Fists shake at the end of my punches. Anyone?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I'm doing some basic training of punches in a horse stance after lifting weights and now my fists vibrate at the end of the punch and backfist. Has anyone else experienced after lifting weights. I'm assuming that my arms may be tired from the weights?

could it be I'm punching at an angle that is causing my punches to whip? does this happen because the angle is off? I tell ya. I hurt my shoulder early this week and now I got strange new punches. I guess I try again tomorrow before I lift weights to see if the same thing happens before the workout.

The only thing really new in my training are the weights.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my guess, and i am just guessing here...is that your muscles are just tired. my thinking is that there are several muscles involved in punching all with a specific firing pattern (or timing). when you lift weights and do reps, each time a group of fibers is stressed and tired and a new group of fibers does the next rep. in any action only a portion of the muscle is used. this is the reason why some advise doing multiple reps and sets. it allows all of the fibers to be called upon. so when the fibers are tired they do not want to fire and contract. this unwillingness to contract will change in a detrimental way the over all muscle firing pattern of a punch. incorrect timing would be like having an improper timing belt in your car. everything just goes out of wack.
you would also be using different ratios of strength between the muscles. not to mention in any action there are the large muscle groups but then there are also smaller stabilizing muscles. if the stabilizing muscles are tired well ...of course your arm is going to shake.
it is also possible that your weight lifting is somehow giving you a chemical dump of adrenaline, dopamine and endorphins and this can make your hands shake as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
id suggest you have just over loadED the CNS, I've been know to " vibrate" if I've over done it a bit,

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m guessing it’s fatigue and injury.

I suggest you do your strength training at the end of your training sessions. Work on the more technically precise things when you are more fresh. When you are worn out from lifting weights or whatever else, precision practice deteriorates.

Although that could be an argument to do it opposite as i advocate, that working the technical precision when fatigued is a good practice. Just be aware.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I suggest you do your strength training at the end of your training sessions. Work on the more technically precise things when you are more fresh. When you are worn out from lifting weights or whatever else, precision practice deteriorates.

Although that could be an argument to do it opposite as i advocate, that working the technical precision when fatigued is a good practice. Just be aware.
as" vibrating" is more associated with isometrics, id be more tempted to " blame" the horse stance than the weight training

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Just finished working out. It was muscle fatigue. I reverse the workout with the weight lifting at the end. That sucked too as my body wasn't able to lift as much when I'm fresh. I'll switch it around since I can manage the forms and intensity of the forms with more flexibility than trying to adjust the weight and reps. I just won't be able to go full power with my forms until my body gets used to the new workout routine.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished working out. It was muscle fatigue. I reverse the workout with the weight lifting at the end. That sucked too as my body wasn't able to lift as much when I'm fresh. I'll switch it around since I can manage the forms and intensity of the forms with more flexibility than trying to adjust the weight and reps. I just won't be able to go full power with my forms until my body gets used to the new workout routine.
Yeah that's why I always separate my weights and karate sessions on different days, would always try avoiding lifting on the day of karate, especially squats hehe, legs would tremble in horse stance! And doing martial arts training before weights may compromise your technique in lifting which is definitely a precursor to injury (unless it's very light weights and endurance based, but still possible to injure).

Things like running to me are fine to do after weights as it's not as technically based as martial arts training, but yeah see how you go, you may adjust. Even weights earlier in the day and MA later so you're much more recovered is a good option.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am wondering if it's simply muscle fatigue. Think about when you do push-ups to muscle failure. Before you hit failuer your arms start shaking because they are getting exhausted and your muscles start having issues maintaining stability because what energy is left is being actively focused in a specific direction, in the case of push-ups is obvious.

Edit... Ooops should have read the whole thread, you already figured that out lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I always separate my weights and karate sessions on different days, would always try avoiding lifting on the day of karate, especially squats hehe, legs would tremble in horse stance! And doing martial arts training before weights may compromise your technique in lifting which is definitely a precursor to injury (unless it's very light weights and endurance based, but still possible to injure).

Things like running to me are fine to do after weights as it's not as technically based as martial arts training, but yeah see how you go, you may adjust. Even weights earlier in the day and MA later so you're much more recovered is a good option.
there certainly a case for separating things out, but there is an equally good case for mixing things up and training your co ordination, cns to operate when already exhausted of much of its capability, as that is a very real possibility that may give benefit outside of the gym

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
there certainly a case for separating things out, but there is an equally good case for mixing things up and training your co ordination, cns to operate when already exhausted of much of its capability, as that is a very real possibility that may give benefit outside of the gym

Yeah true, depends on goals I guess. For optimising both weights and MA training I'd keep them separate, but yeah can be valuable to train when CNS is already exhausted (to an extent!)