First thing you wanted to learn

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol
This topics took me back and made me laugh at myself.
I wanted to learn to do a full side split. I had seen every Van Damme movie to date and I wanted to get into a split so I could hit those high kicks.
I never got to the full side split, but can easily kick head level and higher; add that to the fact I am 6'2" and I can kick headlevel to most anyone that I come across.

AoG

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
First thing I wanted to learn, ever? How to throw a punch...properly.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
the first thing i wanted to learn is how to beat the crap out of someone. of corse that was when i was a young white belt.

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
for me it was the kicks. I think it the most noticable aspect of martial arts - how to kick.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure the first thing was any jump spinning kick. After a while it was Koryo, the 1st BB form. My instructor had us all sit down each class (after we'd work on forms in our rank groups) & he'd call the groups up to demonstrate our forms. The BB's were always the most impressive (& it was a better form than the lower rank ones.) We were told that by the time we hit BB, we should only need to be shown the form once & be able to repeat it. After seeing it over & over for years, it was no problem to only be shown it once.:ultracool

Azzy

White Belt
Reaction score
Katana skills - but had to wait awhile. I also thought the katana was invincible then I met the wrong side of a Bo. :whip:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lisa said:
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn...

Me, I just wanted to learn how to NOT to be and act like a martial arts newbie and rookie scrub. I wanted to get experience and move beyond white belt rank so much, and as quickly as possible. Now years later I understand that the study of the MAs is infinite, and just when you think you're an experienced pro, something else new is introduced and must be learned and practiced. It never ends... :idunno:

thewhitemikevick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I first got into fight sports...it was boxing. I was introduced to boxing at a young age, and I couldn't wait to get into it. I'm not sure if you all consider boxing a martial art really, though. But I wasn't really introduced into the world of Martial Arts until a little later down the line. It was after seeing a Royce Gracie fight in the UFC that I discovered Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, and instantly thought it was an amazing, practical style of fighting. Now I'm seventeen, and I've been boxing in a league for 3-4 years now...and been going with my dad and uncle to the boxing gym REGULARLY for about 6 years. This past summer, I started going to a martial arts dojo where I attended BJJ classes twice a week. However, during the schoolyear, due to limited time in the day, I haven't been able to pursue my BJJ aspirations, so I haven't progressed any in rank, and not quite as much as I'd like to in skill. Last year I got expelled from my high school, and was forced to go to an arts school which I despised. But this year I see it as somewhat of a blessing in disguise. They offer Tae Kwon Do classes, and dance classes, and while I neither considered myself much of a TKD person or a Dance person, I saw it as a good opportunity to gain dexterity, flexibility, agility, and coordination. So I took them both this year, and so I'm currently an Orange Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and in being the only male Tae Kwon Do artist in the school who also takes Ballet, I'm moving a long quite well, and many of the Black Belts have taken the opportunity to help me with my progress and I really believe that I train a lot more than most of the other martial artists at my school do, and with the help from some very nice people, and some very incredible athletes, I'm coming closer and closer to my dreams. But of course I'm still a LONG way away. Infinity away. I'm a very basic fighter now. But I'm developing. And my style, and my skills are constantly evolving. But you see what I'm getting at...when you first acknowledge martial arts as a great hobby of yours, and you realize that you want to dedicate a portion of your life to it, it's a truly amazing thing. Run with it. When you have the hunger for it, the thirst for it, that's when you have all the potential in the world, so run with it as fast as you can. Because you never know when you'll run out of gas. I'm still in the hungry stages. And I hope I always stay hungry.

thewhitemikevick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lmao yep yep I hear that...I myself was just a stupid little ignorant kid "let me in the ring let me in the ring I can take him!!!" lol

kodo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a very young kid, the first thing I wanted to learn was how to make somebody's body do something huge while doing very little. (I mostly had my big brother in mind!!!)

subster

White Belt
Reaction score
I was hypnotized by the movements in kenpo while watching some clips. I just wanted to learn how to move like that and so far it has been quite tasty.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The first thing I wanted to learn was how to block. There are many ways to block a punch, kick, club, ect. I always thought it was cool when I see people block and counter. ares

Bubba Buck

White Belt
Reaction score
As embarrasing as it is now starting out in Ninjutsu I wanted to learn how to kill somebody swiftly and quietly. I was young!
icon_redface.gif

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really just wanted to learn all that I could that was physically and mentally possible in one class. I loved watching other people do their forms, I loved watching self defense, and then of course kicks and punches, etc.

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

For me, it was the One Inch Punch. Of course now I realise that it is just simply the Straight Lead in microsm, and that it is about short explosive power. Nevertheless, for some reason or another, I am still fascinated with this technique and want to be good in delivering it.

Latest Discussions