From the past-Black Flag wing chun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what else to say here. Your opinion, "Backyards, garages, and basements have a long history of producing terrible martial artists. Typically, those are the hobbyists", is an extreme generalization.
It's also the truth. Generalization is dead on.
So you're not a student then... I find that amusing. Pure gold.
Not anymore. There is little to no Wing Chun in the modern fight community. There is nothing special in Wing Chun that can't be learned elsewhere in better conditions, especially to include sparring partners.

But demanding someone train with someone else to learn "the real Wing Chun" is such an old weak argument. It's the same one all the fakes and con men use.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally, I feel that one should always be in a student mindset. It helps to grow. Even if one is a teacher, having a student mentality can be a life-altering attribute. Just my 2 cents though.

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I feel that one should always be in a student mindset. It helps to grow. Even if one is a teacher, having a student mentality can be a life-altering attribute. Just my 2 cents though.
This is why I wish there were more good YouTube videos.

Theoretically, there should be a lot of Wing Chun people in the standup fight clubs. These are people whom claim to be learning ancient deadly hand to hand arts.

But that's movie fantasy, for now. That's probably part of the problem with places like Black Flag. Selling that kung fu dream.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But demanding someone train with someone else to learn "the real Wing Chun" is such an old weak argument. It's the same one all the fakes and con men use.
No one is demanding anything, and nothing was said about "the real Wing Chun". You do you. Don't like the system, don't train it.

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see.
So do you study or train a particular martial art?
Primarily nowadays a semi retired grappler, but I've dabbled a lot in striking. Definitely spent a lot of time interested in Wing Chun and seeking out the "good stuff".

Found it seriously lacking, but I don't blame the art itself.

I think the art suffers a lack of serious players. There isn't even any established competition cirquit where Wing Chun is prevalent.

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No one is demanding anything, and nothing was said about "the real Wing Chun". You do you. Don't like the system, don't train it.
You don't speak for everyone, and it was just demanded to me in this thread that my opinion isn't valid until I train with specific people.

I'm a well informed consumer. So don't judge my opinion unless you're willing to have yours judged by me.

It's fine you feel the need to defend Wing Chun. It's really common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions