FMA MCDOJO now i have seen it all

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd expect you to have a thicker skin than that.

Not on a week I'm off.
Especially after a long night.
:drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer

not the best time for such an image.

Chad

R

Rocky

not so sure who's panties are in a bunch over the issue, but rank is not really important to me.

The panties I am talking about Paul are all the people that don't even have anything to do with Tim or his organization. Its like they got nothing better to do. He is doing his thing doing a pretty good job of it and maybe they don't like that, if the truth be known. Any ways it just seems more energy should be spent doing other things, instead of worring about what tim is doing, in his organization, or Dan or who ever. Like I said its just rank he is still the same Tim. If he was making claimes he is the best fighter Remy ever produced or has more training than anyone else ever had with Remy then I would have some issues, But all he is doing is trying to run a well organized organization, and continuing the art taught to him by the Professor.

Rocky

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rocky
If he was making claimes he is the best fighter Remy ever produced or has more training than anyone else ever had with Remy then I would have some issues

You mean I'm not? Doh! :eek: :waah:

R

Rocky

You mean I'm not? Doh!

Well in all honesty I'd have to say you are pretty high up the ladder. Now if he had a belt for the highest ranked goofball, or mentally irregular student, you would probably be at least a 9th degree blackbelt.

Of course I have heard you look really nice in your pink lace belt!!! It goes great with your eyes.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man I crack myself up!!

Rocky

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rocky
Well in all honesty I'd have to say you are pretty high up the ladder. Now if he had a belt for the highest ranked goofball, or mentally irregular student, you would probably be at least a 9th degree blackbelt.

Of course I have heard you look really nice in your pink lace belt!!! It goes great with your eyes.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man I crack myself up!!

Rocky
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
M

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
know that I am not impressed by paper, not even my own. It is a matter of skill and teaching ability. That's why the "Senior Master" designation that I earned at the GOE2 is more valuble to me than any of the numerical ranks that I own.

a thrid degree only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!! i thought by the way you talk in the forum that you are one of the highest ranking practitioners in MA in the US.......................

know that I am not impressed by paper, not even my own.

this i agree with this........................but if you TRAIN in arts with this type of ranking structure your comments could lead people to think that this is your excuse for only having a low RANK........

It is a matter of skill and teaching ability.

iam sorry i disagree its not a matter of teaching ability and it never was (eskrima) it has ALWAYS BEEN A MATTER OF FIGHTING ABILITY.............But i have been told that MA is different more a self defence type of system so yes teaching ability could be a factor

and your teaching ability is probably second only to the prof because of your teaching background..........

your right its not about the paper its all about the skill/fight

thanks

Terry

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by moromoro
a thrid degree only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!! i thought by the way you talk in the forum that you are one of the highest ranking practitioners in MA in the US.......................

this i agree with this........................but if you TRAIN in arts with this type of ranking structure your comments could lead people to think that this is your excuse for only having a low RANK........

iam sorry i disagree its not a matter of teaching ability and it never was (eskrima) it has ALWAYS BEEN A MATTER OF FIGHTING ABILITY.............But i have been told that MA is different more a self defence type of system so yes teaching ability could be a factor

and your teaching ability is probably second only to the prof because of your teaching background..........

your right its not about the paper its all about the skill/fight

thanks

Terry

OK Terry,

Let's take you comments point by point.

1. I NEVER claimed any high ranking positions or places in Modern Arnis. Third is fine with me. I want to see skill not paper and some of the "High ranking " people in the art have avoiding coming to the Symposium... their call not mine. If those people
and I were to go on the floor together the rank would be as insignificant as it would be in a combative confrontation.... show me skill not your paper.

2. I do not train for rank nor do I train my students to get rank. It does not bother me to have a third in Modern Arnis. It still costs me the same amount of money to buy a cup of coffee as it does you if we both go to the same store. If people want to
train for and insist on having rank, that is their decision.

There will be no excuses offered by me for having a third degre. That is what I earned before stopped training with Professor , so that is all there is or will be in Modern Arnis - But did my training and skill developement stop? Not at all!!

3. Disagree all you wish and there is no need to be sorry about it.
The USA and the Philippines are very different cultures and there are very different needs in some parts of those cultures. Training for fighting as a sport is quite different from training for self defense in this culture.

The latter by formal legal structutres in the USA means that it is very likely that you have to explain what you did and why you did it in an adversal situation known as crimainal court. And you have better hire the very best lawyer that you can to keep you out of jail.

