Forms and what you do with them....

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure what thread this goes in but it seems to relate obliquely or directly to several subjects brought up before

I'm re-teaching myself all the Taeguek forms as I['m getting ready to start up Taekwondo again and haven't done them in a year and a half. I had learned up to Pal-Jang. So I'm doing quite a bit just on memory work

Last night I did the whole Taeguek series in my living room, in jeans, t-shiry, socks and shoes... in other words, street wear. I was primarliy doing it just for memory work but also to be aware of the differences in jeans pulling against your legs and the extra weight on the end of your foot when kicking. I think the difference in feel and execution is a lot difference between, for example dobok, barefoot on mats and clothed with shoes on carpet so I think being able to do techniques in that second context, and to be aware of the difference, is important to being practical.

A few minutes ago I just finished up doing a set. Barefoot this time but I've been noticing some soreness in my knee(s) so I concentrated on being loose, pivoting on the ball of my foot properly to avoid turning stress on my knees. Since I hadn't really loosened up I took it easy on the intensity but I concentrated on the extension and hold on my kicks. Not worried about height or forcing my leg up but just a good controlled lift, extension, hold, retract and down cycle for all my kicks. After this I went out to the garage...well I was going out to get some chicken from the freezer but the heavy bag was just hanging there and well... you know how it goes... So what I worked on was extracting out some pieces of the form and working the movements with power sped and 'realism' Mostly the opening move from Pil-Jang (drop into back stance with a knife block and step forward with a reverse punch) and some from Il-Jang (some ninety degree turns with a block and reverse punch). Instead of starting in jumbi I just started in a relaxed natural stance. Instead of worring about squaring up, foot placement, etc..it was just "bam bam" block-strike. Just taking *one* move out of a form and practicing with power (into the bag) speed, intensity, etc...

Anyway, just some examples of taking the normal forms out of the rigid way of doing them in the dojang and getting different kinds of work from how you do them or even just parts of them, in different ways

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nice. I'll try that one of these days, seems a really good idea. I haven't been training for too long as well.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I practice my tuls all sorts of ways - varying the speed, clumping movements into usable chunks and then reclumping them, in street clothes, with and without shoes, in different places (parks are a great place to practice - a variety of surfaces are available) and so on. Tuls are also the source of the techniques I use for step-sparring; once a technique or sequence has been used enough in step-sparring to flow as a set, it can then be used in free sparring (assuming it's appropriate - there a lots of things I do in step-sparring that are not legal in free sparring).

Latest Discussions