Form Competition Specifics

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll be participating in my first tournament this month, I'll be doing one of the basic forms I've learned, Sae Kye Hyung Il Bu (
with three kicks instead of three punches down the middle). I'll be doing this as a 9th Gup, my class will be Mens Green Belt and Below. The question I have is, what will the judges be grading me on? I'm aware that putting effort and power behind my moves, but what about proper foot positions? Will fluid movements be a big thing? Will strong kihaps help out?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hechavez

White Belt
Reaction score
I got experience on Tai Chi forms and Choy Li Fut Forms. I have Latico-Bodig and Lou Gehrig's both and have not smoked medical cannabis in about 2 years. Tai Chi Chuan Yang made by chi very strong where by endocannabinoids have increased and my motor neurons are being replenished throughout my whole body. About six months ago I went to a Choy Li Fut Kung Fu tournament and received a second place metal for orange sash techniques, and first place in the Siu Jin Kuen form. I practiced and practiced for two weeks, and because Tai Chi, Kung Fu, and endocannibinoids keep me calm, that helped me very much to compete fairly. The judges were very fair and graded honestIy. have a purple sash in Kung Fu and a blue sash in Tai Chi.

Fluid movements are a big deal, coordinated proper foot positions are very important. Martial art yelling helps (for example in my Kung Fu Techiniques, I yelled "Ha!" for straight punches, "Jong" for uppercuts, "Qua!" for downward punches with back of the fist, and "Cup!" for downward punches with front of the fist.). All of these impress the judges. I hope you will do fine.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be participating in my first tournament this month, I'll be doing one of the basic forms I've learned, Sae Kye Hyung Il Bu (
with three kicks instead of three punches down the middle). I'll be doing this as a 9th Gup, my class will be Mens Green Belt and Below. The question I have is, what will the judges be grading me on? I'm aware that putting effort and power behind my moves, but what about proper foot positions? Will fluid movements be a big thing? Will strong kihaps help out?

Thanks!

The video has been removed I'm afraid. When you say you are doing kicks instead of punches does this mean you are changing the form? If so can I ask why because marking is usually also done on 'knowledge' of that form/kata/pattern and it would be odd to change it.

Judges grade on focus, correct techniques and stances as well. They also expect you to do the form/pattern to the standard of your belt so if you do the very first form/pattern you learnt it's expected to be done to the standard of your current belt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got experience on Tai Chi forms and Choy Li Fut Forms. I have Latico-Bodig and Lou Gehrig's both and have not smoked medical cannabis in about 2 years. Tai Chi Chuan Yang made by chi very strong where by endocannabinoids have increased and my motor neurons are being replenished throughout my whole body. About six months ago I went to a Choy Li Fut Kung Fu tournament and received a second place metal for orange sash techniques, and first place in the Siu Jin Kuen form. I practiced and practiced for two weeks, and because Tai Chi, Kung Fu, and endocannibinoids keep me calm, that helped me very much to compete fairly. The judges were very fair and graded honestIy. have a purple sash in Kung Fu and a blue sash in Tai Chi.

Fluid movements are a big deal, coordinated proper foot positions are very important. Martial art yelling helps (for example in my Kung Fu Techiniques, I yelled "Ha!" for straight punches, "Jong" for uppercuts, "Qua!" for downward punches with back of the fist, and "Cup!" for downward punches with front of the fist.). All of these impress the judges. I hope you will do fine.

Dammit this is an old thread and I answered, good grief the guys probably a black belt by now, oh well that will teach me to take things on trust. :mst:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Deleted full reply.....I was tricked by Tez in necrohumping this thread back to life.ha.ha.ha

Latest Discussions