FMA MCDOJO now i have seen it all

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by moromoro
good reply dr B

This is not true in the FMA....

most FMA GM are very bad teachers in the sense of the word... some have absolutely no stucture.... but they have had real life experience in battle... even the people who taught them (those who had instructors) where also equally bad at teaching.....
Tatang Ilustrisimo was a bad teacher but a bloody good fighter, the same goes for Gm Abrian and GM Navarro..

you see because in the philippines with some styles of eskrima, teaching ability is not a required some GM's dont care about the way they teach or the amount of students they have (less is best for some) they just care about passing on their proven methods of fighting.......

thanks

terry

Thanks Terry. This is a real important point to recognize - teaching is an art and not everyone is trained or has a facility for it in spite of life experiences. Social, political and cultural needs also effect how things get done in one society vs. another.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by bloodwood
People put out questions about this promotion board that should be answered by DrB but instead norshadow answers.

VERY INTERESTING!!!

Not nearly as interesting as your lack of answers to the very plain question that DocB put to you about your comments on another thread. I talk with DocB at least once a week, so I do have some ideas about what he's thinking and planning. His final posted plan was not exactly what we discussed, but close enough.

Lamont

B

bloodwood

That post is almost a month old. This is how DrB answered my question in case you hadn't noticed. Maybe you should pay more attention when you talk to him once a week. DrB has already answered my question, and his answer was just fine with me.

Because Norshadow answered some questions does not mean that he answered them correctly. He is speculating as are most of you. I will answer the promotions questions in due time. I am looking at ALL of your posts and there have been several good ideas that will try incorperate.

OK, as far as the unanswered question, I can understand your support for Jerome, however bringing up an old Very Controversial thread was not the best way to do so. Some things are better off left to fade away. I admire your loyalty for your friend, I just disagree on this occasion. You have a habit of bringing up old stuff, Let it Go already.

bloodwood

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
John J

Posted on the 3rd page of this thread

This is a no-win situation. To find someone higher than 6th degree in Modern Arnis one pretty much has to go to the Phil. But back there the form of Modern Arnis they're doing is at the least a different 'dialect' and nearly qualifies as a different art--the Prof. changed it so much here in the U.S. So, looking within the art is tough--esp. when you consider that Mr. Hartman is one of the datus of the art, which was supposed to be a sign of leadership within the art that was in some sense 'beyond' rank.
Posted by John J

We all win or better yet learn from the contributions. Let me state my points again. I said that peers (of equal level) along with seniors are the only individual's that are qualified to make the assessment. Now, would I be correct to use the analogy of the JKD community wherein there is original JKD and JKD Concepts? In other words, the evolution of present day MA is a result of the many influences and resources availble to Remy? If this is the case, then yes...the players back home, peers or seniors would not count.

Please clarify what your intentions. Are you saying that the Masters in the Philippines, such as Roberto Presas 10th Dan, Cristino Vasquez 9th Dan, Vicente Sanchez 8th Dan "do not count" as credible sources to promote the late GM Remy Presas' students in the U.S. or other countries for that matter.

I'm sure that you couldn't possibly be implying what your thread suggests.

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is this Alfredo or Ritchie Acosta? I think you may have misquoted me. The first quote you copied was a post made by Arnisador.

Now, the 2nd quote was my reply which is based on the contributions of the MA players on this forum and general knowledge. It is my understanding that the late Professors art evolved significantly when he came to the States. Elements from many other traditional arts were incorporated into his curriculum. This evolution is what makes the present form of MA taught in the U.S. different from how it was originally taught back home.

Therefore, my belief and logic is that these senior disciples back home may not be qualified due to possibly the lack of knowledge of MA as taught today in the U.S. So, as you can see, I am not implying anything nor have any intentions.

Hope this clears up what you seem to suggest.

Yours in the Arts,

John J
www.swacom.com

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is Rich Acosta. Thank you for your reply.

I put Arnisador's comment in quotes to seperate his post from yours, because I thought it was relevant to what we are discussing.

It is my understanding that the late Professors art evolved significantly when he came to the States. Elements from many other traditional arts were incorporated into his curriculum. This evolution is what makes the present form of MA taught in the U.S. different from how it was originally taught back home.

Therefore, my belief and logic is that these senior disciples back home may not be qualified due to possibly the lack of knowledge of MA as taught today in the U.S. So, as you can see, I am not implying anything nor have any intentions

I understand your logic. But this is a misunderstanding that I hope is not widespread, especially in the Modern Arnis community.

Just FYI many Masters in the P.I. are just as knowledgable in the "new" innovovations that GM Remy added to his original expression of Modern Arnis, such as Master Samuel "Bambit" Dulay 7th Dan. They were taught directly by GM Remy during his trips back to the PI before his death, so that no one could question their credibility.

There may be many different representations of the late GM Remy's art, but those individuals who were given rank directly under GM Remy are all inextricably bound to each other as his disciples and students in "his" art; Remy Presas' Modern Arnis.

Therefore logically, in my opinion, the Senior Masters in the P.I. are the most qualified individuals that can award official promotions in GM Remy's Modern Arnis. Especially 6th Dan or higher.

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
kamusta Rich,

you wrote> Just FYI many Masters in the P.I. are just as knowledgable in the "new" innovovations that GM Remy added to his original expression of Modern Arnis, such as Master Samuel "Bambit" Dulay 7th Dan.

