first thing you learned

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never used a horse stance nor a rising block in a physical confrontation, of which there have been too many to count.
One of our instructors used a rising block when he was at work. A metal beam fell on him and he used the rising block instinctively to stop it hitting him on the head. Worked.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Breakfalls, shrimping drills, how to open someone's closed guard. I also learned that pressure is not actually a submission, even though I tapped to it several times.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 1st day of the "combat Shuai Chiao" training.

Your opponent

- punches at your head, you kick his belly.
- front kicks at you chest, you block his kick, jam his leading arm, and punch his face.
- roundhouse kicks at your body, you catch his kicking leg, hook his standing leg, and take him down.
- shoots at your leg, you press on the back of his neck and take him down.

Those are the most general problems that everybody will have to deal with. It should be addressed on day one.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a bunch of formal things I didn't pay any attention to at all, since I was 8 years old, I was taught the best thing that you can ever do to protect yourself from "a bad person" is get out of the way. It stuck, and it's literally been with me since then and it really is one of my core things, even in groundwork. The opponent want sto "come at you" to do whatever, just don't be where he thought you were going to be.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But... I have it from a very credible source that You Can't Fix Stupid.

I mean, Ron White is credible, right.

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
The first thing I learned was how to fail; how to take a beating and how to fall down. I didn't learn that in class though; to be honest, I have hardly any "formal" martial arts training at all, but I'd like to acquire some more.

When I was a little boy, I attended approximately five weeks of Taekwondo. I was possibly around eight years old or so...I'm somewhat of an amnesiac though, so I can't remember exactly; just little fragments that I've been gaining more access to through meditation and self-hypnosis.

When I was approximately twelve years old, my father had hired one of his employees to teach my sister and I the art of Hapkido. That went on for quite a while, possibly a year or so; maybe less.

...I disappeared when I was twelve, and I found myself in a desert thousands of miles away from home. I don't really want to talk about all that happened, but that was the period that I feel my real Martial Training began, and the first thing I learned was how to fail/fall, then get back up, and endure; how to survive mentally when you are truly helpless. I didn't start learning how to start fighting back until I was around fifteen years old...I was still in the desert, and unbeknownst to me my parents had a rescue plan in the works, but as far as I was concerned, "home" was just a fairy tale place that I had to let go of; I'd accepted that chances are I was just going to die and nobody would ever know what happened. I met a Marine one day though, and he took pity on me and began taking me aside in the night to teach me how to defend myself. Going for the groin and eyes and throat; grabbing hunks of clothing and throwing people or bull-charging them straight through a wall...there wasn't really anything "artistic" about what he taught me to do, and he didn't really teach me all that much; just enough to get by...enough to give myself the confidence to start teaching myself new things. My parents rescued me when I was seventeen.

Later on in my seventeenth year I began learning Krav Maga from DVDs and Books and I attended a small local sect of Shaolin Kempo Karate for a few weeks or so before I decided to stick with Krav Maga. Now I'm trying to pursue Shinobi-no-Jutsu, and I'd like to relocate to Japan to learn at the Katori Shinto Ryu school. I've pretty much mastered Krav Maga; just a few more advanced moves that I haven't had a chance to train in yet because I don't have a crush mat and chances are the move would probably kill the sparring partner without a big soft crush mat under him haha. XD

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The first lesson I learned was when I was stolen by dingoes while my parents were on a trip to uluru. This taught me to be aware of my surroundings at all times. My mother Lindy was blamed and had to fight a massive court battle to clear her name. And is still something I regret today not telling her I lived.

(Mum and me at uluru. Or Ayers rock as it was known then)
images

The dingoes raised me as one of their own and trained me in their ways of hunting for years until I was discovered by a local tribe of Aboriginals. Who killed and ate my dingo parents as is their way.

(My foster parents)
images

(Me when I was discovered.)

images

Anyway it took me years to integrate back into human society and I used to get into trouble at school for fighting and biting other kids throats out.

Luckily my father, was a master in the traditional Aboriginal art of boxing. And so trained me that striking was better than biting in a fight and although the constant wearing of gloves made it difficult to tie my shoes or use a knife and fork. It did allow me to win fights in school without getting in to trouble.

Since then I have studied all the martial arts except bjj (as I can't put a gi on due to the gloves) but decided to quit when I defeated the master of each style.

I have since retired from martial arts having effectively beaten it. Finally put away the gloves and are now focusing on my new love the electric violin.

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pretty sure you wouldn't be able to speak English so fluently if you were raised by dingoes...pretty sure you would have been institutionalized for biting people's throats out...pretty sure you don't know every martial art that's out there; there's hundreds; many forms which you probably can't even pronounce. Pretty sure if you accomplished such a global, mass-level feat, there would have been something on international news stations about that. But, on the off chance that you really did have such an unbelievable upbringing, I'm glad you're still alive and that you aren't a nervous broken wreck. Very impressive, and I tip my hat to you. ...Stories like yours are probably what keep me from blowing my brains out.

TeriJazz

White Belt
Reaction score
Tooo always show the right amount of respect and discipline for whatever it is that I am doing, And how to throw a proper punch and stretches.