First time using 14 oz gloves

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
So tonight my gloves strap completely snapped off so I figured I'd ask at the gym if they had some new ones to buy and they had some old stock ones they were selling cheap so I got a paid of sandee Muay Thai gloves 14 oz. normally I've used 12 oz all the time but hey they were half the price they usually would be so I went with it. The gloves are and the weight change was weird during rounds on the pads I didn't feel slower but arms got heavier quicker but during sparring I felt completely fine with them and was still landing good shots. I did notice not many people wear 14 at the gym I'm out some in 12 but I noticed a lot sparring in 10 oz which I've always heard is a big no no. Also one guy was about to spar me with bag gloves on. I simply refused to spar him until he put some decent sized gloves on. I would've asked the coach about it but he wasn't there tonight so it was one of the gyms top fighters taking the session.

Normally I've never really thought much about gloves but thought I'd ask around what people normally wear size wise

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wear 16,s for the same reason i dont put nails in the gloves.

It just seems kind of duchebaggy.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
10s or mma gloves. 10s if only striking.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Warm up and padwork I use 10 oz.
Heavy bag work bag gloves with speed drills and 14oz training gloves for power punching.
Sparring 16 oz.

Using bag gloves or 10oz fight gloves for sparring is being an ***.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always use 12-14 for everything I like using heavier as it gives you a better workout and if you ever fight you'll probably use smaller gloves so it'll feel better on you because you're so used to bigger ones. I've never believed they slow you down much

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You spar with 10z gloves.....as others have said that's a right jerk move
While I agree, it’s not a jerk move if that’s what’s expected in the club. That would be a serious douche thing on the head coach’s part if that’s the case, but not on the athletes’.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Using bag gloves or 10oz fight gloves for sparring is being an ***.

And if it's concentual? At our club everyone uses 10s. Just because you prefer pillow fighting doesn't make everyone that does not an ***.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
And if it's concentual? At our club everyone uses 10s. Just because you prefer pillow fighting doesn't make everyone that does not an ***.
That makes your whole club full of idiots then that's how serious injuries are caused and from what I've seen of you on here you're the type who probably goes 100% as well to prove his toughness

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can't stand comments like that that wearing bigger gloves is weak....the gloves are to protect your training partner it's nothing to do with your own toughness it's about not wanting to hurt people

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you keep the sparring controlled tens shouldn't be a problem. We sort of don't because it is a bit much to ask a guy who is one week from a fight and hasn't eaten to go easy. When all he wants to do is knock guys out and cry.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually did a work out this morning on my own bag just to try and break them in and get a feel for them and I like them it gives my arms a good workout and you feel like your hitting with more power. And their bigger so in sparring you can get more protection for defence

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't stand comments like that that wearing bigger gloves is weak....the gloves are to protect your training partner it's nothing to do with your own toughness it's about not wanting to hurt people
So it's ok to say people that prefer smaller gloves are @sses, but it bothers you that I call using oversize gloves 'pillowfighting'? LOL k.

Giant gloves are like using a shield, you cover wide and it still blocks everything. If you train yourself to move like that you are in for a surprise when the shield is gone.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pillow fighting...hahaha. We've heavyweight fighters who use 18 & 20's.

There is a difference in training fighters and training general members. I know several bad *** fighter gyms that it is all about fighting. They also miss or drop out of many of their fights due to injuries. They turn out a lot of good fighters but also have a huge turnover in their members due to their high injury rates.

You can call it pillow fighting, It's about protecting the fighters from sustaining damage that prevents them from training or making their fights. Pros don't fight they don't get a pay check. Coaches don't get their cut of the fighters purse. Everyone looses.

With the higher skilled fighters when doing technical sparring yes I admit they will use lighter gloves. When fight prep sparring bigger gloves.

General members especially lower levels heavier gloves because inevitably someone's ego gets the best of them, they get hit a few times frustration sets in and them start striking harder. Next thing they are going 90-100%. Then there those who use the lighter smaller gloves so they can be just a little bit quicker and sneak in between the others gloves making them feel superior.

Then for all to consider is concussion and CTE chronic traumatic encephalopathy which is bad even for those who understand & accept the consequences but for general members using smaller gloves to have an advantage sparring is being an ***.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is so, wearing heavier gloves protects your hands, it does nothing for the guy being punched, who is now being hit with punches that weight 10 Oz more, which considerable increases the kinetic energy of the punch

one of the credible defences of bare knuckles fighting is it causes less brain damage, as the fighter tends to break his hands up if he hits full power, so doesn't often

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is so, wearing heavier gloves protects your hands, it does nothing for the guy being punched, who is now being hit with punches that weight 10 Oz more, which considerable increases the kinetic energy of the punch

one of the credible defences of bare knuckles fighting is it causes less brain damage, as the fighter tends to break his hands up if he hits full power, so doesn't often
The heavier gloves have substantially more cushion to them, so while you are increasing mass, you’re negating it and then some through more impact force dissipation.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The heavier gloves have substantially more cushion to them, so while you are increasing mass, you’re negating it and then some through more impact force dissipation.
mean while the guy wearing them can punch considerable harder,for longer as there is little danger to his hand

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
mean while the guy wearing them can punch considerable harder,for longer as there is little danger to his hand
So would you rather mike tyson punch you in the face with say a 4 ounce glove or a 14 ounce a

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So would you rather mike tyson punch you in the face with say a 4 ounce glove or a 14 ounce a
i rather MT didn't punch me at all, not the glove will make any difference, as a general rule id sooner be punch bare nuckled than have,some one hit me wearing a a glove that weights as much as a medium sized hammer

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
So it's ok to say people that prefer smaller gloves are @sses, but it bothers you that I call using oversize gloves 'pillowfighting'? LOL k.

Giant gloves are like using a shield, you cover wide and it still blocks everything. If you train yourself to move like that you are in for a surprise when the shield is gone.
When you're putting your training partners at risk then yes 100% I don't care if my punches have less power in sparring because sparring isn't fighting Im looking to land the shots but not hurt them. If you're looking to hurt your partner then you need to look at yourself

Latest Discussions