Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Training for speed
By TuhonBill - 02-01-2013 12:09 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi Folks,

Got the following question on my Facebook page and thought you would like to see the exchange.

Dear Tuhon Bill,

I just wanted to say first off that your stick speed is ridiculous. As in ridiculously fast lol I was wondering what kind of practices I can do to get my flow down, from movement to movement when free forming it, and also what practices can I do to develop crazy speed like that with a stick? Thank you very much for your time sir.

Robert B.

Hi Robert,
To get speed you have to practice in two areas, endurance and coordination. For endurance, do multiple reps a day of each exercise found in the "Dirty Dozen" drills. Start with 10 reps of each exercise and work up to 100 reps, 3 days a week. For coordination, do 10-15 minutes of one combination of strikes slowly and smoothly 6 days a week. Start with a simple combo like the four basic diagonal strikes. The trick here is to do the combo only as fast as you can do it perfectly. If it is not perfect-slow down until it is. You want to have all the parts of the combo moving at the same speed. Gradually speed this up.

Here's the video clip he linked to the comment. (sorry about the quality. It's a copy of a copy from VHS)

This shows Grandtuhon Gaje and I at a seminar in Hannover, Germany in 1996.

So folks, what are your thoughts on training for speed?

Regards,
Tuhon Bill McGrath

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed