Fun thread - if I were to do my kata in your style, how would it look?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been trying to develop the ability to stop it like that.

I can get the height, but coming down it's either forceful or free fall until just above my waist height - I can stop it there - until that point I can barely even slow it down much.

It's a very specific bit of musculature to do it, and I don't appear to have much of that bit o_O
I am sure I can't stop it as high as I used to but sparring with competitive younger people and kids helps practice this.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been trying to develop the ability to stop it like that.

I can get the height, but coming down it's either forceful or free fall until just above my waist height - I can stop it there - until that point I can barely even slow it down much.

It's a very specific bit of musculature to do it, and I don't appear to have much of that bit o_O
Yeah far out... talk about quad/hip flexor cramping, yyooooouuuchh.....

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's pretty much the 'official' application, but it's much harder to pull off reliably.

That said, a really good move is (after at least a half hour of sparring), axe kick to the face but slow it down a bit and just wipe your (sweaty) foot down over their nose and chin :D

Our demonstration team had to come up with funny self-defense skits (for purely entertaining purposes). This 10 year old girl came up with one where she would take off her shoe, do a slow head-level side kick, and let the smell of her foot make the other girl she was fighting pass out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our demonstration team had to come up with funny self-defense skits (for purely entertaining purposes). This 10 year old girl came up with one where she would take off her shoe, do a slow head-level side kick, and let the smell of her foot make the other girl she was fighting pass out.
Somehow, that sounds like it should show up in one of Master Ken's videos.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Somehow, that sounds like it should show up in one of Master Ken's videos.

I believe one of the more psychotic students (either the girl who has mastered the groin grab, or Billy) used their breath in one episode.

Latest Discussions