Flow

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich, Yes thank you.

Palusut gave me the information, I asked him to stop by this thread and follow it up for me, it might clarify or muddy. I am not sure, either way, I would like his imput.

Regards, Gary

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry for attempting to put this thread back on track BUT, for me, the flow has several aspects:
1. continuity of motion
2. ability to read what your opponent/partner is set up for
3. ability not to freeze when you screw up or events take a turn for the worse.

A huge break through happened when I was at Frank Shekosky's place doing an extended version of the 6-count drill with Prof. Presas. RP showed a couple of added moves to the drill and the light bulb came on over my head. I spotted that there was a counter from any conceiveable position and from there my Modern Arnis made a quantum leap. All for now.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Is it OK if I field this one? IMHO, No. Drills and flow are not the complete picture. Drills can help you get there (depending on how you practice), but performing prearranged patterns of movements is "rudamentary flow". It teaches you to transition smoothly from on technique to another, but it is not "free form" (spontaneous) flow.

Tim
Amen Brother! Give and take drills, pre-set stimulus/response type things will act like 'lab practicals' or 'hands on practice' to help you internalize/create a personal understanding of flow (as a concept) it is the teaching tool that can help you 'get to flow'

The real kicker is that these drills that teach 'flow' for artistic and technical proficiency ALSO double as 'tactical response training' when you teach the same drill as a 'stimulus-response' as an applied defense against a certain angle/type of attack.

The drills are just drills, what you focus on as learning objectives that you want to get out of that drill is really what matters. For artistic and athletic development, 'flow drills' introduce students to 'flow concept' in an experiencial approach. For combative/defensive use, the 'flow drills' give you an individual 'immediate action' or 'trained automatic response' to keep you alive. Purpose drives the student/teacher's focus, but the drill doesn't have to change.

Latest Discussions