Forcing women boxers to wear mini-skits to compete in Olympics

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Tez3, Nov 9, 2011.

1. shesulsa

shesulsa Columbia Martial Arts Academy

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Exactly what I was thinking. All this bull **** about the inferiority of the female psyche when what it really boils down to is some numbnuts doesn't know he from she. LMAO

Actually - it's all a marketing thing. And because it's a marketing thing, it's objectifying women and, thus, offensive to some.

I'm all for it if the guys have to wear marble-holders.

2. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    The Polish and Romanian women's teams didn't choose to wear skirts, their boxing association chose it for them.

What JohnEdward is getting at is ...me. He has made previous sexual remarks about female boxers who he admits he doesn't like watching unless they fight topless. He has made several posts which follow in the vein of the above ie boxing in mud, nightclub entertainment etc. He was told by several posters they thought he was trolling. Complaints were made to mods about the contents of his posts so now his intent seems to be to derail once again the discussion just as it seemed to be getting off the ground again, tbh I'm disappointed.

Elder, it's not a French prat that says he can't tell male from female, it's the president of the AIBA, Dr. Ching-Kuo Wu.

3. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

Then, that dude must be gay......or real, real old....ok-he's only 65. Must be gay.....:lfao:

4. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    He's almost certainly corrupt as one of the links I posted shows, he has sold boxing medals to countries that are meant to be won in the London Olympics next year, so we already know who has won some of the bouts!

To call kilts skirts is to betray an astounding lack of cultural awareness and to insult many Celts who wear kilts.

I started this thread to engender debate and conversation instead it's been made a mockery of by one poster who seems intent on making as much mischief as possible while making unedifying remarks about female fighters and females in general. I fear he won't stop until this thread is locked. It's unacceptable that someone can mock women martial artists, boxing is after all a martial art, to this extent and spoil what looked to be a good discussion. I know he won't read what I write, he's put me on ignore due to what he deemed personal attacks on him by me, really it's because he doesn't like being disagreed with by a female. If you have a moment do look at my 'public' messages to see who is making personal attacks on who.
    I would ask please that we could keep this thread on track, while we've had some amusing deviations, laughter always good in a discussion but please no more sexual or sexist remarks.
    Female boxers are the ones who should have the say in what they wear, it has to be fit for purpose. skirts aren't for a number of reasons, skirts actually show off more thigh than many girls wish to, probably the point of why the men in control want them to wear skirts. Karateka and kick boxers don't wear heavy Judo and BJJ gis for sparring, Judoka don't wear swimming costumes, all for a reason, what kit they wear has to be fit for purpose. Female boxers believe shorts are the best way for them so it should be shorts. If one chooses to wear a skirt, that's a fair one but don't make females wear something they don't want to.

5. Cyriacus

Cyriacus Senior Master

Male Pro Boxers wear those Shorts that dont cover Your Knees though, and I object to that :)

6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    I don't want a male boxer to wear shorts that cover my knees, it would be awkward walking!

7. Cyriacus

Cyriacus Senior Master

Not Really :) They slide up anyway if You move. They just look better if they arent standardly over the Knees.
    MMA has it even worse, but they do it freely.

8. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    I don't want any male boxer sliding up my shorts thank you! Ah, you've heard MMAers are free then?

I don't know where John Edward gets the idea that female boxers see wearing skirts as feminising them, female fighters tend to be secure in their feminiity and I don't think any have expressed the ideas he thinks they have. A flouncy skirt isn't practical, it's actually immodest, shorts will have to be worn underneath it anyway and the whole idea is from men who are in charge of amateur boxing (pro boxing doesn't seem to have the same problem) to make sure women 'know their place' in the scheme of things! The AIBA didn't want female boxers nor did it want female boxing in the Olympics, women and a good many men campaigned and it was put in so now the AIBA wants to punish the female fighters. No female fighter has said they are worried about heckling from the crowd, they are secure, as I said, in themselves, the only one who thinks they are thin skinned is JohnEdward I'm afraid.

if there's any heckling of female fighters I'm afraid it's on here. however as I'm on JohnEdward's ignore list I'm afraid there will be no discussion on that.

9. Cyriacus

Cyriacus Senior Master

Welp, Im gonna Quote another Forum, because its Hilarious and Suitable:

It really would look like Anime, with really good Graphics.

10. JohnEdward

JohnEdward 2nd Black Belt

OMG, they are thinking of making woman wear a skirt! How awful!. How terribly terribly awful. Next think you know they are going to make them man wear shorts. :eek:

Magical magical, what a magic time.

11. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Okay, so, with myself on your ignore list as well, I know you won't see this, but how on earth is that comment in any way adding to the discussion, or anything more than your attempt at humour, and rather inappropriate and condescending, especially considering the thread so far, and the section of the forum you're in? Seriously, how is that in any way not just you trolling?

Okay, yeah, John infuriates me a bit....

12. JohnEdward

OMG, they are thinking of making woman wear a skirt! How awful!. How terribly terribly awful. Next think you know they are going to make them wear shorts just like the men. [​IMG]

Magical magical, what a magic time.​

[​IMG]

How horrible is this for Olympic women's boxing , it really is an issue for sure!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  13. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Okay, I'm a little unsure as to whether or not to report these posts, as they don't seem to be adding anything, and the people who would argue against him he has on ignore....

I think I'll leave it... but encourage any of the women to report it in light of the attitude towards women, and womens martial arts that John is displaying. I'd also recommend removing his ability to ignore, but that's me... I find it hard to discuss things with someone who doesn't listen to anyone...

14. JohnEdward

I understand the concern for wearing skirts in Olympic Women's boxing, Boxer's like Ms. Love and others against skirts sure don't want to get associated with a woman like this....sheesh! What nonsense!
    [​IMG]
    Knockout Mia St. John

................... what else is a woman to do?

15. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Who are you talking to, John? Seriously, the only person answering you is me, and you don't read my posts? So who are you having this discussion with?

Anyone know?

16. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

Once the tongue is removed from the cheek, this almost makes a legitimate point. Of course, it misses the point that we're talking about amateur athletes here. Ms. St. John, on the other hand, is a professional-one can only see a photo like that and assume that she got paid for it.

17. Cyriacus

Cyriacus Senior Master

...Isnt the Olympics Professional Standard? Not Amateur?
    (Thats an Actual Question, not a Statement)

18. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    JohnEdward of course is missing the obvious in that the female professional boxer is choosing for herself what she wears and does rather that have a commitee of men decide for her because THEY CAN'T TELL THE MEN FROM THE WOMEN. How insulting is that? guys, tell your wives and girlfriends to wear a skirt next time they go so you can tell them apart from the men, oh and good luck!

While the pro boxer looks good in her bikini I don't see the relevance to the discussion, it's not about the female boxers not wanting to look like her or be like her, it's about being forced to wear kit that's not fit for purpose throught the choice of old guys who don't like women boxing.

19. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Amateur standards with amateur rules. Some will chose to go professional after the Olympics, especially if they do well, but still have a learning curve to reach professional standards once they turn pro.

20. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

Not to mention a loooong list of ways that they have to conduct themselves, places they're permitted and not permitted to go to, substances that they're not permitted to use (many of which are over the counter substances that professionals are permitted to use), and what they have to wear.

The USOC's Code of Conduct requires athletes to act in a sportsmanlike manner "consistent with the spirit of fair play and responsible conduct." Athletes pledge to respect other athletes, spectators and officials. More specifically, U.S. athletes agree they will not commit a doping violation and have not been found to have done so in the past. They agree not to engage in crimes, and state they have never been convicted of a crime and have no pending charges or indictments against them. They also agree to follow team rules and the rules regarding clothing, which asks them to wear designated clothing at all official events and whenever possible

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011