Duelling was outlawed in the early 1800's here in the USA, but that only occured a couple of decades back in the Philippines. There is no straight line compasision between the two cultures in terms of fighting. You will do what you have to in RP and I will do what I have to here in the USA. No right, no wrong, just the reality of different times, different places and different needs.

4. Second only to Professor? Ok, if you say so, but that has never been my contention or ambition. We each have our own styles and while I admire his approach and understand the foundations that suport it, I have gone about teaching the art from my own perspectives. He was a fantastic teacher.

5. Yes it is all about skills and we need both teaching and fighting skills. Where would any of us be if it were not for teachers? Are all of the best fighters great teachers or even adquate at teaching? I went with my strength - teaching, and in the process added to my fighting skills. Others put fighting first, that is what works for them, based on what their life needs are.

I can respect your point of view without having to agree with you on every point. I see things in cultural contexts and if I were to move to the Philippines I would have to change some of my beliefs and attitudes. These changes would move me closer to you points of view out of necessity.

The reason why Professor approved and suported my college training program was because he saw it in the context of America AND because it put a premium on the art and beauty of Arnis.

The fact that I included a very strong self defense component, based on the needs of Americans in general and New York State residents in particular showed him that I could be flexible and adaptive with his art. Now a segment of that art was mine. But I have never forgotten nor tried to hide my association with and indebtedness to him. Yes we parted company. formally, organizationally, but we still talked from time to time.

Third degree is fine. I earned it and at that time, that is all I should have had. Third degree is neither an insult nor a virtue, it simply is what it is and others have more... so what?

Jrome Barber, Ed.D.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
1. (A) a third degree only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!! (B) i thought by the way you talk in the forum that you are one of the highest ranking practitioners in MA in the US.......................(C)

2. this i agree with this........................but if you TRAIN in arts with this type of ranking structure your comments could lead people to think that this is your excuse for only having a low RANK........

3. i am sorry i disagree its not a matter of teaching ability and it never was (eskrima) it has ALWAYS BEEN A MATTER OF FIGHTING ABILITY

Terry

Terry,

1. (A) So? (B) What do you care? You have said again and again you don't believe in rank in FMA, anyway. (C) Ranking has nothing do with how articulate you are or if you have studied the intricacies of any art.

2. No. Only if one puts it there to be looked at like that in the first place.

3. Who teachers the fighters to have fighting ability? The teacher. One doesn't gain fighting ability from dreams of fighting gods giving blessings or watching Matrix and Matrix Reloaded or Harry Potter. The teacher does that. A person has certain attributes to begin with but it's the teacher who teaches the skills.

That's all folks,
Dan Anderson

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heh heh eh...no.

Ok, ECW then. :) sinawali with metal folding chairs. and flaming tables. :D

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
heh heh eh...no.

Ok, ECW then. :) sinawali with metal folding chairs. and flaming tables. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

By the way, the World Wildlife Fund is the group that forced the WWF to switch its name to the WWE. They filed a lawsuit against Vince McMahon and Company and prevailed.

Sinawail with metal folding chairs ?? Wow, what an innovation of a Modern Arnis concept !!

:cool:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know the purists will complain, but it can be done.

Just need good arm strength. :)

Was thinking....Mick Foley. If that boy did FMA.... the Dog Bros would go 'man, thats nuts'. :)

OP
M

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
good reply dr B

Who teachers the fighters to have fighting ability? The teacher.

This is not true in the FMA....

most FMA GM are very bad teachers in the sense of the word... some have absolutely no stucture.... but they have had real life experience in battle... even the people who taught them (those who had instructors) where also equally bad at teaching.....
Tatang Ilustrisimo was a bad teacher but a bloody good fighter, the same goes for Gm Abrian and GM Navarro..

you see because in the philippines with some styles of eskrima, teaching ability is not a required some GM's dont care about the way they teach or the amount of students they have (less is best for some) they just care about passing on their proven methods of fighting.......

thanks

terry

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Terry,

Whether one is talking about teaching in the western sense where everything is broken down into a step by step curriculum or where you have a fighter saying, "If you can stick with me you'll get it eventually." you still have a teacher. Otherwise you go theorgh the learning process of getting the crap beat out of you until you quit or get it right.

Actually, I have taught both ways. My earliest schools never graduated beyond clubs where 10 paying students was an affluent month. I was in training at the time so I needed people to beat on. The ones who remained got tough. Not many stayed. Now I teach at a school where I teach for the needs of the students and not my own. It is larger and it is a school, not a club. Over and out.

Yours,
Dan

Latest Discussions