FMAT: You say pekiti I say dekiti

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
You say pekiti I say dekiti
By billc - 09-19-2010 01:53 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Last weekend, Sept. 11 2010 I went to a Katipunan in Illinois where several instructors taught various FMA. I had trained with the host of the event and knew he had taught a blend of several arts, including Pekiti tirsia. My current instructor teaches Dekiti Tirsia as taught to him by Jerson "Nene" Tortal, Leo Gaje's uncle. At one point my former instructor was going to do some seguidas from PTK and looked at my current instructor and said, "I don't mean to step on your toes but we are going to do some seguidas..." From my experience DTS does not do seguidas, although my instructor is familiar with them, they just aren't a part of the DTS main curriculum.
About couple of weeks before the Katipunan, I met several practitioners of FMA near my home, it was really a chance encounter, and we started discussing the arts we each studied. I mentioned that I was currently training in Dekiti Tirsia Sirada, and one of the guys was a little confused. The guy next to him said, " Its Pekiti Tirsia, but the P is changed into a D." At least it was something like that that he said. I am curious. I have trained a little in PTK with the host of the Katipunan, and now I have trained in DTS for over a year. These styled are far more different than just a one letter change. I am not looking to start a controversy between Tortal family members or supporters, nor am I saying which style is better. I am just curious, how many PTK practitioners out there realize how different these two arts are from each other after decades of divergent experience and choices by their teaching heads? I would be interested because I really like DTS and PTK and hope that everyone has a chance to see the differences and gain knowledge from the differences.

Thanks

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions