Front Kicks.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you seen this video?

Ouch! Great clip though. It really brings out the fact that you can indeed strike with some of these unusual hand positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ouch.....i don't have anythign agaisnt karate or kung fu but why would you kick with the knuckles of your toes curled down?? wouldn't that mean easier broken toes?? i understand to the groin but anywhere else seems too risky....

no it might be done with the pint of the big toe and other toes aghenst the big to to stiffen the big toe. and once agian it is agenst only the targets and the toe is pointed or the ball of the foot is used. ... do not understand the toes curled down myself.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have a kick, tatesokutogeri, that is a bit like a cross between maegeri and sokutogeri, i.e. you kick to your front but with the side of your foot. The direction is usually a bit downwards. Good kick to push your opponent away from you

Ive seen that taught in sanshou (kungfu competition sparring), done either to the leg or as a pushkick/stop kick to the body, but Ive never seen it in karate.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ive seen that taught in sanshou (kungfu competition sparring), done either to the leg or as a pushkick/stop kick to the body, but Ive never seen it in karate.

I think it came into my (now already former) karatestyle from Tauramuso ryu jujutsu, a style that both my (former) sensei and his sensei have been practising. Ikubo sensei, my former sensei's sensei, is actually the style's current headmaster

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
if I have understood you correctly you are talking about what we reffer to as a "front thrust kick." useing a "stomping like piston action" with the foot to the front.

its normaly targeted at knees and pelvic gurdle and would and does work agenst the hip as a stop kick... but given a choice of takeing a knee out or useing it as a stop kick on the street, you can guess what target I am going for.

Latest Discussions