FMAT: Training With vs Training AS a Newbie

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Training With vs Training AS a Newbie
By travtex - 09-24-2008 02:02 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

So, I'm nursing a few training injuries tonight. Normally, my 'injuries' are random scrapes and bruises that I don't quite notice until some random person at work says, "My God, what happened to your arm?!?", at which point I twist around to see the Gigantic Bruise, or whatever.

I'm guessing that since I actually notice this time, and said, "Aaaah!" and everything when they happened, that THESE are a bit worse. ;)

Was training with a young first or second-timer, and I just have to point out a probable obvious observation. I've done various MA since I was around eight, but it's FAR more noticeable with FMA of which I've only put in a few months: New people are DANGEROUS. *laugh*

I had a bit of an advantage in being less of a dangerous spaz in that I'd studied arts that incorporated joint locks before, so I'm well aware that if someone is nice enough to train with you in a way that they submit their joints for the locking, you don't just jerk your body weight into the application.

Obviously, I'm not exempt (I recently did an 'oops' that had me behind my partner and instead of putting a training blade at this throat, more or less stuck it IN his mouth. "Gkrrmmf! *gag*" It struck me as a wickedly effective thing to do in real life situations, BUT...).

Tradeoff is fair play, though. Tonight's accumulation after two hours of locks, disarms, and entries:

At least one broken rib. Having broken them before (In, stupidly, the exact same spot), I know the feeling. Result of a body weight drop knee into my ribcage. 'Crunch' is never a good sound.

Gimpy wrist. Result of a 'nikkyo' type wrist lock with a body weight drop instead of a 'Let the guy tap' application. Normally, I can flow with locks if they're applied aggressively, but damned if the guy didn't do a GREAT job of offbalancing me. (He was apologetic, I was impressed and encouraging. *laugh* 'No, -real- great job. F'd me up but good!'

Those are the only ones that matter, because I'll probably have to go lightly for a little while.

More fun variants: Bruise the size of my fist is already on my tricep, only two hours after the fact. Kind of an weird blood-blister type pressure bruise from getting a teeny pinch of my tricep stomped against the floor.

And in what I think makes for a good object lesson -- The -least- effective, in terms of pain and stopping power: Elbowed directly in the face. That shocked him the most, but it was the least effective in changing my mind had I actually being trying to bash him with a stick/bat/tire iron. Punch me in the cheekbone, neh. Punch me in the elbow? OW!

So, all that ranting is just in service of a random general two-way question:

Anyone been ravaged by a completely new person, OR accidentally hurt someone while new? (Stealth Lesson for me is an affirmation of one of my instructor's catch phrases; "It ain't magic." ANYone can be dangerous and/or unpredictable.)

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions