Friends and Family

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

To "Show me something" he'd reply: "What do you want me to do, fracture your skull?" There's no winning, so I don't discuss it.

That's great! I'm gonna remember that one! :D

Cthulhu

S

Shinzu

my wife has been my biggest support also. she doesnt participate but she is always there. her father is a black belt in judo so she has been around it all her life.

my other family members just dont get it. i guess they cant get past the physical part.

i know sometimes my wife gets aggrivated when all i talk about is martial arts, but she is really good with it.

thanx babe..xoxoxo

F

fist of fury

I'm real glad that my girlfriend is a big M.A. geek like me:D
We usually fight over he gets to read the new M.A article my instuctor hands out. I win that argument now since shes in school I say well you should work on your homewok first get that out of the way then read the article:D

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

Well, since I got to do Martial Arts 'cause I need to learn the self-defense part, my family is pretty supportive about it. My mom and I do M.A. together in fact. My dad might think it's a little silly and I feel like one of my best friends looks down on me somewhat because I take Martial Arts. I do, however, have another friend who does a different type of M.A. than me and thinks it's awesome. I just wish that everyone I knew would just except it instead of some people looking at me like I'm psycho! :( For one reason, they KNOW I have to take M.A. but they think I'm crazy because I actually enjoy it! :angry:

>sigh<

Robyn :wink:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Opal Dragon

For one reason, they KNOW I have to take M.A.

Have to? Perhaps you've already explained why or perhaps you'd rather not, but having to do so is unusual!

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kirk, that reminds me of the time I tried to explain to my mom that wing chun isn't karate, I'm like wing chun is a seperate style, and she's like but its called karate.

It took forever and finally I said that Wing Chun is a category of karate, and finally I got her to dwindle off the idea.

Then I looked up something on TKD and at one site said that it had only been around for about 30 years. I'm guessing this man particular style he studies.

Then I had to explain to my mom that TKD isn't millions of years old? I'm not sure if I'm right on this but the form was not originally caled TKD it was called lots of other things before it adopted the name TKD?

So thats how the conversation went and she's trying to tell me she's part of the Karate scene even though the last time she trained in Karate was when she was like 22 and she's 48 now.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

Have to? Perhaps you've already explained why or perhaps you'd rather not, but having to do so is unusual!
[/QUOTE

I was just looking at my other posts and No, I didn't state before why my mom and I have to learn Martial Arts before.

My older brother is basically mentally ill and he has (on a few occasions) become violent. :( Aikido has helped us out a lot because it teaches how to get a person down without hurting them. :) We've had to use it before and it works! :D So, that is why my mom and I have to do M.A.

Robyn :wavey:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aaah, I understand! I have heard of such training for people who work with the mentally ill--attendants, nurses, social workers, etc. Good luck!

G

GouRonin

I work on a team that deals with people with a sustained, debilatiating mental illness who are in crisis on a short term 24/7 intensive aid need. I have been assaulted with everything from a coat hanger, fists, feet, to screwdrivers, pencils, hammers, axes, chairs and assorted flying objects.

Before that I worked in corrections where I was assaulted with everything from shattered cups to sharpened toothbrushes.

I like what I do. However most of my work doesn't require martial arts as it does patience.

As far as my family goes, my mother showed up once to a grading years ago. It seems she wanted to know if she could borrow my ladder out of the garage. She was asked if she wanted to stay and she said she would. After she said, "Did you have fun?" Then we went home and she made me paint her living room. Mom never was big on my sports or activities. She was just concerned I was happy and if I was she supported me. I could be discovering the cure for cancer and she'd want to know if I wanted some of the cookies she made.

My wife likes it because it gets me out of the house. But she can also blame anything I do on it because "That's all you want to do isn't it?" She has her cake and eats it too. But in any case when I met my wife I made a conscious effort to stop fighting so much. My wife has only seen my tear up a place once and she did not like it and let me know. I do however run the people I work out with by my wife. She has an uncanny 6th sense and if she doesn't like you I don't work out with you. She's never been wrong. Now I listen to her. I don't care of you're Dan Inosanto, Bruce Lee, Ed Parker and Jhoon Ree all in one. If my wife doesn't like you you're probably a jerk I am better off without.

My friends don't mind it but again they don't come out either. Usually when things go bad my friends will make way because I like to be the first into a good scrap. The last time we had that happen I had a guy leaning over me and into my face. I reached up and used the webbing of my hand between my thumb and first finger and popped him in the throat. Then I sat down and watched him gasp and writhe on the floor while I finished my beer. My best friend said, "Ya know, you used to be a lot more fun." To which I responded, "Uh huh, martial arts is ruining me."

So really, I have friends that I hang out with who do martial arts and some that don't but the 2 rarely mix. My family and non MA friends are glad I have something to do they tell me.

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by GouRonin

I do however run the people I work out with by my wife. She has an uncanny 6th sense and if she doesn't like you I don't work out with you. She's never been wrong. Now I listen to her. I don't care of you're Dan Inosanto, Bruce Lee, Ed Parker and Jhoon Ree all in one. If my wife doesn't like you you're probably a jerk I am better off without.

Gee, is that why I have never been invited to the infamous dog Pound

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife can be the same way Usualy if she does not like someone the first time she meets them their is a reason even if I dont undserstand it at the time
Some people just seem to have that ability
Shadow:asian:

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Bonehead
Gee, is that why I have never been invited to the infamous dog Pound

No, you're just ugly. I DO have a rep to think about you know.

:rolleyes:

T

tonbo

.....yeah, that would be my wife. The funniest thing about it is that she understands so well because she is a martial artist, too. Hardly a day goes by that we are not discussing techniques, or watching each other do forms, or something similar.

She is great, because she is always challenging me. She and I have quite different styles (she is Chen Tai Chi and Shaolin Chuan Fa, I am Kenpo and Iaido), and often play off of each other to pick things up. She will ask me how *I* would do some move, or how I would interpret it, and I do the same with her. It really provides some interesting insight.

It's nice to know that she is always in my corner. Yeah, my parents are supportive (my mom more than my dad), but they just don't get it. My wife, on the other hand, does. She knows and understands that the martial arts are more than a hobby or "just something you do". It's a way of life....:)

Peace--

Latest Discussions