Front Stance

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of us use a front stance in our forms my question is do you use this stance when you fight (or spar) and if so what percentage of the time.
If not why not

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have

no stances and no kata in Russian martial Art (Systema)... none-the-less, I use the front "stance" all the time!

It is merely a snapshot of movement, quite useful for lowing oneself, creating leg barriers and exerting forward knee/shin pressure.

Arthur

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't use a front stance, I use what I learned as the "Kenpo fighting" stance. Knees flexed, front foot turned slightly inwards, and the rear heel loaded. Serves for mobility purposes and angling footwork.

2fisted

Sometimes mid-combo, but rarely for more than a few seconds.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
front stance: front leg bent rear leg locked , feet shoulder with apart and 1 1/2 to 2 shoulders long.
modified front stance can be the kenpo bow stance or a everyday walking stance

M

MisterMike

Wouldn't a front stance kind of be putting your nose out there to get smacked?

The stance has its uses, but I wouldn't stay in it for too long unless you've really adapted your style to it.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I walk in one every day and I move out of one into whatever stance easily. No I dont think it is putting you rnose out, but I also belive in blocking:D

M

MisterMike

OK - just don't block with your face. That can be an owie.

:D :D :D

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yep it sure can
so can the eye brow block still have not prefected that one

C

cas

We use a modified front stance in sparring. The backleg isn't streched but bent. Weight distributed evenly over both legs. Shoulders and hips almost squared so both arms and legs can be used for moving, defending and attacking.

Actually isn't much different from the basic forwardstance in the forms, the streched backleg is just part of the end of the movement.

D

Druss

Front stance looks good in kata only , probably the only real use would be when u trying to set an oponant up while sparring.....

The eyebrow block requires years of experience as not recomended for novoices . The trick is to move the the head in line with in coming kick/punch once its through ur block.

Osu

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Front stance looks good in kata only , probably the only real use would be when u trying to set an oponant up while sparring.....

The front stance is the basis of leverage in a vast amount of t throws and takedowns common to many arts. Its value is not in the precontact phase of a fight. that is obvious. Its value is in the midst of close contact.

examples:

Karate (Shotokan) Byodaoshi
Silat Kinjit
Silat Beset
Judo O Soto Otoshi
Kamishin Ryu Aiki Ude Otoshi
Aikido Aiki Ura Ude Otoshi
Boxing Outside Parry Simultaneous body punch
Capoeira Recovery from Role

The front stance is instrumental to a wide variety of throws. The rear foot creates a barrier or sweep, the front thigh provides a fulcrum.

Arthur

Latest Discussions