Focus point for sparring

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just curious about this.
I'm just wondering, durring sparring were does everyone keep their eyes focused on their opponent?

1. The opponent's eyes.
2. The opponent's head.
3. The opponent's shoulders.
4. The opponent's arms
5. The opponent's chest.
6. The opponent's sternum.
7. The opponent's stomach.
8. The opponent's waist area.
9. The opponent's legs.
10. The opponent's feet.

I personally prefur the chest/ sternum area,
so probably #5 or #6

- Hwoarang_tkd26

M

Marky3dan

1, 3 and 10

1. eyes cause i know wheres hes lookin at so i know where hes going 2 attack
3. shoulders cause i know when hes moving, if u notice everybody moves their shoulders when they move in
10. cause i know what kick is coming

thats what i do but im sure there r many ppl that think different

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to focus generally on a center point by imagining a triangle created by their eyes and shoulders. I don't try to focus on any one thing, more try to keep as much of them in my field of vision as possible. Don't really have to shift my eyes around much from there. Not hard to discern kicks punches etc from how the body moves.

It's basically stealing from Musashi, but hey...

B

beast

I usually keep my eyes in the sternum/stomach area, then glance towards the leg or foot when i see a technique start (shifting hips, etc). I often check the eyes to make sure my partner is paying attention though. If they slow down a bunch, or don't throw an attack or fake for a bit, i'll glance up to make sure they're not sleeping or looking off at someone else for example.

On the other hand, many people i've sparred with tend to look at the eyes, darting to each attack or fake as it comes. Seems to make them very jumpy, not to mention they attempt to block everything, even if it's nowhere close.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I also use the triangle method Marginal mentioned. (So it was Musashi who came up with that, eh?) I find that my peripheral vision usually does a good job of seeing attacks come from the legs.

Unless my opponent is significantly taller than me. Then I've usually got to pick a new place for the triangle, probably between their shoulders and waist.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I doubt Musashi invented it, but he did mention it in The Book of Five Rings, and I appropriated it from there. ;)

A

AnimEdge

I generaly look in the eyes, but everyone i spar with generaly looks for the chest sholder area, who knows maybe its just my inexperence :p

On the defensive the waist area is an excellent area. Pretty much all people, when they make a movement there is some type of movement in the waist area first. On the offensive, the shoulders are a good place to look. You can throw a distraction shot and see where there arms are and are able to move. This gives you the time and the openings for a strike.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look generally at the chest area and as others have said, peripheral vision can take in the shoulders and feet showing whether the shoulders are turning, weight is shifting from one foot to the other. etc. TW

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i was always taught eyes and shoulders you can see what they are targeting on you with there eyes and you can see what they are useing with there shoulders

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say there is some poor wording in the question, a focus point is a bad idea resulting in tunnel vision.

Don't focus on any point, or you will get hit be another...

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shoulders/chest. depend on awareness and peripherial (or however you spell it) vision for hand, foot movement. Not eyes - very distracting

-Flamebearer

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
My instructor told me to never focus on one entire thing. While sparring with my sensei, I looked him in the eyes, and he nailed me, it took just that. Instead, I try to focus on the body, ALMOST like a blur.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Put thought into where you are looking and you will get hit, doesn't matter what you are looking at. Just relax and be alert, let that sort of thing take care of itself...

H

Homy

I usually look at the face(amazing how many people give away attacks with a facial expression first)
of course some others give nothing away and i just pick up their shoulder movement...try never to look down..unless its a deliberate ruse ..look down attack high
but sparing being as it is i still miss the signals sometimes and end up getting
thwacked in the nose
but how can you not love that..

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lol ( rolleyes) I'm good with that ....... too easy ;)

for me it's usually their eyes ( but only as a sizing up strategy which is probably why sensei owned you when you looked in his ), but if they have a really low / open or slack guard ( and never ceases to amaze me how often I see this), I'll likely afford a lower focus and shift btween shoulders/ chest and maybe feet.

Latest Discussions