From Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to Japanese Jiu Jitsu

OP
D

Deleted member 40465

No joke, someone said that actually worked in a fight before. It becomes habit to release to taps if you do Grappling so it transitions to actual fighting to some people, or they release being good sports then you turn around and clob their head in or something. Its also addressed in a book i have on self defence things. (granted its not told as the be all end all like in the clip, but its worth sharing)

Just thought i would share it as its pretty funny.

Edit: its also made funnier that the author has done Jujitsu and that has been their main style, so im now triple dying on the floor laughing.

That makes sense.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I refer to my original answer in my opinon of Hapkido styles, but you would have to wonder, your close ties to Choi's linage and for someone who has trained in the art for a length of time, who cannot remember the most fundamental basics of the art.

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I refer to my original answer in my opinon of Hapkido styles, but you would have to wonder, your close ties to Choi's linage and for someone who has trained in the art for a length of time, who cannot remember the most fundamental basics of the art.

Okay, just to make sure I don’t misunderstand you here:

Are you refering to what I wrote a above about not remembering what the first technique I ever learnt in Hapkido (at a seminar in the ninethies, no less)? If so, there is quite a leap from that and to concluding that I «don’t remember the most fundamental basics of the art», unless there is some ill-will at play here.

If I understand you correctly, you comes across as both combative and disrespectfull. I’ll be happy to produce documentation of both my rank and linage if you ask me nicely, but continue with insinuating like you do above, and you will be promptly ignored from here on.

OP
D

Deleted member 40465

No joke, someone said that actually worked in a fight before. It becomes habit to release to taps if you do Grappling so it transitions to actual fighting to some people, or they release being good sports then you turn around and clob their head in or something. Its also addressed in a book i have on self defence things. (granted its not told as the be all end all like in the clip, but its worth sharing)

Just thought i would share it as its pretty funny.

Edit: its also made funnier that the author has done Jujitsu and that has been their main style, so im now triple dying on the floor laughing.

Bjj guys always respect the tap in a real fight then let them up. They teach us that in the class. Really important for self defense. The purpose of the choke and armbar is actually psychological, not to choke or armbar someone.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My teacher's teacher's teacher did train with Ji Han Jae (edit: or least, did according to my teacher's teacher), and I have an IHF 1st dan. The first thing I learned in Hapkido was breakfalls (nakbup). The idea that there's only one real whatever is a bunch of nonsense. Yes, there are lots of people that pretend to teach this or that in order to puff up their credentials, but that's a different matter.

OP, what are your goals? Is it just to do an activity, or are you looking to defend yourself, or get in shape?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bjj guys always respect the tap in a real fight then let them up. They teach us that in the class. Really important for self defense. The purpose of the choke and armbar is actually psychological, not to choke or armbar someone.
I’m not sure whether this is a joke or the misunderstanding of a beginner.

In practice, always respect the tap.
In competition, always respect the tap.
When fighting in self defense, ignore the tap. If someone is willing to assault you in the first place, you can’t assume they won’t do it again the moment you let them go. If the situation is dire enough to justify the use of a choke or armbar in the first place, then put them to sleep or break the arm. Take away their ability to keep attacking you.
If the situation is not dangerous enough to justify putting them to sleep or breaking a limb, then don’t apply the choke or joint lock in the first place.

OP
D

Deleted member 40465

My teacher's teacher's teacher did train with Ji Han Jae (edit: or least, did according to my teacher's teacher), and I have an IHF 1st dan. The first thing I learned in Hapkido was breakfalls (nakbup). The idea that there's only one real whatever is a bunch of nonsense. Yes, there are lots of people that pretend to teach this or that in order to puff up their credentials, but that's a different matter.

OP, what are your goals? Is it just to do an activity, or are you looking to defend yourself, or get in shape?

Hello.

At this point I am just looking to stay in shape, and have a hobby that is fun which is why I think Hapkido would be a good option.

I already got a hernia lifting weights, and did full contact Karate, and sport BJJ, both of which take their toll on the body. I'm over it.

Also, I never really focused on standing grappling/restraining techniques which would be good anyways since I work in security.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok now I'm certain your school/instructor were junk. That's about the worst advice I've ever heard.

OP
D

Deleted member 40465

Ok now I'm certain your school/instructor were junk. That's about the worst advice I've ever heard.

Hello Martial D.

I will spell this out.

This was obviously a joke at someone who was making veiled pot shots at me (similar to someone else I know).

Also, I don't care what you think about my previous school, or my instructor. Nobody asked for your opinion.

If you want to actually address the subject of the thread then please do so.

If you are only interested in putting others down because that's the only way you can feel good about yourself, you will not get that satisfaction out of me, cause I don't care.

Crap on my thread one more time and I'm putting you on ignore.

Thanks.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Martial D.

I will spell this out.

This was obviously a joke at someone who was making veiled pot shots at me (similar to someone else I know).

Also, I don't care what you think about my previous school, or my instructor. Nobody asked for your opinion.

If you want to actually address the subject of the thread then please do so.

If you are only interested in putting others down because that's the only way you can feel good about yourself, you will not get that satisfaction out of me, cause I don't care.

Crap on my thread one more time and I'm putting you on ignore.

Thanks.
My, aren't we the self important one. Why should I care if you ignore me? All you've displayed here so far is a whiney self entitled attitude, some bad advice, and a story about how two months in bjj about ruined your body.

If the last part is true, your training was bad. That's just a fact.

OP
D

Deleted member 40465

My, aren't we the self important one. Why should I care if you ignore me? All you've displayed here so far is a whiney self entitled attitude, some bad advice, and a story about how two months in bjj about ruined your body.

If the last part is true, your training was bad. That's just a fact.

Have it your way.

Man that kid was annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who cannot remember the most fundamental basics of the art
I don't think it's all that unusual for folks to not remember what the first thing was they were taught. Instructors choose different first lessons. Sometimes it even differs based on who's in the room. The first thing is also not necessarily the most fundamental basic. And not remembering what was taught first isn't the same thing as not remember the thing, itself.

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it's all that unusual for folks to not remember what the first thing was they were taught. Instructors choose different first lessons. Sometimes it even differs based on who's in the room. The first thing is also not necessarily the most fundamental basic. And not remembering what was taught first isn't the same thing as not remember the thing, itself.

Exactly. And it is kind of sad that it is actually nescessary to point this out. As to anyone curious about my Hapkido linage, I have posted about that in the lineage thread in the Hapkido sub forum.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its not my intention to be disrespectful to anyone's training, but Hapkidos philosophies are fundamental to 3 things, live hand, movement (the 8 directions) and T stance, yes break falls are important as are the redirection of force, circular movement etc, just watch any video of a competent Hapkidoist, or watch Ji Han Jae fight scene in game of death, or the final fight scene in Young master, watch the hands, movement and foot placement, every move leads to the next, also, when I trained the training syllabus of IHF is, you work your way up to 1st Dan grading requirements, but in order to obtain 1st Dan, the grading contains all grading techniques from white belt up to 1st Dan to be performed in order to receive the 1st Dan, you then work on 2nd dan syllabus, but to pass 2nd dan grading, all grading syllabus from white belt to 2nd Dan must be performed, left and right side in order to achieve a pass, same in 3rd Dan, that is why it took 6 hours of grading to obtain my 3rd Dan (+ time for breaks), this is done to maintain quality of the techniques, and any teacher knows exactly what is required at any stage of teaching up to one belt below what they hold, so if this person did train IHF, he should remember the very 1st technique taught.

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As stated before I trained in Hapkido from 1991 until 2008, I spent a lot of time, training with other MA as a training pair until 2015, I then started Systema, but I still remember the very 1st techniques taught, and I have learnt from your self jpseymour, answer a question over a few posts in order to climb the most post rankings :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, perhaps, just the learner misunderstanding.
Naw. If someone is running a school/teaching (in bjj at least) it's up to them to make sure the students aren't going to hard for their skill level. If you are letting your beginner students get physically demolished, you are an objectively bad instructor.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have also attended seminars under grand master Bong Soo Han, Kwang Sik myung, Tae Man Kwon, and Jong Bae Rim in the US, who have similar training syllabus.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m not sure whether this is a joke or the misunderstanding of a beginner.

In practice, always respect the tap.
In competition, always respect the tap.
When fighting in self defense, ignore the tap. If someone is willing to assault you in the first place, you can’t assume they won’t do it again the moment you let them go. If the situation is dire enough to justify the use of a choke or armbar in the first place, then put them to sleep or break the arm. Take away their ability to keep attacking you.
If the situation is not dangerous enough to justify putting them to sleep or breaking a limb, then don’t apply the choke or joint lock in the first place.

There are gray areas at times. Sometimes in protective services the need to hold someone and calm them down comes into play.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are gray areas at times. Sometimes in protective services the need to hold someone and calm them down comes into play.
Yep, but in those cases you generally don’t apply techniques which are designed to break limbs or choke someone unconscious. Any good grappler should know ways to control someone without damaging them.

Latest Discussions