Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
A Forlorn Situation
By 47MartialMan - Thu, 01 May 2008 00:26:48 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

A Forlorn Situation

Yesterday, I and a cohort were discussing martial arts. I rarely discuss martial arts at the work place, from past experiences, opinions are strong and like politics, emotions can incite many arguments. However, with speaking in terms of fighting, these arguments can become physical.

Anyway, this colleague told me of a man he came across, whom had practiced “Iron Shirt Kung Fu”, and was real good at it. Ever the skeptic and curious, I had asked him; “How can you tell if he is good?” He had said “Because he allowed me to punch him as hard as I could in his abs/stomach”.

He had noticed my visage expression as he had also said “Honest – this guy took my best shot as hard as I could”. I had inquired, per a demonstration, on how his strike was done. Looking upon it, I gave comment on how his strike lacked power that he could have used. I had also known that he had studied Shotokan for a few years. His demonstration of his strike / punch did not include such manner of power that should have been generated. I guess he did not want to hear any more of my comments, as he had invited me to go with him and visit this “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master”. I was reluctant to go with him to the “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master”, but because he wanted to actually study and sign up, I went.

Arriving there after work, I took observation of many things. The name of his school, per style read Shaolin _____ Ryu, and with it, he had a design of the Yin / Yang. This is odd because he had mixed a Chinese term with an Okinawa/Japanese one. And the yin/yang symbol is a Taoist one, which is not Shaolin, of Buddhist influence. (Which the symbol for many of those sects was the swastika - but other Indian sects had used it also)

He also had a Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and Ninja poster, all framed and neatly hung. He had mixed Chinese terms with Korean and Japanese, and incorrectly aligned their meanings I guess in an attempt to demonstrate lingual ability and perhaps more martial art knowledge. After my observations and brief discussion on other martial art subjects, my cohort suggested that he allow me to strike / punch.

I was pendulous, but after their persistence, along with my desire of scrutiny, I agreed. The “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master” gave me instructions, and after his “preparation”, I was only allowed to strike the torso of the chest and stomach area(s). After be given the instruction to strike, I had delivered a vertical punch, with my right hand, to his chest, where his sternum met the stomach. He discharged a huge breath of air, and then collapsed in agony to the floor. He was gasping for air in the likeness of a fish out of water. I gave him instructions on how to regain his composure.

After his recovery, he and my colleague stated that I had performed my strike incorrectly. That the situation “wasn’t supposed to happen that way”. I was also informed, that I “struck too hard”. Other comments were; “I was far better trained”, and “my Chi had cause my strike to overcome his focus”.
Given the fact, that I used my right hand, which is not as strong as my left hand. That I did not use my total power force, as I did not apply my waist/hips/and other body momentum. Given that all I had done was from a relaxed stance, extended my arm/fist to the target. Hmmnnn…..

After all of this, my cohort, in a surreptitious manner, had still signed up and started to study from this “Iron Shirt Kung Fu Master”.

Any thoughts?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions