Florida requires drug testing for welfare starting July 1st.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And so it has begun.
I am sure lawsuits will be filed, and I am sure there will be screams from both ends of the spectrum in regards to this issue. Where do you stand?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/0...-requiring-drug-tests-for-welfare-recipients/

Under the law, which takes effect on July 1, the Florida Department of Children and Family Services will be required to conduct the drug tests on adults applying to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No thoughts on it as such as I don't know the system or the law.
I'd be curious to know however if parents were found to be drug users what would be done? children taken away, welfare given despite failing test? Can't say I'm bothered about the adults but I would be concerned that the children wouldn't receive any help.

OP
LuckyKBoxer

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No thoughts on it as such as I don't know the system or the law.
I'd be curious to know however if parents were found to be drug users what would be done? children taken away, welfare given despite failing test? Can't say I'm bothered about the adults but I would be concerned that the children wouldn't receive any help.

I don't know what would happen.
I would hope that the person would be denied welfare first.
Then depending on the drug would depend on the next step.
certain drugs like heroin I would have the kids removed immediately, drugs like Marijuana I would probably have the kids removed to a family members care until the person can retest drug free.... thats the problem though... what do you do in that case? I am not convinced that foster care is any better then a mild drug using parent, or an alcoholic parent, way to many horror stories there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I agree with the intent of this completely. Making welfare recipients pay for their tests themselves, though, just doesn't seem right to me.

I'd maybe make anyone who fails their test pay for the cost of the test, but for most people, that won't be an issue.

OP
LuckyKBoxer

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the intent of this completely. Making welfare recipients pay for their tests themselves, though, just doesn't seem right to me.

I'd maybe make anyone who fails their test pay for the cost of the test, but for most people, that won't be an issue.

i think its much better having them prepay for the test and then reimbursing them if they pass. If its the other way around they will never collect the money on failed tests.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Test anyone receiving government aid. Welfare, foodstamps, etc.

Don't want to test?

Don't use government aid.

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Don't want to test?

My thoughts exactly. Its about time something like this started. I work in one of the poorer areas of New York City so my perception may be a bit biased, but there is a lot of drug use by the people living in these housing developments. Not everyone, but a noticeable amount.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

Don't want to test?

Social Security? Medicare? Fire and Police services? Using government paid roads? Veteran's benefits? Student loans?

Or is it only one or two particular forms of government aid that we feel like crapping on? I wonder why that could be?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds good to me.:) I would suggest giving newbies a year before they are tested, but this generational PA has got to stop.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Social Security? Medicare? Fire and Police services? Using government paid roads? Veteran's benefits? Student loans?

Or is it only one or two particular forms of government aid that we feel like crapping on? I wonder why that could be?
Cuz all the dope heads are spending their welfare checks on meth.:)
Sean

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obviously fire and police services along with roads would be a ***** to enforce, VA benefits, Student loans, and the rest? Yeah, no illegal drug use should be allowed or condoned.
It could be because the criminal element tends to use the most illegal drugs.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We all use government services somewhere, most of us probably daily, as they are looking for illegal drugs, we should just test everyone, if found with something in their blood, charge them with possession.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hell, lets go a step further. In addition to drug testing before one can receive welfare benefits, recipients should also be made to preform community service and attend a training program to help them obtain some type of job skill. Lots of trash to pick up on the side of our roads. Being poor doesn't give someone the right to sit on their lazy asses all day watching Maury and smoking Newports.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i think its much better having them prepay for the test and then reimbursing them if they pass. If its the other way around they will never collect the money on failed tests.
I haven't seen anywhere that they are reimbursed for the cost of tests that they pass. If that's true, I'm okay with it. I believe that unilaterally making them pay for the test is contrary to the intent of a welfare program.

Social Security and Medicare aren't welfare programs. Nor are Fire and Police services, driving on roads or collecting VA Disability. Student loans are based on need as are Veterans Pensions, so I'd be okay requiring drug testing for those.

The distinction is simple and easily applied.

Hell, lets go a step further. In addition to drug testing before one can receive welfare benefits, recipients should also be made to preform community service and attend a training program to help them obtain some type of job skill. Lots of trash to pick up on the side of our roads. Being poor doesn't give someone the right to sit on their lazy asses all day watching Maury and smoking Newports.
These kinds of programs are implemented all the time, with mixed results. Some are very successful and some are not. But all require funding and in this budget climate your chances of putting together and funding a job skills course that's worth a damn are exactly nil.

Or are you suggesting that we round up people on welfare and putting them to work on something resembling a chain gang?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So a man divorces his wife, leaves her with a gang of kids, and you want her out on the street picking up trash before she gets any assistance? And you want to start her on regular drug testing. Its almost like its a crime to be left by your husband.:)
Sean

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't seen anywhere that they are reimbursed for the cost of tests that they pass. If that's true, I'm okay with it. I believe that unilaterally making them pay for the test is contrary to the intent of a welfare program.

It was in the article Lucky posted

The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify.

Latest Discussions