FMAT: A racist "FMA student"

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
A racist "FMA student"
By Malapitan - Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:39:14 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I didn't think it was possible to someone to claim to be studying FMA and yet completely despise Filipino and probably anything that's "foreign".

http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/f...e-you-one.html

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually know a guy who said he doesn't like any non-white race, but has trained in a few Asian Martial Arts. It all sounds pretty stupid to me.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually know a guy who said he doesn't like any non-white race, but has trained in a few Asian Martial Arts. It all sounds pretty stupid to me.

Hey, if he were thinking logically, he wouldn't be a racist, would he? I know a few so-called "Christians" who "love Jesus" but hate Jews. Go figure that one out! Funny how "Supremacists" are always the farthest from being "supreme".

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have know a few of them also from time to time.
Unfortunately racism exists in every culture and runs both ways, from those that think no one from outside of there country ( read also race) can learn their native arts to those that just hate anyone not of their race or country

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A racist "FMA student"
By Malapitan - Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:39:14 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk
====================

I didn't think it was possible to someone to claim to be studying FMA and yet completely despise Filipino and probably anything that's "foreign".

http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/f...e-you-one.html

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed
There was nothing racist about that first thing you had us read. He was pointing out that the tourists get sold crap.
Sean

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was nothing racist about that first thing you had us read. He was pointing out that the tourists get sold crap.
Sean

I agree, it seemed to me that he was stating an opinion on the quality of knives made in the Phillippines. Exactly where did he become a racist?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you guys read the entire thread? The racism gets pretty damn overt.

I read it. He makes a couple of ignorant cracks about Filipino culture, which he obviously knows little about, but nothing racial.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read it. He makes a couple of ignorant cracks about Filipino culture, which he obviously knows little about, but nothing racial.

You honestly don't think calling Filipinos malnourished, moped-riding, rice eating, people who sell their family members as mail order brides racist?
How overt would it have to get before you would call it racist?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You honestly don't think calling Filipinos malnourished, moped-riding, rice eating, people who sell their family members as mail order brides racist?

Well, at the very least it would have to fit the definition that you generously provided on the other site. This doesn't. These are cultural slurs, akin to calling Americans a bunch of fat, gun-toting religious zealots. Insulting? Yes. Racist? No.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the immortal words of Molly Ivins:

I am reminded of George Carlin's advice to those who miss the Old South so much that they re-enact Confederate battles in great detail:

Use real bullets, <expletives>!

(..or swords, as appropriate).

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thread on defend.net is hilarious. I feel sorry for the guy. I'm Filipino, and I didn't feel that he was being overtly "racist" but definitely ignorant. Xenophobic? Maybe. More like Xeno-centric.

It's sad he had to drag his business into this and tarnish potential sales. I'd never buy from him. Who wants an ignorant blade smith? Who wants a childish blade smith? Who wants a blade smith that claims he doesn't even know how to fight with his own blades?

I don't.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't read that far but those were true statements, although it is probably only the poor they apply to, save for the rice part.
sean

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said on FMAT:

Good Lord. I didn't realize the company was Tribal Edge.

Ian has stepped on his manhood and shot himself in the foot, but it should in no way be taken as a reflection on Chuck and Mushtaq. They are two of my dearest friends and absolute demons when it comes to any sort of prejudice and bigotry.

There's no doubt at all that the situation will be "rectified". "Rectified" like the Fist of an Angry G-d.

Latest Discussions