Freedom of religion?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would hardly call Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc fringe religions.
The intend was while the majority of the founding fathers where of Christian tradition, they were also much more enlightened than the majority of people seem to be these days. They understood the implementations if one denomination should gain the upper hand in politics. The Colonial history is full of this strife.

Which is why it's not a crime to practice other religions. Doesn't change the fact that we are founded on Christian principles.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
God is mentioned 5 times in the declration of independance

Nature's God
their Creator
Supreme Judge of the world
divine Providence

I'm missing one (two, if you don't count 'divine Providence' as mention of God). Which am I missing?

You have to like how the authors carefully worded the Declaration of Independence to be such an inclusive document. This could easily apply to just about any religion, or even a naturalist that may not believe in a personal god, like Einstein, but consider god as the underlying rules and laws of the universe.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.libertyunderfire.org/2011/07/five-references-to-god-in-the-declaration-of-independence/
Here is the five times referenced in this blog

Nature's God
their Creator
Supreme Judge of the world
divine Providence

I'm missing one (two, if you don't count 'divine Providence' as mention of God). Which am I missing?

You have to like how the authors carefully worded the Declaration of Independence to be such an inclusive document. This could easily apply to just about any religion, or even a naturalist that may not believe in a personal god, like Einstein, but consider god as the underlying rules and laws of the universe.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see what they did to boost the number to five. This blog considers the phrase "Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God" as two separate references to a non-specified "god."

Its not non specified of you know the religion of the Men that wrote it. If you read other texts and speeches they wrote you understand its very specific

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its not non specified of you know the religion of the Men that wrote it. If you read other texts and speeches they wrote you understand its very specific

Yes, they were deists and most claimed to be Christians (it may have been dangerous at that time now to), but despite their own personal beliefs they ultimately chose not specify Christ or a Christian god in the documents that mattered in the creation the country. With great foresight, they intelligently and purposefully did not create a theocracy or country beholden to any particular religion. They knew history all too well to do such a thing.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, they were deists and most claimed to be Christians (it may have been dangerous at that time now to), but despite their own personal beliefs they ultimately chose not specify Christ or a Christian god in the documents that mattered in the creation the country. With great foresight, they intelligently and purposefully did not create a theocracy or country beholden to any particular religion. They knew history all too well to do such a thing.
Not at all. When I talk of God I'm talking of my God I don't need to specifically name him because there is only one. Same for them. When thy speak of God they are speaking of their God their Christian God. Again try as hard as you want we are and have always been a Christian Country. Biggest holiday in the Country is Christmas which celebrates the Birth Of Jesus Christ. No amount of denying it will change that. There are hundreds of examples of Men like Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin ,Adams ect speaking of their Christian Beliefs and how they modeled the Country that way. They didn't want a State run Religion but did believe that without God the country would fail.