FMA MCDOJO now i have seen it all

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Renegade
No, I think it was because he passed away before he had a chance to do so. Based on how things were going at the time there was a good chance that I would have been the 1st outside the P.I. promoted to that level.

Please let me remind everyone that Guro Douglas Pierre is an American and he was awarded an 8th degree by Professor. The Presas' Remy Jr., Marty Ann and Demetrio, have seen the certificate and can vouch for it's validity.

Not taking anything away from you, Tim, but this is all speculation on your part and the fact that Douglas was promoted makes your point moot . You are talking 7th and Douglas is already an 8th.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Rocky
What happen to Robert Demott???

Well he probably relizes now that his skill's as an Arnis instructor are no where's near what he once thought they were, Hopefully. He played the political game with Remy and lost. He had a few very successful schools and was one of the first people to bring Remy in to do seminars, not just in Michigan but in the U.S back in the 70's when I first met Remy. I believe Robert may be Jim ( me soooo old ) Power's first instructor, Jim???? however Jim has long passed Robert's ability, as has Tim Hartman. ( unless Robert has been doing some serious training I don't know about, but he was a TKD guy mostly )

I believe the debate between Tim or Dan getting the next 7th (active) is really a waste of time!!! The truth is probablly more like which ever one didn't piss Remy off for some reason would have probably gotten it first :rofl:

Just think if I wouldn't of pissed Remy off I could be in the middle of all this termoil.:rofl: I was promoted to 5th back in 1988 or 89, man you guys get all the fun.

Paul please don't put so much stock into certifacates , Remy promoted many, many, people without certicates!!!!. I think this may have been a tool to use against them later if they pissed him off. I personally do not have a 3rd degree blackbelt certificate, all I have is a picture of his signature on my hand that said Rocky, Lakan Tatlo with Remy's signature. And the testing was done while flying from Norway to Germany in 1985. In fact I have never tested in the traditional fashion in front of Remy since then. And since you train with Manong Ted just ask him how Remy really felt about my ability. Remy use to love to watch me and Ted training back in the early to mid 80's, it reminded him of home and his younger days. Except Remy could never get Abcedario down, I tried a dozen time to show it to him, I know that alot of the new stuff he taught you guys in the last 10 years though came from watch some of the teaching stucture Manong Ted had. See I am about to let you in on another little secret, SSHHH don't tell anyone, Remy was pre Abcedario when training wit hGreat Grand Master Bacon, so he didn't know Abcedario. Now remember don't tell anyone;)

Rocky

Point well stated Rocky and this is why I have not made the rankings that someone has an issue for the Symposium. It also points to why a Testing Board at the Symposium could be benifical. Some people have been caught in the political buzz-saw of "Modern Arnis Politics" as instigated by Professor, for his own reasons.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB
Please let me remind everyone that Guro Douglas Pierre is an American and he was awarded an 8th degree by Professor. The Presas' Remy Jr., Marty Ann and Demetrio, have seen the certificate and can vouch for it's validity.

Not taking anything away from you, Tim, but this is all speculation on your part and the fact that Douglas was promoted makes your point moot . You are talking 7th and Douglas is already an 8th.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Wow. All kinds of promotions are coming out of the woodwork now.

When did this happend?

R

Rocky

Look, for those that seem to have their panties in a bunch with Tim's rank or his promotion, let me ask you this? Do you train with him? Do you think he is any better or worse sice the promotion, don't you realize that for the most part anything over 4th in most arts is honorary, its more about understanding how to pass on techniques to other, its about ones ability or work in spreading an art and opening doors to new potential FMA practioners, helping others to understand this little slice of Filipino culture, we are lucky to have. Some of you guys act like now that he is a 7th degree that he now must be invincable, far superior to any other practioner. If rank intimidates you that much I would hate to see what would happen to you if you were confronted by an old time fighter!!! Damn I hope you are wearing your depends!!

If you have a brain that is anything bigger than a BB in a boxcar, then you know that you train with someone for their teaching abilities not their rank, and Tim has always, even when he was a brown belt had good people skills and the ability to pass things on to others.

Rocky

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
don't you realize that for the most part anything over 4th in most arts is honorary, its more about understanding how to pass on techniques to other, its about ones ability or work in spreading an art and opening doors to new potential FMA practioners, helping others to understand this little slice of Filipino culture, we are lucky to have.

Wow. Very insightful Rocky, but you may be in trouble for introducing some reason to the thread.

If you have a brain that is anything bigger than a BB in a boxcar, then you know that you train with someone for their teaching abilities not their rank, and Tim has always, even when he was a brown belt had good people skills and the ability to pass things on to others.

Essentially the reason I came on board with the WMAA. Tim's rank is of no concern to me; the fact that he can structure an organization that provides a good growth environment for the art is.
Chad

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
Standard testing at the camps, when Professor was alive and heading up the program, consisted of demonstrating the various components of the system as asked for. Also note that, especially with higher level students, Professor's evaluation was based on observation throughout the camp... Could you teach? Did you get on the mat and get involved? were you too good to adopt a first-timer, or would you take responsibility for ensuring that a beginner had a positive experience and left the camp a better martial artist. How did you do when Professor pulled you aside to "play" for a few minutes; how did you do as an uke.
What people seem to forget is that RP had a gift for knowing and remebering his various students, and not much that went on on the floor missed his attention, whether he showed it or not.
Chad

Terry,

Chad's description of testing is pretty accurate from all the boards I was on.

Dan

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB
Please let me remind everyone that Guro Douglas Pierre is an American and he was awarded an 8th degree by Professor.
Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Damn! You learn something new every day! Tim, Kelly and I will have to learn to live with competing for the highest ranked white boy in Modern Arnis.

Yours,
The Portland Ghost

PS - Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist...ahhhh, to hell with it. Take offense if you want to. :D

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rocky
1. Look, for those that seem to have their panties in a bunch with Tim's rank or his promotion, let me ask you this?

2. Do you train with him?

3. Some of you guys act like now that he is a 7th degree that he now must be invincable, far superior to any other practioner.

4. If you have a brain that is anything bigger than a BB in a boxcar,

Rocky

Rocky,

1. I wear briefs, not panties!

2. Thank goodness, no!

3. Sorry, anybody who drinks Pepsi is not invincible to a Classic Coke man.

4. Rocky, watch what you say to us BB's. We take offense very easily.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Irritatedly yours,
Dan (calm under stress) Anderson

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
Damn! You learn something new every day! Tim, Kelly and I will have to learn to live with competing for the highest ranked white boy in Modern Arnis.

Yours,
The Portland Ghost

PS - Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist...ahhhh, to hell with it. Take offense if you want to. :D

isnt docB one of the highest ranking "white boys" in modern arnis too?:D

i know i know, i will stop being nosy!

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by thekuntawman

Kuntawman,

We all be white boys in the eyes of our detractors, y'all. :rofl:

Yours,
Still pale and wonderful,
Dan Anderson

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

He's a 3rd threw Remy.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of you guys act like now that he is a 7th degree that he now must be invincable, far superior to any other practioner.

All I have to say is....

Tim before 7th:

:karate:

And Tim after 7th:

:apv:

NUFF' SAID!!!!

See...who said rank didn't matter?
:p

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not so sure who's panties are in a bunch over the issue, but rank is not really important to me.

I just think that it is interesting all the people who are coming out of the woodwork with rank and designations that most people haven't heard of before.

The issue just stirs up a ton of questions, is all!

:cool:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now bite me you Bastard!
:toilclaw: :bird: :2xbird: :rtfm: :iws: :flushed: :boxing: :tank:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now bite me you Bastard!
:toilclaw: :bird: :2xbird: :rtfm: :iws: :flushed: :boxing: :tank:

Moderator alert!!!

Not only is Rene' (who I know for a fact to be male...or is a female with a very high testosterone level problem) propositioning another known male (the afforementioned Paul) to engage in a somewhat questionable and very immoral act but he is also questioning whether Paul's parents were actually married and is doing so in a highly offensive manner.

And I am certain that two of the smilies shown are not putting forth the concept that he thinks Paul is #1. Please tell this Renee' person to hold himself in check or else I demand that he be banned. Those of us with fragile sensibilities should not have this sort of vulgarity forced upon us.

Sensitively Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - Hey - 50 more posts and I get to be a Black Belt. Groovy.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
great images first thing in the morning after a long night.
thanks Dan. Now I'm offended.

D

DoctorB

It is really amusing to me as well! Oh well, the things that some people do write when hiding behind a keybaosrd and having no factual data to refer back to is always amusing.

Nice post, my Brother-man.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

D

DoctorB

He's a 3rd threw Remy.

And the point of that is? You know that I am not impressed by paper, not even my own. It is a matter of skill and teaching ability. That's why the "Senior Master" designation that I earned at the GOE2 is more valuble to me than any of the numerical ranks that I own.

When a board of 10 GMs reviews your work on the training floor and recommends the title, that is a significant accomplishment and recognition. On the other hand when I left the GOE2 awards dinner and got back to my room, the first question on my mind was how in the hell did GM Chun, Jr. make "Threading the Needle" work so well as a soft style defense? So much for being a senior master. Time to get to wiork on that idea and figure this one out. And I did... it's all in the rotations...

So when I put together the Symposium, I did not pay too much attention to ranks, Modern Arnis or any others. The true test for me is in the ability to do the art and make it "flow". That is where we can seperate those who can talk about the art in a meaningful way from those who can do the art as well as explain it in detail.

For me it is not about rank and paper, it is all about knowledge and execution. 3rd degree, yeah! 6th degree in two other arts? Yeah. And the point of all of that is...?

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Latest Discussions