Foiled again!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last Wednesday, after much consideration and the purchase of an electric foil, body cord, lame, and electric mask (they now electrify the lower portion of the bib, so the mask I wore for epee wouldn't suffice), I made my first foray into sport foil.

I learned foil years ago, but only fenced it steam, and moved onto epee, which I fenced both steam and electric. I was pleased that I didn't embarass myself; I actually received a lot of positive feedback, and on top of that, really enjoyed myself. I'm definitely the odd one though, as I still fence with a French grip (yes, they really do come electric!).

I learned row when I learned to fence, but having been primarilly an epeeist, I never had to fence under a formalized row rule set. Part of the reason that I decided to fence foil was to become better, and without a pool of good fencers, that simply wasn't going to happen.

I returned last night for the second time. I would have posted about it last week, but by waiting until today, I can say that I was literally... foiled again. :p

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious.... what is meant by "fenced it steam?" Is it just the non-electric scoring? I assume "row" means Right of Way?

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Curious.... what is meant by "fenced it steam?" Is it just the non-electric scoring? I assume "row" means Right of Way?

Steam or dry are terms for non electric. My instructor back in 1980 used the term. It kind of stuck. Yes, row is right of way.

Latest Discussions