Folders ~ Best knives for combat purposes?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
And if I'm not mistaken, the maximum allowed blade length for folding knives is 3", at least in my state.

It varies. In Atlanta the limit is 2", but someone recently killed one mugger and wounded another with such a blade. (This is the story referred to here, though the story linked there doesn't mention the 2" limit. The fact is related in the Wall Street Journal article referred to in the first link.) See www.packing.org for some state-by-state info. on knife lengths. I believe that 4" is pretty common.

As to assisted-open knives...I am always somewhat suspicious. I have a few of them. Sometimes they open when they shouldn't. I am loathe to rely on a mechanical device...yet, some are very simple and seem to be reliable, like the Waverider feature. A swicthblade is quick, but tends to be flimsy and fails easily. There's no winning! A fixed blade is best, when feasible.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here in Indiana, there is no length restriction. If I wanted too, I could carry around a machete. It just can't be an automatic knife or "shoot" the blade. The assisted opening ones are perfectly legal though.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
Never could figure that out..I carry one of the new Ka-Bar knives that has a fixed blade and its own sheath..Unless I show it off you wouldn't see it..Its small enougfh to fit behind my magazine holders..As far as the weapon I am an LEO and I only carry 50% of the time...But I carry it EVERYWHERE except Airports and certain Goverment facilities...
Do you mean the K-Bar TDI knife? I just got one of those. Nice little discreet knife there.

There are many fixed blade knives that are designed to be carried discreetly and deployed quickly with 4 inch blades and smaller.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Actually, the Kershaw speed-safe folding knives (Chive, Scallion, Leek) deploy very quickly - I daresay just as fast as a switchblade. I can whip mine out in an instant.

And if I'm not mistaken, the maximum allowed blade length for folding knives is 3", at least in my state.
True, I'd rather have one of the Kershaw assisted opening than most auto knives I've handled. But they are still slower to deploy than a fixed blade.

Jeff

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
DThere are many fixed blade knives that are designed to be carried discreetly and deployed quickly with 4 inch blades and smaller.

Neck knives, for example! Yes, fixed blades can be concealed, with some care. Some people hide spike-like knives in their clothes in truly ingenious ways!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer using an IWB sheath. Discreet and easy to deploy.

Jeff

TomKat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Crawford/Kasper folder is an excellent choice. It sells for around $50. It has a 3" blade & a safety system that prevents it from closing while in use.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folders are great to have with you. A good quality lockback blade can serve quite well as a combat or utility tool, and the difference in many a locality, is that a lockback knife with a sub-3" blade is most likely going to be perfectly legal in most places, whereas something that goes beyond might be restricted (again depending on locality).

I recommend Spyderco's Delica knife (any of the options). This is a very easily concealed knife, and that the blade is an excellent one, backed by Spyderco's lifetime warranty.

The blade is 2 7/8", which is plenty long enough for combat purposes, should you need to use it, but at the same time, the knife all but disappears into a front pants pocket, or is easily clipped to the pocket, with only a very slightly noticeable clip showing. It can be rapidly deployed, and to me, I see no difference in the speed of deployment between this and the assisted opening ones.

Spyderco's bargain brand, Byrd, also makes a similar knife for even cheaper, but it's still a good one.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the Emersons with the Wave feature. It has a little hook that catches on the pocket that opens the blade. No buttons or thumb studs to manipulate. Its as fast as drawing a fixed blade knife.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone tried, or seen in use that "sheath" for folding knives that opens the blade as you pull it out? I'm pretty sure it's made by CRKT.

Jeff

Stan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many people here are discussing the legal advantages of a folder, but I'm curious; do you know of any jurisdiction where a folder is more legal than a fixed blade of exactly the same blade length? If not, I would think even a really small fixed blade would make a beter defensive knife- bigger handle, more likely to have a guard, etc. I'm dubious of many folders. They're great for slashing, but slashing doesn't end fights. Every time I try thrusting with a folder, I feel like my hand will slide up the blade on impact.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Haven't seen the CRKT one. Is this a generic sheath for different folders or designed to work with a specific model?

I did see a kydex sheath at a gunshow made by Cutters Knife & Tool that opens thier Bengal karambit on draw. I think the guy said blade-tech made them for CKAT.

found it http://www.karambit.com/ckat_qr_kydex.htm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stan said:
Many people here are discussing the legal advantages of a folder, but I'm curious; do you know of any jurisdiction where a folder is more legal than a fixed blade of exactly the same blade length?

I think the difference is not in the law but in how the court might view it. Legally, apart from switchblades, it's just blade length that's regulated, I believe. An effort is made by manufacturers to keep assisted-open knives from being labeled switchblades. The switchblade laws were probably never needed, but they're still on the books.

I like folders for the convenience, but as mentioned one can often do as well with a short fixed blade.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Has anyone tried, or seen in use that "sheath" for folding knives that opens the blade as you pull it out? I'm pretty sure it's made by CRKT.

You probably mean the Merlin that is discussed here. Looks pretty neat to me, but I couldn't see myself wearing one.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Stan said:
Many people here are discussing the legal advantages of a folder, but I'm curious; do you know of any jurisdiction where a folder is more legal than a fixed blade of exactly the same blade length? If not, I would think even a really small fixed blade would make a beter defensive knife- bigger handle, more likely to have a guard, etc. I'm dubious of many folders. They're great for slashing, but slashing doesn't end fights. Every time I try thrusting with a folder, I feel like my hand will slide up the blade on impact.

I live in Wyoming now, where there is no problem with open carry of a fixed blade, or a restriction on length, but I grew up in Seattle and there is a distinct difference in the Seattle Municipal Code:

SMC 12A.14.010 Definitions.

The following definitions apply in this chapter:

A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife
having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

B. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length,
with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or
slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword,
bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor
blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.

SMC 12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:

B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous
knife, or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon
other
than a firearm; or

So in this city ANY fixed blade is outlawed while folders up to 3.5 inches are considered not to be a "dangerous knife."

Lamont

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Automatic opening knives are legal to own here in Florida. Flea Market is swarming with cheap examples. MicroTech is probably one of the better known auto-knife makers, they're located about an hour south of me. But I really don't see a benift to have an auto besides the coolness factor, you still have to push a button. Not sure about the legality of carry for non-license holders? In Florida we have a Concealed Weapons Liscense (CWL) which lets you carry pretty much anything legal. no size limit.

Florida Statute 790.225- Ballistic self-propelled knives are unlawful to manufacture, sell, or possess punishable by forfeiture and penalty.
It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess, or use a ballistic self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile and which physically separates the blade from the device by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas. A ballistic self-propelled knife is declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon and a contraband item. It shall be subject to seizure and shall be disposed of as provided in 790.08. Any person violating these provisions is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree.
This section shall not apply to any device from which a knifelike blade opens, where such blade remains physically integrated with the device when open (ie Switchblade, stiletto, etc).

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stan said:

Like I said before a fixed blade is always preferable but unfortuantely not legal everywhere. Plus when you are in court and your lawyer is defending you it might be easier for them to defend you with a folder because almost every male out there has carried a folder at one time or another. On the other side very few people are walking around carrying fixed bladed knives. So legally you may have an advantage if taken to court over a matter where you had to pull it out. Myself, I use my folder every day to open things up. (every day) It is a utility knife par excellence and that is a good reason for me to be carrying it. It can also quickly and efficiently be used for personal protection. (that is another plus)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
K-bars are great!

Look here for other good suggestions
http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21632

I do think the title of this thread needs more clarification. For an out-and-out Combat knife you're looking at a knife in the 11-12" overall size range. Seems like alot of people are talking about modern day self-defense type knives and taking into consideration legal and social concerns.

Maybe this should be split into 2 categories? True combat knives without compromise and self-defense knives citizens would carry on a daily basis? If given the choice - ie: your going into a combat zone - you probably wouldn't pick a folder as your primary blade (maybe as a handy secondary utility knife) and likewise, a fullsize combat knive would be cumbersome to carry to work everyday. What knives would fit in the middle of the 2? Maybe an 8 or 9" fixed blade that still carried well?

OK...sorry, read though the first post about carrying TO WORK.

Latest Discussions