Front Kick - Side Kick Relationship

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing more about how to kick correctly.

Maybe just talk about the roundhouse kick as suggested earlier.

:asian:

R

Rob_Broad

This topic is very interesting to me since I have really beat up my body over the years as a competitive gymnast. I would love to be able to still walk properly when i am 70(if my wife lets me live that long)

I can see one of the problems associate with kicking is the pull on the joints.

S

Sandor

Originally posted by kenpo3631

Ah yes, Mastah Sandah.... I am getting old and my memory fades from time to time...:rofl:

It was my belief that Buckling Branch and Checking the Storm use the same kicking sequences, the first (rear leg- front leg) and the latter (front leg-rear leg)...then again I covered that with Mr. Wedlake back in 1994. I have to review my notes...:D :asian:

hehe, I was there for that class... I was thinking about it when I read your original post.

The relationship he was working with us that day was something along the lines of;

Front kick (from front leg) landing in the crossover then side kick (rear leg)
Front Kick (from rear leg) landing in the crossover then side kick(front leg)
Side kick (from front leg) landing in crossover then front kick(rear leg)
Side kick(from rear leg) landing in crossover then front kick(rear leg)

That is the whole matrix for that category completion as far as I know. There were three elements in the sequence; front kick, side kick and crossover. I hope that helps.

Peace,
Sandor

S

Sandor

Originally posted by Klondike93

Are you talking about as the kick goes out, it's pulling the joint out when it reaches it's target?

What I think they are refering to is the inevitable hyperextension of the joint that occurs when kicks are done repeatedly in the air versus actually hitting something. The mechanics of the two are different and will cause small tears in the soft tissues around the joints involved in the movement(tendons, ligaments and muscle heads). Punching in the air will eventually do the same type of damage but will take longer due to the fact that a persons arms are usually 1/3 as powerfull as their legs.

Peace,
Sandor

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That was the impression I was getting from him too. Having been in TKD for a long time you do a lot of kicking in the air, so you have to learn not to lock the kick out. I have modified my round and side kicks to utilize my hips instead of the knee to extend the kick out. This has helped save my knees that last few years, and that you don't kick as much in kenpo.

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Klondike93

Are you talking about as the kick goes out, it's pulling the joint out when it reaches it's target?

I was actually talking about kicks like the spinning hook or anything with a lot of torque. I never lock the knee when kicking but the whipping action of some kicks can cause tearing of the cartlige.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry gentlemen but damage from kicks is not inevitable. Kicking in the air actually has nothing to do with it. It simply has to be done correctly and in harmony with body architecture. I have never had a student with an injury that was not impact induced. Not even a pulled muscle. Newbies, especially black belts from other disciplines develop cramps in the beginning.

S

Sandor

Originally posted by Doc

Sorry gentlemen but damage from kicks is not inevitable. Kicking in the air actually has nothing to do with it. It simply has to be done correctly and in harmony with body architecture..

Ok, Doc. I think I have a grasp on what you are getting at. Most of the kicks I've done in my limited chinese based studies have been variations on front kicks and rear kicks. Niether of which really push any of the joints involved in a excess of its intended mobility. Which, from what I am understanding by your posts, is more in line with the architecture of the body and the kinetics of the range of motion and types of motion involved in the particular kicks presented there.

Is that what you are getting at? Could you please elaborate a little more?:asian:

Peace,
Sandor

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sandor

Ok, Doc. I think I have a grasp on what you are getting at. Most of the kicks I've done in my limited chinese based studies have been variations on front kicks and rear kicks. Niether of which really push any of the joints involved in a excess of its intended mobility. Which, from what I am understanding by your posts, is more in line with the architecture of the body and the kinetics of the range of motion and types of motion involved in the particular kicks presented there.

Is that what you are getting at? Could you please elaborate a little more?:asian:

Peace,
Sandor

You already did! But thrusting heels, side kicks, round kicks, and even knife edge kicks, spinning kicks, etc. can all be done safely, but you must be taught properly. The position of the foot at the time of the kick has a profound affect on the body as well. As an example most don't know that a "knife edge" kick to the side should never rise above your own hip flexor. The kick is designed to go down, not up as dictated by the foot position.

Latest Discussions