free form stickfight sequence

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i posted this on another part of the site. i was asked to choreograph a play in rockford il in the 80's. the play was a futuristic theme at a church i used to attend. a friend of mine asked me to do the work for them and they enjoyed what i did and asked me to be in the play. this is a little clip that my ex wife filmed with a super 8 camera. i was teaching locally at the time, in a style which was similiar to what i would describe as jkd kickboxing with kali added in. i guess you would now call it jkd concepts but we didnt have a real name for it then. i called what i did, "creative martial arts" and have kept that name since the mid eighties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
thanks for the clip,

it amazes me how many people are "oohed" and "ahhed" by high kicks (especially spinning), TBO I never really got the point. In my style of Kenpo there are 2 jump kicks and 2 spinning kicks, we practice kicks high to develop power and flexibility but in our self defense techniques it is rare to have a kick above the solar plexus!! (just some random observations)

Choreographing must be fun, I will be doing a demo for my church soon as well.

Thanks Again,

Chris