Freestanding Heavy Bag...water or sand

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
sorry to resurrect a dead thread. google brought me here.

how much sand do i need to fill in a freestanding bag? just so it doesn't move too much.

I'm not a heavy hitter, 5foot7inch, no fighting experience. Just bought the everlast pro everflex freestanding punch bag and think i should go with sand to fill it as can't risk a leak. But don't want to make it too heavy that i can't move it around in the apartment from corner to center of room.

any opinions appreciated.

also any youtube channels that could guide me through learning to use the bag. Preferably a practical martial arts style for a novice beginner.

thanks
Fill it with a small amount first. Test it if not enough fill it more...then repeat until you get what you want

oceanic

White Belt
Reaction score
You could have opened a new thread.

wanted the opinions of the owners who have had these bags for a while. and thought it would be good for future reference for everyone else.

I think the sliding around is more of a friction between the floor and base issue than a weight issue. I filled mine with six 45 lbs bags of pea gravel. On a semi-rough concrete basement floor, it still slid a good amount.

I bought one of those industrial rubber floor mats, and it hasn’t moved since. I could’ve probably gotten away with less gravel in it.
View attachment 21190
I got it for about $20 at Home Depot. It fits pretty good under my BOB XL base. It can be cut down to fit almost perfectly under the base if you’ve got heavy scissors/shears/whatever they’re called and some motivation. I’m not that motivated.

thanks for the idea will probably do that. if it slides.

It's probably easier to grab it by the top and use leverage to tip it and roll it on its bottom edge than sliding it into a corner. With that in mind the weight is less of an issue.
At one point we did have a fairly comical thread here about different types of sand and their mass / weight in relation to their geometrical shape VS water and stone.

can't do that with mine as it has a flexible neck. everlast pro everflex.

Why not water and sand?

The right ratio of water and sand will give you a good weighted base with less risk of water damage if you get a crack.

the hole is so tiny. would never be able to get the sand out if i used both.

oceanic

White Belt
Reaction score
Fill it with a small amount first. Test it if not enough fill it more...then repeat until you get what you want

have to buy the sand first. and cheaper the more i buy.

manual says to use 540lbs = 240kg
200kg sand = £28
120kg sand = £24
120kg + 80kg bought separately = £40

with discounts.

but the stuff is heavy so would rather avoid buying more than i need. more than the money savings.

gonna try 120kg i think, that's roughly what 45lbs x 6 equals.

hopefully that will work.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
wanted the opinions of the owners who have had these bags for a while. and thought it would be good for future reference for everyone else.

It's going to be the same people replying whether it's a new thread or on the old thread.

Typical forum etiquette is not to necro threads.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
have to buy the sand first. and cheaper the more i buy.

manual says to use 540lbs = 240kg
200kg sand = £28
120kg sand = £24
120kg + 80kg bought separately = £40

with discounts.

but the stuff is heavy so would rather avoid buying more than i need. more than the money savings.

gonna try 120kg i think, that's roughly what 45lbs x 6 equals.

hopefully that will work.
just a thought; if you live in a location that gets snow or ice, you can put any left over sand in your car trunk for if you ever get stuck.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water is heavier, but messier. Trust me. If you're a heavy hitter (or become one... because practice...) the base can be split along the mold seam. I've done it twice so far; once with a spinning back kick and one with a side kick.
Sand isn't quite as heavy, but it's plenty heavy, I think. And it's a lot easier to clean up.

oceanic

White Belt
Reaction score
Water is heavier, but messier. Trust me. If you're a heavy hitter (or become one... because practice...) the base can be split along the mold seam. I've done it twice so far; once with a spinning back kick and one with a side kick.
Sand isn't quite as heavy, but it's plenty heavy, I think. And it's a lot easier to clean up.

definitely have to go with sand then.

hopefully 120kg enough.

any youtube channels showing moves/exercises to use with the bag?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i believe this is incorrect. sand is heaver than water by volume due to its density. of course wet sand would be even heavier.
Which is heavier 5 gal bucket with sand or with water?

Well, that link doesn't exactly contain anything that could remotely be called science, but I won't argue, since I'm not willing to go weigh a couple buckets. :)
I do think it was easier to knock the bag over when it was filled with water.
So sand is heavier AND easier to clean up. Win-Win.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, that link doesn't exactly contain anything that could remotely be called science, but I won't argue, since I'm not willing to go weigh a couple buckets. :)
I do think it was easier to knock the bag over when it was filled with water.
So sand is heavier AND easier to clean up. Win-Win.
yeah it wasnt science in the least. i just googled it and every link said the same thing,,,as unscientific as it is. once the weather is warmer ..i will do the science and fill a few buckets to lay this eternal debate to rest. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah it wasnt science in the least. i just googled it and every link said the same thing,,,as unscientific as it is. once the weather is warmer ..i will do the science and fill a few buckets to lay this eternal debate to rest. :)

Where it will get nitpicky is the definition of 'sand', since sand is just 'really small rocks' and exists in such a wide variety. The density of the 'sand' will matter, but in determining weight by volume, so will the shape and the actual size of the average grain. More air gaps, lower weight. And there is certainly some types of sand (often called silt) which is pretty much the same density as water. I've dove in caves with no current where screwing up the visibility takes literally hours to clear. And the source material. What if your sand is volcanic rather than granite? Specifically pumice, which we all know is a rock that floats.
Bottom line for me is that sand, regardless of any small difference in weight, is much MUCH easier to clean up when I break the base of our freestanding bags.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where it will get nitpicky is the definition of 'sand', since sand is just 'really small rocks' and exists in such a wide variety. The density of the 'sand' will matter, but in determining weight by volume, so will the shape and the actual size of the average grain. More air gaps, lower weight. And there is certainly some types of sand (often called silt) which is pretty much the same density as water. I've dove in caves with no current where screwing up the visibility takes literally hours to clear. And the source material. What if your sand is volcanic rather than granite? Specifically pumice, which we all know is a rock that floats.
Bottom line for me is that sand, regardless of any small difference in weight, is much MUCH easier to clean up when I break the base of our freestanding bags.
I'm having some deja vu. Yes the type of sand and the granular geometric shape will make a difference somewhat determined by whether it's a man made or natural sand. But to simplify the experiment I will use sand from home depot both play sand and concrete mix sand. As this sand is most likely to be consistent from batch to batch and store to store. Or at least more so than digging in the back yard, or river beds.