First time using 14 oz gloves

Discussion in 'Boxing/Kickboxing' started by MA_Student, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MA_Student

MA_Student Black Belt

May I ask doesn't that slow you down for sparring not wearing the 16 but using heavier for sparring than you do for pads. For example if you wear your 16 for everything you get used to the weight when throwing hard punches for a consistent time but of you've got lower weight for pads then switch to big for sparring doesn't that throw you off more. Just a general question

2. Martial D

Martial D 3rd Black Belt

The closer that sparring simulates fighting, the better. I have no trouble looking at myself thanks.

3. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    So, just so we're clear on this... you're saying you do not object to your sparring partner doing their level best to break your bones, gouge out your eyes, fracture your larynx, etc?
    Personally, while I don't like a ruleset that's as restrictive as WTF sparring or point sparring, I'd prefer not to have bones broken. Or be killed.

4. MA_Student

MA_Student Black Belt

Yeah I bet you don't....why is it better are you a fighter do you compete in matches if not and it's just a hobby then who the hell cares. Majority of people train for fun and don't want some meathead hurting them just because of his ego and he wants to play being a fighter.

5. MA_Student

MA_Student Black Belt

Yep I mean sparring is not fighting. Sparring is training it's working your combinations against a moving target, it's working your defensive ability, it's working your cardio. It's not a fight that's why fights are called fights and sparring is called sparring

6. Headhunter

Headhunter Master of Arts

Honestly I don't think the bigger size will make barley any difference speed wise you say you usually use 12 and switch to 14 so that's 2 ounces difference that's less than a pound heavier. Even the difference between 10 and 16 is less than a pound. The heavier weight is to protect the training partner I reckon a lot of it is psychological you think because your wearing heavier gloves it's making a difference but you also said in sparring you didn't notice anything but in pads you did. In pads your thinking about it more but sparring you haven't got time to

7. Headhunter

Headhunter Master of Arts

I spent my entire fight career training with either 14 or sometimes 16 and fighting in either 8 or 10 and never had a single problem with it....go figure

8. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

The weights in gloves just refer to the padding. So depending on the glove brand they will be different actual weights. Now if you fight you use the organizers gloves which could be like anything.

So in general you can't get too attached to the weight of your own gloves. Youjust deal with it.

9. MA_Student

MA_Student Black Belt

image.jpg Just as a point of interest if anyone cares lol these are the gloves I just had a quick look and I think my 12s actually look bigger than these ones

10. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

We train in 16's 7's and 5's and the general consensus is the smaller the glove the more it sucks to get hit with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Martial D

Martial D 3rd Black Belt

It's a give take scenario. The harder you go the better youll get, but there is ya, more risk. It isn't like we go full kill mode, but we go hard, just shy of dog brothers I guess, we don't use weapons.

Now, I do realize this isn't for everbody, and I'm not hating on people not prepared to take risks in training, not one bit. I will however take issue with being called an @ss or having people attempt to brow beat me down because I don't train like they do.

12. Martial D

Martial D 3rd Black Belt

All it takes is a couple rounds of sparring with different gloves to realize this. Not sure Jobo laces ever.

13. jobo

jobo Senior Master

no I'm a bare knuckle guy, its more realistic and kinder to my opponent, I'm all heart

14. Martial D

Martial D 3rd Black Belt

Fair enough. Some of the toughest dudes I know have never put on gloves.

15. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Or stepped foot into a dojo, boxing gym, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DanT

DanT Black Belt

Bare knuckle for life.

17. Danny T

Danny T Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Padwork is about quickness, speed, and accuracy, heavy bag is about power. Different drills, different attribute development, different equipment.