FMAT: Kicking Technique

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Kicking Technique
By ChrisS - Sat, 27 Jan 2007 03:31:18 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

One of the things I've come to truly appreciate about Sikaran is the the way that the hips are utilized to provide power, strength, speed, and take stress off the knee when throwing a kick. One of the big differences between Sikaran kicking and Tae Kwon Do kicking (this is not a shot against TKD in any way, merely an observation of my own) is that Sikaran doesn't place as much emphasis on snapping the knee for a snap kick, thus saving the joint some grief. While our kicks like the roundhouse and side kick have snap to them, using the hips to push and control the kicks is always present. I've found that very little speed is lost when I add thrust into a side kick, rather than only snapping my knee. Also, building strength in this area creates a very solid foundation -- an important thing for someone who is kick-oriented. In an art known for its kicks, it seems like being able to use the hips to "juice" any kick is a necessity.

Any thoughts from other Sikaran practitioners or other kickers? I'm curious how fundamental the hips are to others.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed