how to escape that response so as to be able to do whatever whichever action might be needed to survive the immediate encounter. Is that close?

Close enough! Some anecdotes:

After I left Japan, I went to Europe (eventually) and was accosted in Greece-it turned out to be a sad misunderstanding-they thought I was someone else, and attacked me, with what they thought of as justification, having mistaken me for the scumbag who disrespected them……I defended myself successfully, but I hadn’t practiced good situational awareness at all: I was being a tourist, and was, just as many people are, attacked from nowhere, with no prelude, interview or “monkey dance…”

Then I got mugged in Spain. This time, they tried to snatch my duffel and camera….I resisted, successfully, but I just about never saw them coming-and, these days, I’d have let them have it: there was nothing in that duffel worth dying for, nor was the camera…..

Months later-months that were occupied with college, and being a bouncer, and hanging around with a motorcycle club, and engaging in other youthful foolishness, I had my little incident on the subway……I actually was pretty aware, considering the lateness of the hour, and how I’d spent the hours preceding it, but I really shouldn’t have been on that particular platform, at that particular hour, dressed as I was and wearing a Rolex, of all things-I may as well have had “vic” tattooed on my forehead…….even if I wasn’t one……(it’s worth pointing out here, that I can tell all of this story to a roomful of people, and say that I shouldn’t have been waiting to board the Brooklyn IRT at that hour, dressed as I was, and they’ll all nod their heads, but tell a woman that if she goes out in a short skirt, high-heels and a “tear here for boobs” top-that she’s inviting trouble, and it’s just not politically correct….oh well.)

So, situational awareness is something I’ve obviously had to work on: mom called me an ‘absent minded professor” for most of my childhood, and there’s some truth to it. While it can be considered the first foundational pillar of self defense: knowing where you are, who the people involved are, fitting in and being unobtrusive-not standing out as a target., avoiding places where trouble could happen…these should mostly be common sense.

common-sense-superpower.jpg

Of course, I say that now, as a 55 year old man-not as a teen or twenty-something who always wanted to be in the middle of “the action.” That all ended when I got married and had children of my own-priorities and the way you view the world will change….I say this because on another thread, people laughed off the exploits of Renzo Gracie-a man who is old enough (44?) and trained enough to behave better than he has….these are just some things to think on…I’ll talk about how I trained my situational awareness and observational skills, and how I train others, but maybe in a separate post…

. Is there a methodology/drill that you have found that helps an average Jane to develop the mindset that violence is a tool that can be used?

What I want to talk about first, though, are the effects of adrenalin on the human body and perception, and methods for training for, controlling and channeling adrenalization and fear.

What happens when we’re startled, frightened or under stress? A part of the brain-the hypothalamus-initiates the secretion of stress hormones: cortisol, noradrenaline, and adrenaline. This is hard wired into us, and prepares us to face perceived danger: to either fight it, or flee from it-fight or flight.It’s hard-wired into us. The rest of our brain, the thinking part, can sometimes make the hypothalamus think we need to do these things, when we don’t: got a big, important exam coming up? Your body could release those stress hormones, thinking you have to face down a sabre-toothed tiger or something….this can work to our advantage, as I’ll explain. Briefly though, if “the thinking part” can make the hypothalamus release these hormones, then we can think our way into releasing these hormones. What do they do?

Well, when these hormones are released, our respiratory and heart rates increase. Blood is shunted away from our digestive tract and directed into our muscles and limbs-extra energy to fight or run. Our pupils dilate, and our sight sharpens (though this effect also can lead to tunnel vision) Our impulses-our reflexes-can quicken. Our perception of pain diminishes.

Those can be the plusses, if we need them to run or fight, but they can also be liabilities-especially if we’re not used to them, or don’t know how to deal with them.

The first way that I train dealing with being adrenalized is to deliberately simulate it as much as I can-once people have some semblance of technical ability with a self-defense movement or response, I’ll have them execute it right at the aerobic threshold, repeatedly, and over their anaerobic threshold eventually. While I’m a big fan of aerobic training and fitness, and , basically, training like a boxer, self-defense is actually an aneaerobic activity-it’s a short burst, not a long-haul. By actually performing with a high heart rate and high-and generally insufficient-respiratory rate, we are simulating effects of adrenalization while executing movement.

Additionally, movements-already gross rather than fine responses-become even grosser, and focusing on efficacy-on making the movement work-becomes part of the focus: I’m not looking for the perfect execution of a throw or strike in terms of form-I’m looking for the opponent to wind up on the floor: self defense generally requires gross rather than fine motor control, in part because fine motor control goes out the window with adrenaline, and because simpler is….well, simpler. So, at this stage and with this type of training, we’re simulating working with the negative effects of adrenalization simply by operating with increased respiration and heart rate……

….and what you’ll often hear me saying to the panting, gasping tori, after the tenth or eleventh repetition is ”Control your breathing!-which I’ve heard lots of instructors say over the years, and is sometimes received as a meaningless instruction (If I could control my breathing, do you think I’d be gasping like this??!!, they must be thinking….) Suffice to say, breath control is another element of dealing with adrenalization, as well as staying relaxed enough to do movements under stress-with me, it’s not an order, but a reminder, as my students and I spend a fair amount of time on breath control exercises-some of which are familiar to Asian martial arts practitioners, and some of which might be familiar to Systema practitioners like you, Brian-since I got them from one of my teachers, Mr. Joseph Greenstein, a famous vaudeville strongman known as the Mighty Atom, who trained under a Russian strongman…at least, I’ve often wondered if they’d be similar…..

In any case, I think some sort of breath control is essential to dealing with and channeling adrenalization. There are lots of theories, exercises and disciplines around this, including meditation, and it’s been my observation that if followed diligently, they’re all kind of get you there, so I’m not going to get too detailed about how I do it: breath control, though, I think is key.

There are other factors to that I use in developing mindset that I'll post about separately, but breath control and stress training are the physical starting point.

What is the primary way that you have observed success in retraining the flinch reflex?

My granddad, who trained hunting dogs, had to train them to accept gunshots without starting, and for a fired shot to mean it was time to get to work. The flinch response in humans serves a protective purpose-to protect the eyes and ward off a threat. It’s a reflex-meaning we rreally can’t control it, and probably shouldn’t try to, but we can “reprogram,” or re-purpose it.. There are some differing opinions as to which direction this should take: Rory Miller and Tony Blauer basically both favor retraining it towards aggression, sometimes with a forward movement: I look to kata, and what’s natural, and ask, what’s wrong with moving back and making a warding motion, especially if it’s the body’s natural response already?

Otherwise, we don’t differ much: the way to retrain a reflex is, essentially, Pavlovian, with a negative feedback for undesired responses, and positive feedback for desired responses, until desired responses are all that’s occurred. That’s really all I’m going to say about that, except to remind people of the many times I’ve said that I couldn’t train children the way I was trained as a child without some parent wanting to sue me or put me in jail……and how I don’t train children, yet, and won’t really use the methods that I use for retraining the flinch reflex with children when I start to……..

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@elder999, Re the question that @Brian King asked about a way to help an average Jane to develop the mindset that violence is a tool that can be used.. I would want to suggest that there is a neurological difference between how the male and female body deploy adrenaline and I have found to put it to its briefest that women are more inclined to PROTECT where men might be more amenable to retaliation with violence and why that might be of use here is I wonder perhaps to encourage that female SD student to view her use of physical force not for harm -even though that is the effect - and but for SELF-PROTECTION..

I know this might sound in your ears like a no brainer and but in my experience there is some times a disconnect between the use of physical means and the association of this means with her own preservation.. I do not know about other women on the board.. every one is different and but for me it is some thing I still wrestle with though it is mitigated by using the art I use as it was conceived which has through the years left me thoroughly grounded in the notion that when I have to use it.. it is not about damaging him (usually is a him sorry) instead it is about protecting ME.. For me THIS is the shift in mindset needed.. If it seem like common sense like wth would she NOT think like that? well I am only offering just anecdote from talking with friends and from assisting women survivors in a professional capacity.. I do not train others SD so I cannot comment if that would even make any difference.. Jx

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@elder999, Re the question that @Brian King asked about a way to help an average Jane to develop the mindset that violence is a tool that can be used.. I would want to suggest that there is a neurological difference between how the male and female body deploy adrenaline and I have found to put it to its briefest that women are more inclined to PROTECT where men might be more amenable to retaliation with violence and why that might be of use here is I wonder perhaps to encourage that female SD student to view her use of physical force not for harm -even though that is the effect - and but for SELF-PROTECTION..

I know this might sound in your ears like a no brainer and but in my experience there is some times a disconnect between the use of physical means and the association of this means with her own preservation.. I do not know about other women on the board.. every one is different and but for me it is some thing I still wrestle with though it is mitigated by using the art I use as it was conceived which has through the years left me thoroughly grounded in the notion that when I have to use it.. it is not about damaging him (usually is a him sorry) instead it is about protecting ME.. For me THIS is the shift in mindset needed.. If it seem like common sense like wth would she NOT think like that? well I am only offering just anecdote from talking with friends and from assisting women survivors in a professional capacity.. I do not train others SD so I cannot comment if that would even make any difference.. Jx

Not a big as a divide as you think. Lets expand that and say people can be convinced to fight provided they feel they have the moral high ground.

Then you would look at soldiers and how the military convinces people it is ok to kill people. Suddenly people don't use violence because they think they are baddies but use it because they are goodies.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I think that this is the fundamental difference between 'self defence' (avoiding trouble) and what many perceive as 'self defence' (fighting). 'Self protection' encompasses everything contained in 'self defence'.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that this is the fundamental difference between 'self defence' (avoiding trouble) and what many perceive as 'self defence' (fighting). 'Self protection' encompasses everything contained in 'self defence'.

I would disagree with defining self defense as "avoiding trouble". While avoiding trouble is certainly an important part of self defense, fighting is another.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would disagree with defining self defense as "avoiding trouble". While avoiding trouble is certainly an important part of self defense, fighting is another.

The issue that we have is most people avoid trouble pretty effectively. And that someone who has either never been in a fight or in mabye one or two. Is not looking for further training in something they could be considered pretty good at.

We are generally not these kill monsters who cant walk down the street without violencing someone.

Most people want the ability to kick wholesale butt should they encounter unlikely event they meet a violent person and cannot avoid a fight.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would agree that fighting is a part of self defence, a small but important part, but I cannot see self defence in fighting. Fighting has the potential to be used in self defence. Fighting by itself does not equal self defence.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't need martial arts to learn how to "avoid trouble". Frankly if that's your goal, you're wasting your time and money.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't need martial arts to learn how to "avoid trouble". Frankly if that's your goal, you're wasting your time and money.
I must have missed something. Who said, "You need martial arts to learn how to "avoid trouble"?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I must have missed something. Who said, "You need martial arts to learn how to "avoid trouble"?

You said that self defense is "avoiding trouble". Many people are taking MA to learn self defense, which is again in your opinion "avoiding trouble".

You're over emphasizing my use of "need" in my quote. I'm pointing out that if you believe that self defense is about avoiding trouble, martial arts isn't necessary to achieve that goal.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
@elder999, Re the question that @Brian King asked about a way to help an average Jane to develop the mindset that violence is a tool that can be used.

Gettin' there.

I would want to suggest that there is a neurological difference between how the male and female body deploy adrenaline and I have found to put it to its briefest that women are more inclined to PROTECT where men might be more amenable to retaliation with violence and why that might be of use here is I wonder perhaps to encourage that female SD student to view her use of physical force not for harm -even though that is the effect - and but for SELF-PROTECTION..

Not so-much, I think...the motivations and precursors are different, perhaps....

Most human beings actually are naturally disinclined to use violence against their fellow-human beings, ample evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.As drop bear mentioned, the armed services use a pretty crude method of overcoming this natural disinclination: they typically dehumanize "the enemy," so it becomes "ok" to kill them. Human beings are fairly capable of making the same decision about the "other," relegating them to non-human status, especially where self-protection/preservation/defense and the defense of others makes violence necessary......I've posted about my "relationship" with bears elsewhere, and one of the mottos of my dojo is "Like a bear protecting her cubs." The bear is an omnivore that is generally bashful, and generally doesn't resort to violence towards threats-if you see a bear in the woods, it will usually run away. Get near a mother and her cub, though......

Most people have at least a little she-bear in them. Mindset is about accessing that at will,

I hadn't thought to formulate a female-specific response for this, but I do train women differently, because of some things related to what you've posted-all too often, women are emotionally hindered from responding or facing a threat. Let me think on it some, so I can articulate a response. Here's an anecdote, though-a sad one, about someone I'd known since I was 11 years old.

Beth Lochtefeld was a wonderful person, who was murdered by her ex-boyfriend. She was also an aikidoka-and had actually traveled to Guam to train with Minigishi Mutsuko sensei, who I think is the highest ranked aikidoka in the Aikikai, and who knew her-as lots of people did-as "the crying girl."

They called her that because she'd get extremely emotional and start crying over even the relatively benign person to person confrontation of uke v. tori.

Her ex wound up surprising her at home, and stabbing her 23 times. I'm still friends with her brothers, Peter and John, and happen to know that she actually put up one hell of fight......not enough, though-sad.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
You said that self defense is "avoiding trouble". Many people are taking MA to learn self defense, which is again in your opinion "avoiding trouble".

You're over emphasizing my use of "need" in my quote. I'm pointing out that if you believe that self defense is about avoiding trouble, martial arts isn't necessary to achieve that goal.

If you believe self-defense is being trained to use violence against an attacker, martial arts isn't necessary to achieve that goal.....just sayin'

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you believe self-defense is being trained to use violence against an attacker, martial arts isn't necessary to achieve that goal.....just sayin'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't kicking someone's knee out, punching them in the face, or stomping their head "violence used against an attacker", and part of self defense training in many MAs?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. But you can train to do those things without training in any martial art.

Some can. Here we may go the other end of the spectrum and look at why a baddie might benefit from martial arts. Either as an outlet to redirect violence more constructively or a way in which to temper violent outbursts.

In which case learning to not be a douchebag may take a more primary role.

BMhadoken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have found to put it to its briefest that women are more inclined to PROTECT where men might be more amenable to retaliation with violence
I must nitpick on this point, and argue that both men and women are equally disposed toward vengeful or vindictive behavior. As evidence I submit every single one of my ex-girlfriends. Seriously though, It's actually been my own experience that my generation of women will become physically violent with a man more quickly than a man will with other men, often seemingly based on the assumption that as a woman they're immune to retaliation. Beyond that, it's been said and I would agree that women in general are put under more pressure not to act out, fight or make a scene, and it can get them in trouble when danger comes at them with more force than they're willing to match.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a big as a divide as you think. Lets expand that and say people can be convinced to fight provided they feel they have the moral high ground.

Then you would look at soldiers and how the military convinces people it is ok to kill people. Suddenly people don't use violence because they think they are baddies but use it because they are goodies.
The magic word is "othering" -- though there is more to the process than that in military training. See Grossman, MacYoung, and lots of other folks for different angles on this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gettin' there.

Not so-much, I think...the motivations and precursors are different, perhaps....

Most human beings actually are naturally disinclined to use violence against their fellow-human beings, ample evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.As drop bear mentioned, the armed services use a pretty crude method of overcoming this natural disinclination: they typically dehumanize "the enemy," so it becomes "ok" to kill them. Human beings are fairly capable of making the same decision about the "other," relegating them to non-human status, especially where self-protection/preservation/defense and the defense of others makes violence necessary......I've posted about my "relationship" with bears elsewhere, and one of the mottos of my dojo is "Like a bear protecting her cubs." The bear is an omnivore that is generally bashful, and generally doesn't resort to violence towards threats-if you see a bear in the woods, it will usually run away. Get near a mother and her cub, though......

Most people have at least a little she-bear in them. Mindset is about accessing that at will,

I hadn't thought to formulate a female-specific response for this, but I do train women differently, because of some things related to what you've posted-all too often, women are emotionally hindered from responding or facing a threat. Let me think on it some, so I can articulate a response. Here's an anecdote, though-a sad one, about someone I'd known since I was 11 years old.

Beth Lochtefeld was a wonderful person, who was murdered by her ex-boyfriend. She was also an aikidoka-and had actually traveled to Guam to train with Minigishi Mutsuko sensei, who I think is the highest ranked aikidoka in the Aikikai, and who knew her-as lots of people did-as "the crying girl."

They called her that because she'd get extremely emotional and start crying over even the relatively benign person to person confrontation of uke v. tori.

Her ex wound up surprising her at home, and stabbing her 23 times. I'm still friends with her brothers, Peter and John, and happen to know that she actually put up one hell of fight......not enough, though-sad.
Thank you for how you put your point and for your explanations and for that story, I am grateful you gave space to that thank you :) And yes you are parallel with what I mean.. you are far better at articulating it than me..

What I want to say if my vocab would permit is that maybe using your example.. mother/cub.. only add also father/cub for comparison.. what I have seen is that both have an imperative to protect the cub though physiologically there is a differing reaction.. Still it is in cases where the woman is only protecting her self and not her young.. this disconnect as I see it is even more prevalent..

Like you have heard of "tend and befriend" yes? it is roughly in line with my point..

Tend and Befriend Psychology Today

"So while both sexes share the capacity for fight or flight, females seem to use it less."

Please I am not up for arguing with you only women survivors I have worked with there is frequently a startling lack of drive to protect their selves *physically*. Some times this is a self-esteem issue ok and so I acknowledge that this is a specific demographic and but I feel it is related to the physiological and neurological response to stress hormones as suggested in the research above and others like it.

Those women that are apt to fight, great, though physical confidence in women, when thinking of confrontation is rare in my experience. And those that do not even imagine their selves physically confident are more susceptible to being overcome in an attack due to this disconnect between what has to happen to defend and protect their selves and actually DOING that thing.. sooo I would try to encourage a mindset that espouses these two..

1. it is right and just to protect your self -this is not even the given you may imagine?
2. in an attack it is ACCEPTABLE to cause potentially serious physical harm to the attacker if it is in line with having to justifiably PROTECT your self..

Again I cannot argue that these would appear to be no brainers I am just relating my experience of this odd -when looking rationally- disconnect between the desire to protect oneself and the neurological response in women that does not seem to mandate the use of destructive force which is some times necessary to stave off attack in the same way as for men..

I hope this can make some sense Jx

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I must nitpick on this point, and argue that both men and women are equally disposed toward vengeful or vindictive behavior. As evidence I submit every single one of my ex-girlfriends. Seriously though, It's actually been my own experience that my generation of women will become physically violent with a man more quickly than a man will with other men, often seemingly based on the assumption that as a woman they're immune to retaliation. Beyond that, it's been said and I would agree that women in general are put under more pressure not to act out, fight or make a scene, and it can get them in trouble when danger comes at them with more force than they're willing to match.
it is ok to nitpick.. you are correct about vengefulness I would not disagree.. I think I mean some thing else other than retaliation with violence.. I cannot quite catch the word in English I mean.. sorry :) I know what you are saying though and you have it right thank you Jxx