For those

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
cfr said:
For win2k, you can create boot disks. Go to Start/ help/ index/ type in boot... it will give you instructions on how to do this. I would assume ME would be the same on these types of things.
Unless I'm misreading this thread, if he can't boot to the desktop do to Kernel crashes, he's not going to be able to boot in the method you describe.

From the PC you're posting on, go to Bootdisk.com and grab their bootdisk. It's already setup and ready to go, you just need to follow the directions and put it on a floppy.

If not, bring it with you to Columbus next time you're down and I'll take a look at it.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today I think I found out why my floppy's didn't work inside my computer. When I looked inside the A-drive I noticed towards the back of it a small piece of metal was bent upward. Probably from the kids shoving something in there no doubt :rolleyes: . This would explain why I couldn't make a boot disk when I put in both floppy's.
Anyway I have one last question (hopefully). After making this boot disk and reinstalling windows will all of my programs disappear? My main concern is the adaptec cd/creator. If it completely takes out all programs on the reinstall I need to find the .exe file on this I suppose. Any thoughts? :asian:

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Unless I'm misreading this thread, if he can't boot to the desktop do to Kernel crashes, he's not going to be able to boot in the method you describe.

Perhaps I misread. I didnt get that from the post.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Anyway I have one last question (hopefully). After making this boot disk and reinstalling windows will all of my programs disappear? My main concern is the adaptec cd/creator. If it completely takes out all programs on the reinstall I need to find the .exe file on this I suppose. Any thoughts? :asian:

Yes it will remove everything. Do you have the cd for this program? Can you download it? This has been ongoing for a while. Im guessing you dont want to drop/ have the cash for new software and dont want to obtain anything illegally? If this is correct, you may want to look into something free like Red Hats Fedora.

http://www.redhat.com/fedora/

Its free (legally) and Ive found it pretty easy. There also lots of support for newbies at:

http://fedoraforum.org/

P

PeachMonkey

cfr said:
If this is correct, you may want to look into something free like Red Hats Fedora.
I think it's safe to say that someone that needs this much support with a Windows reinstall is probably not equipped to maintain a Linux installation of any sort.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Somewhat agreed. But I think its also safe to say that ME is crap, and anything is better than that. Also safe to say that a useable version of linux is better/ easier to manage/ more user friendly than an unusable version on windows.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CFR,
I sent you a personal message the other day did you get it? :asian:

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I never check those things. I see it but theres no "reply" button. Theres a "quote" button, will that PM you or reply here?

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cfr said:
I never check those things. I see it but theres no "reply" button. Theres a "quote" button, will that PM you or reply here?

He he he, :)
It's ok, the quote will reply. :asian: