Flinching

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Scott Sonnon has a couple of programs that we incorporate into our training and they are the Fear Reactivity and the Shockability programs. They work well for getting people over the fear and being able to receive an attack.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is an excellent way to get over the fear of getting hit.
Martial arts are about contact......if you're flinching, you're not doing the right things.......if you still can't get over it....take up chess.
Chess without contact? You have obviously never won a game of Chess against me.:)
Sean

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Scott Sonnon has a couple of programs that we incorporate into our training and they are the Fear Reactivity and the Shockability programs. They work well for getting people over the fear and being able to receive an attack.

Actually, he doesn't sell those anymore.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Common guys, it's all about the pain. If the student is flinching it's because they know they are going to be hurt. The best thing to do is work with another student for awhile and when they start flinching and the first student has relaxed a bit, go back to him. If you have more than just 2 students this works a lot better. One of the first things my students learns is to always volunteer some one else to be demonstrated on when they ask a question about a technique. It took me awhile to catch on, but I did and now we all (meaning me) have fun when I show the students how a particular technique is supposed to work. But I do agree, the best way to learn technique, especially joints and pressure points is to have them applied to you. Until you do you won't fully appreciate how painful or ineffective they can really be.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Common guys, it's all about the pain. If the student is flinching it's because they know they are going to be hurt. The best thing to do is work with another student for awhile and when they start flinching and the first student has relaxed a bit, go back to him. If you have more than just 2 students this works a lot better. One of the first things my students learns is to always volunteer some one else to be demonstrated on when they ask a question about a technique. It took me awhile to catch on, but I did and now we all (meaning me) have fun when I show the students how a particular technique is supposed to work. But I do agree, the best way to learn technique, especially joints and pressure points is to have them applied to you. Until you do you won't fully appreciate how painful or ineffective they can really be.
No, its all about timing.
Sean

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK Sean, you lost me on that one? Could you please explain. Oh yeah, type slow cause I don't read fast. Thanks.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK Sean, you lost me on that one? Could you please explain. Oh yeah, type slow cause I don't read fast. Thanks.
Pain is just pain, your reaction and recovery time, so that your are functional from moment to moment, is timing. And thats what this is all about.:ultracool
Sean

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Common guys, it's all about the pain. If the student is flinching it's because they know they are going to be hurt. The best thing to do is work with another student for awhile and when they start flinching and the first student has relaxed a bit, go back to him.

I like this solution best. Some of my street savvy students wouldn't show any emotion if you were sawing off their fingers. Then at the other end I have some elementary kids who have a little more fear of pain. Everyone has to grow at their own pace, and will have different things they have to overcome. I would just have to explain to someone who wasn't growing in pain/fear tolerance at equal pace with the belt levels, that it could hold up any future promotions---which isn't necessarily bad, as long as they understand it.

But I do agree, the best way to learn technique, especially joints and pressure points is to have them applied to you. Until you do you won't fully appreciate how painful or ineffective they can really be.

I agree, too. Pain is the premier teacher. But how much pressure is applied and at what stage of training is very subjective. Sometimes, less is more. Remember, students come to us trusting us. Applying too much pain too soon can breach that trust, if we aren't careful. My rule of thumb is, lower belts get very little contact/pressure; those with obvious street creds coming in can take more, sooner, though. And as far as student-to-student contact, safety is always first. Don't want any Rambos huritng a fellow nooB. :cool:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure. I have a terrible time with locks and nerve strikes myself so...I don't really have an answer other than limiting the amount of stuff I do and having my partner take it really easy with me. :idunno:

To me, this is perfectly fine. If it takes very little pressure for a student to 'get it' (feel the pain, so remember the lesson), then why apply more? And having a good understanding with training partners is really important--and partly the responsibility of the head instructor (to set a culture of trust and safety). Students will develop more tolerance over time, at their own pace. Becoming a proficient MA is a marathon, not a sprint.