For Staff Training

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Quick question for you CMA folks. I just passed my 4th chamber test and am going to begin Shaolin Staff training and wanted to know, if I am better off with using a Rattan or White Waxwood staff ? There is a mix of both used at my school and I am leaning towards White Waxwood as it seems more sturdy but I wanted to make sure.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
IMO, and as far as I know traditionally, White Wax wood staff, I have learned about 2 CMA staff forms and did drills for another and all were/are White Wax Wood. The only difference between the staffs for each style was the length.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends...

I've used both BUT both had their own specific applications & use.

The waxwood is more commonly associated with the single headed staff. It's a precursor to spear & share a lot of the same techniques as spears. It's tight & controlled in usage application... much like a spear.

The rattan is more commonly associated with the double headed staff. It's a bludgeoning weapon in use & feel.

Not saying you can't do both with either, but one has a certain (to me anyway) feel of one thing & vice versa.

Make your choice based on... a) what feels good, and b) what your sifu tells you to get.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what is taught in your school and what the forms involve should determine which you use.
Personally I like wax wood but I do have rattan staffs for some forms

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suggest waxwood, but discuss it with your instructor. He may feel that each form ought to be done with a specific type staff, and there may be good reasons for this.

OP
bowser666

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I checked with my Sifu and he said for now , go with Rattan. Later on in training get a waxwood. So I bought a Rattan one :) Thanks for the tips people. I am going to buy a waxwood one as well.

jow yeroc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We use waxwood in our gwoon, but rattan should be no prob if that is what your sifu
suggests. Good luck anyway!!

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you use waxwood, the staff must be properly prepared.
First, shave off all the nodules and bumbs so that your staff is totally smoothe. Give it a good sanding as well.
Then, get a pvc pipe, cap off the ends,place your staff into the pipe and fill the pipe with Tung Oil, which yu can purchase at any hardware store.
Rotate the pipe every few days, check the level every few weeks.
After two-three months, the staff will be saturated with the oil, making it more dense, heavier, and as resilient as rattan.
Years ago, they would make a trough and fill it with Tung oil and condition several staves at once. This is the traditional method.
Enjoy your training!

jow yeroc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you use waxwood, the staff must be properly prepared.
First, shave off all the nodules and bumbs so that your staff is totally smoothe. Give it a good sanding as well.
Then, get a pvc pipe, cap off the ends,place your staff into the pipe and fill the pipe with Tung Oil, which yu can purchase at any hardware store.
Rotate the pipe every few days, check the level every few weeks.
After two-three months, the staff will be saturated with the oil, making it more dense, heavier, and as resilient as rattan.
Years ago, they would make a trough and fill it with Tung oil and condition several staves at once. This is the traditional method.
Enjoy your training!

TT is the man and very correct. When i first learned our style's primary staff
form i bought 2 poles. I treated one with the tung oil and practiced with
the other one. The treated pole is no doubt a skullbuster & my favorite weapon.

Latest Discussions