If you refer to all my posts, they were only in support of those equal to or senior to that I felt would be qualified to promote. The reason I deferred from this thought was because I was not aware of this news. If this is true then I totally agree.

Please note that I am not a MA practitioner and only view my opinions from general knowledge and information provided by MA players.

ingat,
John J
www.swacom.com

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Please note that I am not a MA practitioner and only view my opinions from general knowledge and information provided by MA players.

That is exactly the reason why I chose to drudge up this old post. I felt that the MA practitioners that were posting did not shed a positive light on the state of Modern Arnis in the Philippines. I invite you to visit imafp.com as I do not claim to be an expert on the MA current events in the P.I.

Grandmaster Remy promoted his original students and Senior Masters in the P.I. before his death for a very good reason, and everyone in the Modern Arnis community in the U.S. and abroad should respect his wishes and intentions.

The Senior Masters of Modern Arnis, and GM Remy's relatives in the P.I. only wish to contribute to the unity of all Filipino martial artists, Modern Arnis practitioners in particular. It is up to the different factions and organizations abroad to accept their extended hand of friendship and support.

Isang Modern Arnis. Mabuhay sa lahat!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since this old thread has been pulled out....I want to ask this delicately, I have no motive other than plain old curiosity. Did this "meeting" ever happen? Please feel free to not answer or PM me if you want to avoid the topic. As it was very "public" to begin with I hope the question dosent offend. I dont recall there being any other mention of it other than here....

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Since this old thread has been pulled out....I want to ask this delicately, I have no motive other than plain old curiosity. Did this "meeting" ever happen? Please feel free to not answer or PM me if you want to avoid the topic. As it was very "public" to begin with I hope the question dosent offend. I dont recall there being any other mention of it other than here....

lol...no, not yet. :rofl:

Datu Tim hasn't gone to the PI yet, but I believe he has a trip scheduled this spring.

I doubt this will ever go down, though. Although I know that Tim would meet with someone if it came down to it, but most virtual tough guys are all show and no go. Plus, in the martial arts fantasy world, there often is a lot of talk about dueling, yet oddly enough, it rarely goes down in the real world.

I can't say that I don't get a laugh out of the drama though...:)

Paul

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thnx...I dont mean to tiptoe around the question,but with the "history" around here I couldnt think of a better way to satisfy my curisoity with people who actually "know" anything....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kruzada said:
This is Rich Acosta. Thank you for your reply.

I put Arnisador's comment in quotes to seperate his post from yours, because I thought it was relevant to what we are discussing.

I understand your logic. But this is a misunderstanding that I hope is not widespread, especially in the Modern Arnis community.

Just FYI many Masters in the P.I. are just as knowledgable in the "new" innovovations that GM Remy added to his original expression of Modern Arnis, such as Master Samuel "Bambit" Dulay 7th Dan. They were taught directly by GM Remy during his trips back to the PI before his death, so that no one could question their credibility.

There may be many different representations of the late GM Remy's art, but those individuals who were given rank directly under GM Remy are all inextricably bound to each other as his disciples and students in "his" art; Remy Presas' Modern Arnis.

Therefore logically, in my opinion, the Senior Masters in the P.I. are the most qualified individuals that can award official promotions in GM Remy's Modern Arnis. Especially 6th Dan or higher.

Rich,

While, I agree that those in the PI most likely have a lot to offer, this does not mean that those hear in the states do not either. It is not an exclusive situation here. I know that was not your intention, just clarifying for myself.

I have not trained with those from the PI in Modern Arnis other than Remy himself. Therefore, I do not know personally what they have and do not have. Yet, I am willing to state that if they trained and learned, then then have something to offer.

I personally believe there are more than one way to get to the destination of understanding stick fighting. Some take this, path while others take that path, and still others wonder or journey another path completely different.

I say train with who you can, and always be open to training with others.

Peace
:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:

I believe Moro-Moro was kicked off or asked to leave numerous forums. He ended up revealing that he was a young man in his late teens early twenties, that wanted to generate a desire for people to come to a tournament.

So, given this information, I personally do not think he would show up to meet anyone unless he had lots of rules and people to enforce them.

Just my opinion of the situation.
:asian:

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While, I agree that those in the PI most likely have a lot to offer, this does not mean that those hear in the states do not either. It is not an exclusive situation here. I know that was not your intention, just clarifying for myself.

I have the utmost respect for all practitioners of Modern Arnis who are propagating the art. Anyone that was promoted by GM Remy deserves the respect that comes with the rank/title awarded him/her regardless of his/her country of origin.

We are all doing our part to fulfill GM Remy's dream to spread Modern Arnis throughout the world. However, while in the course of our individual missions to help make this dream a reality, we should not forget that we are still all one family in Modern Arnis.

Whether you are in the Philippines, U.S., Germany, Switzerland, Hong Kong or elsewhere, we are all brothers in the art that GM Remy left us. As brothers in Modern Arnis we should all try to understand, respect, and support each other. After all that is what being a family is all about.

Perhaps one day all of the leaders of the different Modern Arnis organizations throughout the world will have an opportunity to come together in the spirit of comraderie and friendship.

Mabuhay ang Modern Arnis!

Latest Discussions