FMAT: Is One Month Of Concentrated Training Enough To Learn The Basic

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Is One Month Of Concentrated Training Enough To Learn The Basic
By HANGAWAY - Thu, 04 Jan 2007 02:16:45 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

HI i PLAN TO GET TRAINING IN BACOLOD WITH NENE TORTAL WHEN i WILL HAVE MY VACATION IN BACOLOD. i WONDER IF A MONTH OF CONCENTRATED TRAINING ILL BE ABLE TO MASTER THE BASIC OF KNIFEFIGHTING OR THE STICK.I AM NOT A BEGINNER AT SELF DEFENSE AND I DO LOT OF SPARRING
WITH A PADDED PLASTIC TUBING, PLASTIC KNIFE, TO SIMULATE ACTUAL UNRESTRICTED MOVEMENT OF ACTUAL COMBAT. WE DO IT FULL SPEED AND POWER. I DEVELOP MY SPEED, REACTION, FOOTWORK AND AWARENESS TO DANGER TO A DEGREE i THINK BETTER EVEN TO SOME PEOPLE WITH TRAINING. I USUALLY CARRY WITH ME A 21 INCH EXPANDABLE BATON OR A 3INCH POCKET KNIFE. IF I TRAIN WITH PEKITI TERSIA U THINK ILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE MULTIPLE ASSAILANT IF THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION FOR ME EXCEPT TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH. I DONT WANT TO HAVE FALSE SINCE OF SECURITY THATS WHY I CARRY WEAPON ALL THE TIME. ANY LOGICAL COMMENT IS APPRECIATED.
THANK U

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alot of this is going to come down to how much additional time one puts into their training. Considering that many of the top FMA masters, have been doing this all their life, I don't think that one month is going to put someone remotely close to being an expert.

There are no shortcuts in training. If a month was all it took, then everyone out there would be an expert.

Just my .02

Mike

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
true to the above. but a month of concentrated (i mean a four or more daily hours) training from a talented instructor will be enough for you to get a good handle on the basics.

at beginning levels, it's all about repetition. understanding and mastery take time, but the basics require only that you do them a few thousand times.

figure two classes worth of reps a day for thirty days: sixty classes. the average student in a neighborhood dojo logs that many hours in 6 months.

so yeah, you should come out of there with a solid set of basics. just remember to keep practicing once you come home, and to seek further instruction.

Latest Discussions